X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car doesn’t go into drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car doesn’t go into drive

Hi I turned on my 03’ X-Type and When I moved the J Gate Selector from Reverse into Drive the car doesn’t move. The D on the J Gate is engaged. Is this an Issue with the transmission or the J Gate. I only have the Trip meter on the dash. I’ll check the computer for codes when I get back from work but if anybody has had any experience with this issue I’d appreciate some insight.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Daniel, this can be caused by a few things. I would first start with checking the fluid level in the tranny. If this gets too low, then you can experience what you are seeing. There is a process for checking the fluid level. If you need to know how, then let us know.

After the fluid level is checked good, I would get a code reader and see what the car may tell you. If there is a problem with the tranny computer, you should have an error code. If there is a problem with one of the solenoids, this will trigger a fault code. If you have a problem with the fluid pump in the tranny, you should also get a code for that too.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:54 AM

Okay I scanned last night and I just got a nasty misfire earlier in the week.

Originally Posted by Thermo
Daniel, this can be caused by a few things. I would first start with checking the fluid level in the tranny. If this gets too low, then you can experience what you are seeing. There is a process for checking the fluid level. If you need to know how, then let us know.

After the fluid level is checked good, I would get a code reader and see what the car may tell you. If there is a problem with the tranny computer, you should have an error code. If there is a problem with one of the solenoids, this will trigger a fault code. If you have a problem with the fluid pump in the tranny, you should also get a code for that too.

Old 07-25-2020, 07:20 AM
Veteran member

Daniel, looking at the codes that you have, all of them except for the C1145 would indicate that you have a bad coil on cylinder #2 (most likely part that is failing, may be a bad spark plug or bad injector too, but coil most likely). The C1145, that is telling me that you have a problem with the right front wheel speed sensor. You may want to look at the wheel bearing as this may be going bad and this is causing the code. Otherwise, you are looking at a wheel speed sensor that is starting to fail. A review of the wiring going to that sensor and a check of the sensor should be done to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately, none of these are the condition that is leading to the tranny issue. So, we are back to the most likely issue being that your tranny fluid is low.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:21 AM

Okay I’ll start with the Transmission Fluid and I see the recommended Fluid is WSS-M2C922-A1. Will this Fluid work I see a lot of different opinions on which Fluid to use.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ission%20Fluid

Daniel, looking at the codes that you have, all of them except for the C1145 would indicate that you have a bad coil on cylinder #2 (most likely part that is failing, may be a bad spark plug or bad injector too, but coil most likely). The C1145, that is telling me that you have a problem with the right front wheel speed sensor. You may want to look at the wheel bearing as this may be going bad and this is causing the code. Otherwise, you are looking at a wheel speed sensor that is starting to fail. A review of the wiring going to that sensor and a check of the sensor should be done to resolve this issue.

Unfortunately, none of these are the condition that is leading to the tranny issue. So, we are back to the most likely issue being that your tranny fluid is low.

Old 07-25-2020, 04:24 PM
Veteran member

Daniel, yes, that should do the trick for you. Make sure you follow the process for checking the fluid. IT is going to have you with the car running and then removing a plug on the side of the tranny. So, this may be where having a second person with you may be helpful.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:35 AM

Felt I should leave a update I had to add a quart and I’ve taken it out twice and I don’t have any issues anymore. Now I’ll deal with the misfire.Thanks Thermo
Daniel, yes, that should do the trick for you. Make sure you follow the process for checking the fluid. IT is going to have you with the car running and then removing a plug on the side of the tranny. So, this may be where having a second person with you may be helpful.