X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I put a newer X-Type touchscreen in my 2005 saloon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Can I put a newer X-Type touchscreen in my 2005 saloon?

Couldn't find this specific question being asked before. have a 2005 saloon and a 2006 wagon, both with the premium sound system. The 2006 system will sync via Bluetooth to my cell phone, the 2005 doesn't seem to have this feature. How much of a problem would it be to put in the touch screen unit from a 2006+ model to add this? Would it be plug-and-play or would there be issues with the ECU, acquiring a new wiring harness, modules, etc.? Not interested in an aftermarket solution and would prefer not to turn this into a science experiment for the sake of this one feature.

Thanks,

Max

Old 01-20-2020, 12:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts

The touchscreen is not what gives you phone nor bluetooth. There are threads in this forum (use SEARCH) if you want to add either or both.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Dell,

A previous owner added a Jaguar audio interface box and located it in the gearshift console. It's apparently wired to a USB plug, and Apple phone plug and one red and one white RCA plug. in the armrest compartment. I haven't messed with it (I'm a decent mechanic, but my electronic skills are very poor) and I'm assuming that you can play music from your phone through the car's sound system with this setup. I did the searches that you recommended, but adding Bluetooth seems to involve fiber optic cables, a phone module and a microphone and appears to be well beyond my skill-set. Probably best that I stick with a Bluetooth earpiece.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If the previous owner put something in there try seeing if it comes up on your phone's list. Make you you have your phone's bluetooth enabled to be found. He might have already taken care of that for you.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:26 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by max224
Thanks Dell,

A previous owner added a Jaguar audio interface box and located it in the gearshift console. It's apparently wired to a USB plug, and Apple phone plug and one red and one white RCA plug. in the armrest compartment. I haven't messed with it (I'm a decent mechanic, but my electronic skills are very poor) and I'm assuming that you can play music from your phone through the car's sound system with this setup. I did the searches that you recommended, but adding Bluetooth seems to involve fiber optic cables, a phone module and a microphone and appears to be well beyond my skill-set. Probably best that I stick with a Bluetooth earpiece.
Sounds like the optional ACM has been fitted to allow use of ipod/USB/aux-in, this was an official Jaguar add-on.
Adding bluetooth phone is very easy, have a look at this thread for an example of the process: https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=112758

Ben

The following users liked this post:
max224 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default be careful re blue tooth classes, go for a jabra cruiser 2

Hi early blue tooth devices including those in the x types only support voice / phone not music. I have a 2009 xtype with factory fitted blue tooth. In my previous 2005 xtype I had the problem of no blue tooth and bought a jabra cruiser 2, and loved it. So much that I kept it and it is in my current Jag as well. What the cruiser 2 does is sit on the sun visor. It scans the FM radio spectrum and finds a part of the radio spectrum with minimal radio signals. A computer voice then tells you this frequency and you tune in your car radio (or let it search and it will jump to it as the most powerful FM signal for miles around because it is in the car!) You get crystal clear phone calls because the mike is on the sun visor just above your mouth, but everything else on your iphone / android including things like driving instructions comes out your stereo.
BTW not asked in the question but will save you loads in tyre damage I run an app called waze all the time I am driving to alert me of pot holes, cops etc.
There is a downside. you cant listen to the radio whilst you sync with your phone and can only listen to what is coming out the phone, unless you listen to the radio on the internet via your phone. But for long road journeys I listen to podcasts of my favourite radio shows anyway like steve wright in the afternoon etc.

As I say not perfect but a very good gadget to have in your xtype. you can always tune out of the Jabra to listen to the radio then when you need to phone hands free tune back in. OR use it without it linking to your radio as it has a perfectly good for phone calls built in speaker.

i dont like wires dangling around though a charge will last 2 days, so I led a wire up inside the pillar by the windscreen then it was easy to poke it behind the headlining - it comes out by the mirror = very neat install.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Ben, I'll give it a try.

Max