X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can i use my automatic as a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i use my automatic as a manual?

when my parents got the car the dealer said that the car can also be used as a automatic.
I have a 03 x type that is a automatic, it has all the normal automatic stuff and a button with a "S" on it (whats that button for?)
also then it has the 2 3 and 4 things.
Thanks

Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default dude, its an automatic.

S is for Sport mode, which runs the tranny up to higher RPMs before automatically shifting up to the next gear.

the 2, 3, 4 things are for selecting a specific gear which mught be handy if you're going up or down a mountain or something - but they're not intended for constant use. If you start using the 2 3 4 as if it were a manual shift, your transfer case and transmission are going to have a very, very, very short life, and its going to cost somebody a very lot of cash to replace them.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Oh that makes sense now.
good thing i never tried that out lol
thanks you very much

Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Charm, the tranny is capable of being manually controlled. The fact of it being damaged through constant manual use is a point of discussion here. There are members that have been shifting their cars manually for a long time and have not had any issues. Others have been told to not even try it by qualified technicians.

But, there are also a few things that you need to keep in mind about the gear selector as it doesn't work quite like what you may think.

2 - tranny is put into second gear and held there regardless of vehicle speed. So, if at a stop, the vehicle will start to roll while in second gear (not a big deal). But no shifting will occur.

3 - tranny is put into third gear and held there regardless of vehicle speed. Again, if the vehicle is stopped, the car will attempt to move itself starting off in this gear, this will lead to lots of torque converter slippage, leading to a possibly overheated tranny. This is truely meant to be either a pass through point when shifting manually from 2nd to D as if the tranny was a manual or for a controlled take off when on slippery conditions (ie, ice)

4 - the tranny is allowed to shift between gears 2, 3, and 4 as needed for the driving conditions. Tranny will never reach the overdrive gear (5th gear, aka "D"). This is meant to be used when hauling a trailer behind the car in hilly situations to minimize the shifting of the tranny, leading to additional wear on the shift solenoids.

If you manually shift the gear using a sensible driving style, you should not have any problems. You start taking the car up near red line and then slap the next gear day in and day out, plan on some major repair bills in the near future. But, I think this can be applied to every vehicle out on the roads. Please keep in mind that the computer truely has control of the tranny and if you were to be driving down the road and shift into too low of a gear (say 2nd at 60 mph), the computer will not allow the car to shift to second, but will shift the car to say 3rd to get the engine RPMs up to a safe speed, yet provide the desired outcome.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

2 - tranny is put into second gear and held there regardless of vehicle speed. So, if at a stop, the vehicle will start to roll while in second gear (not a big deal). But no shifting will occur.

3 - tranny is put into third gear and held there regardless of vehicle speed. Again, if the vehicle is stopped, the car will attempt to move itself starting off in this gear, this will lead to lots of torque converter slippage, leading to a possibly overheated tranny. This is truely meant to be either a pass through point when shifting manually from 2nd to D as if the tranny was a manual or for a controlled take off when on slippery conditions (ie, ice)
[/QUOTE]

That information is incorrect. Putting the J gate in 2, 3, or 4 does not make the tramission START out in that gear form a stop. It is the gear the tranmission will shift TO and STAY in after up shifting. If you put the J-Gate in 3 from a stop, the transmission starts in 1st, shifts to 2nd, then to 3rd and stays there until you shift out. The transmssion ALWAYS starts out in 1st. Tyr it in 3rd and you will feel the shift form 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to 3rd then it will stay in 3rd.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 PM
Veteran member

JagXV6, atleast for the 03 X-Types, per the JTIS, the tranny operates as I stated. While I haven't tried it, I would think that the JTIS would atleast have this part correct. I guess I will need to do some more looking around and see what I can find.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I believe each tranny differs in aspects to 2-3-4 (from dead stop to run ) .In my XJ40 if you select 3 you start off 1 then 2 and finally 3 and stays there .(A few months ago it started off 3 by default but that time there was a solenoid problem )
Same principle applies to 4L60E too .

Sport mode is a different it always starts in 2 as I recall , correct if I am wrong but let's talk about normal driving mode rather than sport .

We're talking about X Type so X Type can behave differently , actually I would take it with a grain of salt but since Thermo said about operating tranny system when you select 2-3-4 then I would believe in him .

Old 08-14-2010, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Well, it seems that through a bit of playing, I have been proven wrong and the words in JTIS are wrong too. I played a little with my car today doing manual take-offs in various gears and yes, the tranny will shift through the gears and shift only to the gear that has been selected. Granted, this only goes to prove that doing manual shifting (if done at reasonable engine RPMs) is not any more harmful than normal driving of the car.

I wonder what other things are wrong in the JTIS?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

WOW, JTIS wrong ....Houston we've a problem lol .May be let's say typo but still such treatises should be 100% correct otherwise it will cause mistakes .

Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Meatbag's post is a good summary IMHO. I use the J gate fairly frequently around the hilly terrain of Pittsburgh. When properly used I don't think it is any harder on the tranny than using Sport mode.

There, now this topic has been thoroughly pulverized into submission.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:27 PM

True I think if not abused the J can be used occasinally with no problem. Great expalantion above. Thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 02:21 PM

thanks for all your help! seriously.
im just going to stick with putting it on drive lol, its less of a hassle and a new driver with out to much experience like my self should probably just focus on the road mainly.
Thanks you all once again

Old 08-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

I applaud your common sense charm11! After you get some seat time I'm sure you'll get comfortable enough to play around with it a bit.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 PM

Thanks
I sure will! I am eager to try out the sport mode the most.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:58 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Well, it seems that through a bit of playing, I have been proven wrong and the words in JTIS are wrong too. I played a little with my car today doing manual take-offs in various gears and yes, the tranny will shift through the gears and shift only to the gear that has been selected. Granted, this only goes to prove that doing manual shifting (if done at reasonable engine RPMs) is not any more harmful than normal driving of the car.
Not to sound like a know it all, but ALL automatic transmission have behaved like this for 40-50 years now..... THere are a few that can be coaxed to start in 2nd gear, for gentle winter starts but the PRND(5,4,3)2L sequence has always been the same.
The numbered positions are the top gear allowed in each position. There are modern electronic Nannies that prefevent selecting too low a gear, to save things from getting messed up.
the Jag electronic automatic tranny will do its best to prevent a damaging shift.

The serious damage is when you ask the transmission to shift when under high engine power, Even in D, you should learn to lift the accelerator slightly just when the thing is going to shift gears in order to reduce the amount of energy the transmission has to manage during each shift. Get in the habbit of doing this and you will have a very long lasting transmission.

even fairly fast shifts in an automatic have a short period of time where the engine is not connected to either gear. and during this brief time, the energy of the engine has to go somewhere... ( mr Isaac Newton never gets it wrong) . You can think of this energy as accumulating in a place where it destroys moving parts of the transmisison, the less of it you put there, the longer the tranny will last.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

More common sense from jimmy. What on earth is going on around here?

LOL..

Old 08-25-2010, 11:19 AM

that good to know it makes sense and ill keep it in mind.
as far as a good healthy transmission... the light came on not so long ago