X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car doesn't Start, any help is appreciated!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car doesn't Start, any help is appreciated!!

Hey I'm back once again.

My car's been taking while to start recently, I had couple tests in the school so i didn't have time to leave it to mechanic. But accroding to him, it's my starter, but before i spend couple hundred bucks on that i wanna run it by you guys
I recently replaced spark plugs, but car was acting weird before they were replaced, just wanna make you aware of that.

This same thing happened couple times while ago but it went away,now it has come back and car doesn't start.

so is it my starter, gas lines, fuel pump or what? any help is greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance
HERE IS THE VIDEO LINK
Car doesn't start - YouTube

Old 11-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK According to mechanic, it's my starter. while somebody trying to start car, and me and mechanic looked under the hood and that loud noise came from starter.

So after doing research here, people usually get there starter repaired(or built or something) so is it because third party starters are not good or what?

so my question should i replace one or get it repaired? my local trusted mechanic said he'll take 70 dollars (labor) to put starter in, and O'reilly has starter about $120 so it doesn't sound bad but still what do you guys think?

thanks in advance

Old 11-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

maikal, from what the video shows, to me it sounds like the starter has bitten the dust. The noise you are hearing is the motor part of the starter working. But, what is happening is the lever that engages a gear to connect the starter to the flywheel is not shifting. Therefore, the starter motor is just freespinning. The other possibility is that if this only happens one in awhile, you have somehow managed to chip a few teeth off of the flywheel and therefore the starter gears can not engage the flywheel. But, you are not going to know that until you pull the starter out and take a good look at the flywheel.

For the cost of a new starter, I would say just to buy that than to try and pull the starter out, take it to a shop, have them with the starter for a week and still charge you $80 or something like that for the rebuild. I'm sure you would be willing to spend roughly $40 to have your car back a few days quicker.