X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't lock my doors -" really need conformation"

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Can't lock my doors -" really need conformation"

Hey hows it going, I have a serious issue wondering if someone can help me - its on my 04 jaguar xtype 3.0 - I just got both driver side door & rear door replace due to a accident - everything went well when I picked it up - car was in great shap fully functional, no issues - but about a week later the fob key alarm won't activate at all - I can't even locked the doors but the strange thing about this goes on & off sometimes it work & not - also I notice when I shut the car off & open the driver side door I get a beeping
(charme) sound, when that happens that's when the fob key dont work at all - really need some conformation

These are the steps that I already tried
•I took it back to the body shop
•I replace the battery on the fob key & car
•I reset the fob key with help from this site
•I reset the car by replacing the battery
•I checked all fuses
•I checked if everything if off

Really need help don't have a garage to put my car in - want to be in the safe side - thanks

The following users liked this post:
jeffmartinaz (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

my 04 does the same things some times. When you pull the key of the ignition out and get the binging, put the key back in a turn it back and forth and take it out again. When I pull my key out and it bings I cant use the key fob lock either but if I jiggle it and turn it back and forth and take it out the binging stops and I can lock the car with the fob. I think it must be the ignition tumbler being slightly worn out and the car thinking the key is still in it.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

justin nailed it! It's all about the little metal flap in the ignition. If this flap gets stuck, it still thinks there's a key in the ignition and won't let you lock the car because they don't want you to lock your keys in the car. In fact, I think it is nearly impossible to lock your keys in an xtype due to its locking system.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off subject, don't lock your doors if the battery is dead or out of the car. The locks are all electronic.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap! You guys rock! This was the EXACT issue I was going to post and ask a question about tonight! I bought my '02 (with 72k miles!) a few weeks ago. I've never been able to lock the doors. I didn't get the dinging sound you guys have, but the same issue as described. I just went outside and jiggled my key inside and bingo...they locked! I was ready to take the door panel off to see if something wasn't hooked up correctly. I could open it if I manually locked the door while inside and the key in the ignition. Just couldn't lock it when outside the car. Thanks everyone! One more issue check of my to-do rehab list for this car. Now to decide what to do about the damn oil pan gasket leak. NO WAY IN HELL I'm paying $1000+ for what should be a 30 minute/$35 job I do in my driveway with a normal car!

Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Justink201
my 04 does the same things some times. When you pull the key of the ignition out and get the binging, put the key back in a turn it back and forth and take it out again. When I pull my key out and it bings I cant use the key fob lock either but if I jiggle it and turn it back and forth and take it out the binging stops and I can lock the car with the fob. I think it must be the ignition tumbler being slightly worn out and the car thinking the key is still in it.
Thanks - yes I tried that too - but for some reason it's not working - I notice the charme sound only comes on when there's something on or key still in the ingintion - really want to find a solution

Old 05-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know why sometimes the passenger door won't unlock w/the key? + where to buy a new fob.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

dont know if this helps but i had the same problem with my passenger door , i did the same as you replaced the passenger door and rear door due to an accident but then the passenger door would int lock done all the things that the site advise but no luck so i took a chance and bought a second hand wiring harness for my passenger door £20 ebay as a last resort (that or jaguar) so i swapped over the harness and bingo job sorted ,so what it boiled down to was that my replacement door had faulty wiring harness hope this helps

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you Pegasus

Old 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

vinny, you can buy key fobs off of ebay for like $20 and program them yourself. Don't get confused about your key though. You cannot program your key by yourself unless you are programming a third key, however you can always program a key fob by DIY.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 PM

Ok problem fix - when I first found this problem I saw a commit from this site that said to put electrical lube inside of the ingintion chamber - I did that nothing happen at the time so I went to other option - but I recently notice this situation would come & go - so I took a further inspection on the Key chamber didn't look right like if something different - so I went to my local car dealer shop they had a xtype there so I checked the key chamber & sure enough the hole where the key goes has a little metal piece that slightly covering the inner chamber that I guess gets caught behind by rubbing & where & tar over the yrs - anyway I used a little electrical lub & played with the lock - mines took awhile had to bang the chamber to release -

It works now I can use the fob key - but will replace the chamber soon ill keep u posted - thanks to everyone that helped out

Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffmartinaz
Holy crap! You guys rock! This was the EXACT issue I was going to post and ask a question about tonight! I bought my '02 (with 72k miles!) a few weeks ago. I've never been able to lock the doors. I didn't get the dinging sound you guys have, but the same issue as described. I just went outside and jiggled my key inside and bingo...they locked! I was ready to take the door panel off to see if something wasn't hooked up correctly. I could open it if I manually locked the door while inside and the key in the ignition. Just couldn't lock it when outside the car. Thanks everyone! One more issue check of my to-do rehab list for this car. Now to decide what to do about the damn oil pan gasket leak. NO WAY IN HELL I'm paying $1000+ for what should be a 30 minute/$35 job I do in my driveway with a normal car!
Unless you can do the job yourself the oil pan gasket is a $700 job. Had mine done about 4 months ago. Problem is with the transfer case. It's just where you'll need to get to one of the bolts for the oil pan.
Good luck.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyrr100
Unless you can do the job yourself the oil pan gasket is a $700 job. Had mine done about 4 months ago. Problem is with the transfer case. It's just where you'll need to get to one of the bolts for the oil pan.
Good luck.
Thanks. I spent an hour or so online this weekend shooting out emails to some mechanics in the PHX area to get quotes. I've found several as low as $500 parts and labor. I think it helped keep the quotes low by letting them know I'm shopping. I only contacted those who claimed to have experience working with Jags. I could probably spend a couple of days on my back trying to get it done, but I'm afraid I'd screw something up putting it all back together!