X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can’t get into 2002 awd x-type

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can’t get into 2002 awd x-type

So, I have an xtype that’s been sitting a while and need to get into it to get it running.

Here are the issues.
1.Battery is dead.
2. Driver side door handle is broken

The drivers side is the only one with a key on the door, and it has a broken door handle.

In my infinite wisdom I thought I could jack the car up , and find the hood release and pop the hood. Put charger on battery and unlock doors. No luck there, can’t see or reach the latch mechanism.

So, thought two. Find starter from underneath, put battery charger on positive starter lead and charge battery that way. Can’t see starter , transfer case is in the way.

Im about out of ideas at this point. Besides ordering a window and breaking it and replacing the window after I get it open.

Any other ideas besides busting a window out? Can the passenger side be “slim jimmed “???

Old 09-22-2019, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You can't charge the battery thru the starter because the starter relay will not engage.
Follow the link below to many others who have had this problem. It is doable.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lz-help-15313/

The following users liked this post:
90 5.0 (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
You can't charge the battery thru the starter because the starter relay will not engage.
Follow the link below to many others who have had this problem. It is doable.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lz-help-15313/
That Chris fix video posted helped a ton, I was looking up in the center of the hood not to the side.

His problem was passenger side side was stuck, but I’m guessing the way it looks if I pry on the passenger side both release?

Anyway off to try this next I looked everywhere before for the latch mechanism as that’s exactly what I had planned to do but never saw it.

Now ow that I know where it should be should be easy , thanks I’ll update here in a few days when I take another whack at it!

Old 09-23-2019, 01:13 PM
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

You need to concentrate on the driver side latch. That video is just to unlatch the passenger side which apparently fails most often. In your case you need to unlatch both sides. If the passenger side latch works and the cable is intact you will unlatch both latches if you work on the driver side because that pulls the cable on the passenger side latch at the same time. Working the passenger side latch will just push lightly on the cable, it will not do anything to help you open the driver side. As they say, you can't push a rope.

Others have had success with pieces of wood, with their hands reaching up through, curtain rods, etc. I went at mine every way I could and had no success at all until I went to Sears and bought the exact pry bar used in that video. My experience is only on the passenger side latch.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dh53
You need to concentrate on the driver side latch. That video is just to unlatch the passenger side which apparently fails most often. In your case you need to unlatch both sides. If the passenger side latch works and the cable is intact you will unlatch both latches if you work on the driver side because that pulls the cable on the passenger side latch at the same time. Working the passenger side latch will just push lightly on the cable, it will not do anything to help you open the driver side. As they say, you can't push a rope.

Others have had success with pieces of wood, with their hands reaching up through, curtain rods, etc. I went at mine every way I could and had no success at all until I went to Sears and bought the exact pry bar used in that video. My experience is only on the passenger side latch.
Yeah that makes sense I was backwards in my thinking which side pulled the other one.

I have long prybars (and just about every tool in existence)no worries there.

Its been driving me nuts looking for the latch but I was looking straight up the middle where they are on most vehicles. I hagent ever worked on this vehicle before so the “where things are “ part of it is new to me.

I should be be able to get over to work on it this week sometime and will update post.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-27-2019, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attach the positive jump cable to live at the back of alternator or starter motor attach clamp to a long screwdriver to contact it if you can't reach and earth lead to a good earth have someone ready to push alarm fob when you touch whichever lead you don't have connected they can zap with remote to open

Old 09-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Slownot
Attach the positive jump cable to live at the back of alternator or starter motor attach clamp to a long screwdriver to contact it if you can't reach and earth lead to a good earth have someone ready to push alarm fob when you touch whichever lead you don't have connected they can zap with remote to open
Yeah you can’t get to the starter lead from underneath or the ALT that’s why I’ve got to pop the hood.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Update,
The prybar trick worked perfectly.

Threw a charger on the battery and popped the doors open.

Now the fun begins. Guessing a good starting point should be to drain the tank somehow and put fresh gas in it and see if it will start now.

It’s been sitting close to two years.