Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cant make sense of fuse board/lighting fault

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cant make sense of fuse board/lighting fault

Hi Guys
Been having trouble with no side lights tail lights and now parking sensors are off.
Had a look on jtis and it showed fuse 64 for front sides and tail being shared.
The problem i have is that my dash board fuse box looks totally different and doesnt have that use numbered i just wondered if it changed in 2004 as mine is a late 04 model.
Its got me beaten checked earths etc and cant find fault
any help greatly appreciated
thanks

Old 01-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

albackuk, yes, in about March 2004 jaguar changed around the wiring for the car, therefore there was a renumbering of the fuse boxes. hence you issue with the fuses not matching up.

As for your problem. Based on what you are describing, it is sounding like a wire harness issue, not so much a tail light or something of the sort problem. Unfortunately, the only way that you are going to find this yourself is to hand over hand the wiring harness. Not a hard job, but, odds are it is going to involve some dis assembly of your car. Looking at how the wiring harness is routed inside the car, I would start at the dash, underneath the steering column. Your Generic Electronics Control (GEM) Module is located there. This unit controls the turn signals and whatnot. Odds are, your problem lies in the first 8 feet or so of the cable running from the GEM module to the back of the car. Specifically, the wiring harness is going to run down along the side wall of your passenger area (to the right of your foot), under the driver's door, split into two cables with one running straight back to the driver's side tail light and the other half of the bundle running behind/under the front seats to the passenger side of the car and then running straight back to the passenger side tail light. Based on your problem affecting both sides of the car, the problem should be between the GEM module and the split. If you are looking at only a problem with one side of the car, then you are looking at the wiring harness for that side. But, also, since you have a problem with your rear parking sensor unit, this points me to the driver's side wiring harness if it is only 1 side of your car.

Please keep in mind that I am making the assumption that since you are in the UK, you have a right hand drive car. If this is not the case, the instructions are pretty much the same other than the GEM module would now be located on your passenger side (for left hand drive).

The following users liked this post:
albackuk (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 AM

thanks thermo i have found an up to date fuse box diagram (if anyone needs one let me know and ill email over) so the lights are back on only thing is that all the fuses are ok but the parking sensors are still off.
Im not sure if it makes a differance but it did flash up gearbox fault but then stopped but engine warning light stayed on.
Im pulling my hair out now
Thanks
alex

Old 01-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

Alex, what I want you to try is first setting the e-brake in your car. Now, turn the key to the RUN position and shift the gear shift to "R" (reverse). Now, get out of the car and look to see if your reverse lights are on. If they are, then your problem lies in the parking aide computer. If the lights are not on, then you are looking at a problem with either the tranny position sensor or the associated fuse.

albackuk (01-27-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Thanks thermo
i have checked and the reverse lights are on
i do have a donor car but its a 2001 model i just wondered if i could straight swap the module over to try that out as i know they work on the other car
thanks again

Old 01-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Veteran member

Alex, if you have the donor car, I say go for it. NOrmally jaguar puts a different plug on the modules when they make an update so you can't accidentally put the wrong unit it. I would check the fuse for the parking aide module first just to make sure you don't have something silly like that. If you had a bad sensor, you would get a long tone right after putting the car in reverse (lasts like 5 seconds), but nothing after that.

albackuk (01-28-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 AM

Thanks thermo
i have another issue *(aarrrgh) but will start another thread because its different