X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Died on me again on the highway!!!!!! Need Help Advice????

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Car Died on me again on the highway!!!!!! Need Help Advice????

Hello Lotospeed,

yes, my problem is very similar. My situation is if I let go of the gas on the highway and I step on the gas again, it feels very sluggish and hesitates as if the engine is chugging almost like its in the wrong gear and loses power. and than when I pull over after the engine stalls, it takes a few starts to get it going......like as if the gas just ran out. Could it be related to something in the gas tank, I heard there is a fuel pump?? i did not notice if this only happens on 1/4 tank.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: FactoryJaguarTech

Sorry yes.....Passive anti theft system.

It is tough to describe. You need to catch it while it will not restart. You are lucky and unlucky as it is dying on the road and probably jiggling it back to life. If it is a problem, it will start to do it with far more consistency.
while you're at it, whats the dsc stand for?

Old 03-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks re DSC

On the dry gas thing, I used some shortly after I bought my car and stalled on the highway. I have not had a stall since, but I also do not let the tank go below quarter tank.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

That's a good way of extending your fuel pump's lifespan . Continually running too low fuel shortens life for fuel pump .

Old 01-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hankycbr and Lotospeed,

Did you find a resolution to your problem? Mine died at 55mph after idling around in traffic for a while. I coasted to the shoulder, waited 4 minutes and it started up again. Also, when it is cold, the engine starts, but then stalls out. This is happening more and more frequentely I usually have to wait 4 minutes before attempting to start it again.

I have had a CEL with two codes, one being the air intake sensor, but that one has sense gone away on its own. The other is the p0430 catalyst efficiency code which still remains today. The Jag dealer said to put in a new catalytic converter. For a car with only 70k miles, i'm debating if that really is the problem or if all this other stuff is somehow linked together. The fact that the car runs very rich upon start-up, it dies, and you have to wait tells me that the fuel system might not be pushing the right amount of fuel through the injectors. It could also explain the low oxygen/high fuel count in bank 2, these aren't carbureted engines. Everything is electronic, and I have no idea what sensor would need replacing or tuning etc.

Anybody with ideas here? Do you think my hypothesis is correct and all of this is somehow linked?

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lotospeed
Hi guys,
Just chiming in here because I think I have the exact problem on my 2002 3.0 X-type.
I get the same code (P0442) and mine also shuts down.
I have found that mine only shuts down when I am around 1/4 tank of gas or less. I don't think mine is electrical though, because it doesn't just turn right off. It acts more like it is running out of gas (loses power and finally starts "chugging" over the course of a 1/2 mile). As it "chugs" I lift my foot from the gas peddle slightly and the chugging stops. It will continue to do this until it simply has no more power to move the car and stops. I sit on the side of the road for a minute, and restart. It will then go another 5 to 10 miles before shutting down again unless I fill the tank.

hankycbr - Does yours shut down the same way?

FJT - any ideas with the added info?
Just from searching past posts I can see you are a HUGE asset to the forum!
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Jeff
p0442 is a evap leak... its hard to diagnose because there are a lot of parts that can cause it. fuel lines, fuel cap, pcv system, and the list goes on.
ive never heard of a small evap leak causing it to stall...but it can happen i guess.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hankycbr
the lights on the dash is fine. The battery light and check engine light go on. As if the car just stalled. just like the on position when you just before you start your car. I don't think its the electrical failure?

So what does code P1111 mean anyone?

SHAGUAR: what was the final diagnosis when you brought it to the jaguar dealer to get it fixed?
battery light means the power isnt getting where it needs to go. start checking the condition of your battery wires, both + and - and to the fuse box.