X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I re-use the fuel pump sealing ring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 05:55 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Can I re-use the fuel pump sealing ring?

The fuel pump went out on my 2002 X-Type. Looks like there's some great threads on replacement that are really going to help. I can get a new pump quickly, but would have to wait a week and pay $30 for a new pump to tank sealing ring, so I'd prefer to avoid that. I know some people have opted to replace this item, but in general can you get away with re-using the old one? Thanks!

Old 02-20-2020, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 730 Likes on 652 Posts
Old 02-21-2020, 10:24 PM

I went ahead and order a new sealing ring and will put off the repair a bit. From the write-ups/videos I saw it looks like a significant number of people couldn't get the old ring to work period, and at best it's already a bit of a bear wrestling the new pump in without the further aggravation of a trying to get the old stretched out ring to fit. Looking forward to getting the job done though (except for perhaps cutting a hole in my car) and will post how it goes.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:25 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

S type Jaguars have an access to the pump from under the seat so have a proper seal.
S-type Rubber Seal Fuel Pump Lid YW43-9C335-AA for reference
e.g.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Jag...-/333367785637
Cutting a hole the size of the lid will take a little longer but will make a neater job ?

Or hack a hole
How to save $$$$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5r1OMxA51s
Other S type videos may be available

I have not done this job but this is the info I have stored , hopefully not for future use.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:34 PM

Thanks, Henry. They definitely make it easier on the S-Type with that access hole and cover! I'll have to take another look, but from first glance I'm not sure the area that you have to cut out on the X-Type is flat, so the S-Type plug might not work. I haven't decided how to cover up the hole yet, I'm going to see if it needs to be something solid to support the weight of anyone on the seat or if just some sort of tape or rubber patch will be fine. The seal I was referring to is the green o-ring between the pump and the tank that seems to expand and is difficult to re-use. I'll post how the job goes and if it looks like a new green o-ring seal is really needed and what I think works for patching the hole

Old 02-24-2020, 09:05 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

After viewing the video link, think you are right about the floor not being flat.
Let us know how the job goes.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:39 PM

As an update, I put in the new pump and all seems well.

I used Dell's write up and an English chap's video for reference and don't have much too add as both were very good:

Dell's write up thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-today-205696/

English guy's video:

I used a nibbler to cut the hole, which worked well. I think trying to use hand shears might be possible but very hard, I did have to use a hammer and chisel to knock off the vinyl covering over part of the area to get the nibbler to fit, but it came off easily in big chunks. I think the new sealing ring is a good idea, the old one definitely expanded and would be hard to refit. If you do try and re-use it, I would suggest being very careful and trying to leave it in place when you remove the old pump. I used Dell's method of splicing the line that goes to the passenger side of the tank. Any 3/8" union and hose clamps that fit should work. The floor is definitely not lever, I just covered the hole with heavy duty tape. I also put in a new fuel filter while I was at it, which was an easy job (it's my first experience with this type of fuel line connector and how they hold pressure is a bit of a mystery to me!)

I also got a dirt cheap pump for $55 on Amazon. It is clearly more cheaply made than the original and I've highlighted some of the differences below but seems to work fine so far. Prices ranged wildly up and expenses brands were several hundred dollars, so I decided to give the cheap one ago (free shipping and returns on Amazon are also an important consideration out here on the islands.

Any questions or feedback just let me know.

Last edited by XtypeHI; 03-05-2020 at 07:41 PM. Reason: cleaned up links
The following 2 users liked this post by XtypeHI:
clyons (03-06-2020), Yorta2 (03-05-2020)