X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car feels "heavy"

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

This car just glides out I stops without hardly passing 2rpm at 1/4 tank-and with passengers. It's gotta be fuel related

Old 06-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Does it feel any different if you put it in sport mode or shift I manually with he j-gate?From the look of your videos nothing really stands out. Without knowing how hard or easy you are pushing the accelerator it's hard to tell anything. My guess is you are accelerating pretty gently.I guess I'm not quite clear about what you are saying. Are you saying it upshifts too early and accelerates too slow or that when it shifts the transitions are too abrupt?

Best thing is sort out that CV issue first and see what you have then. I'm guessing that is probably the root of your problem.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for looking at my videos and giving your input.

The CV axle was replaced. The shock which was correctly seated, and there was a long control arm screw sticking all the way out! It was screwed back in. Again no problems with sticking brakes, calipers or bad bearings found.

Still feel that heaviness on upshift. To me, compared to other cars, the X revs too much to change gears, like in the video. Like it lacks pick up. Don't know how else to explain it. Also, the transmission seems confused and does not know where to go, but at the dealer I met a older gentleman with a 07 in for service and he said his auto tranny seems confused to him from the first day he got his car brand new, so it may just be I am asking for too much

Old 06-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Now the car has decided to occasionally "thump" upshifting from first to second and downshifting from second to first. It's not a whiplash jolt but I can feel the transmission downshift. This is bran new since the CV axle and control arm where fixed. Also if coming to a stop and then deciding to go, its confused and does not know what to do and where to go.

I have to say I hate his Jatco box. I can't tell if its about to explode or if its just a confused trainwreck. Does anyone think that the recall J004 is going to help my car?

Also, I removed the TCM and checked the connector for water ingress and found none. Should I open it?

Thanks for any help

Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Let me try this again;

Got recall J004 done. No improvement in the occasional bad shifting.

The problem is always out of first gear like after a stop sign or a speed bump. Sometimes the car just speeds of at the slightest tap of the throttle at other times it just lags, feels heavy and revs up all the at to 3k to go. No lights, no codes. No sticking brakes at all that I can tell. The problem comes and goes, the car can be perfect for an entire day or it can act up from one stop sign to the next

What things can be causing this behavior? Do I need to prepare for a new tranny down the line? Is it the fact that it comes and goes point to something electrical?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Spikepaga; 06-28-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Have the tranny flushed and put REAL Jaguar transmission fluid back in it.

It is different than other fluids. The computer is "tuned" specifically to real Jag Juice.

(There is a reason it ain't cheap)

Attached Thumbnails Car feels "heavy"-xtp1383-1.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Bruce!

Perhaps you are right, but searching the archives I see that many members have used the Castrol Multi Import fluid successfully. If this fluid is indeed 40 dollars a quart, it would be a very expensive experiment. Specially if the problem is a bad sensor or God forbid, mechanical.

I hooked up my life OBD 2 sensor reader to my car to see how things where doing while driving and I noticed the TPS value would most of the time be 4.3 at stops. Sometimes 3.9. A couple of times 4.7. After I filled up the gas tank, it seemed to stick at 5.1 for a while . Don't know if that's normal.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

The car shaked and stuttered very lightly today at a stop sign like it wanted to die. I am have a feeling i going to find out what my problem is the hard way. I hope I can find out before she actually stalls.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Spike, if you are getting the stalling condition, then you are more than likely looking at a fuel issue. Maybe you can cause the car to act up by taking the car out for a drive and finding a freeway entrance ramp that is nice and long. Then you can round the corner nice and easy (as slow as you can) and then do a long hard pull to get the car up to freeway speed (maybe a little beyond, but at your own risk). By doing this, if you have a problem, it will hopefully poke its head out and then you will have a code to play with.

The following users liked this post:
Spikepaga (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Thermo.

I tried going into the toll ramp and lost 1/4 tank and some change trying to get her to act up and no luck.

Thinking it was the throttle body, I got some TB cleaner and some MAF cleaner to do the MAF again (last time I only did the "outside wire") . I had already taken a look at the TB butterfly and opened it, and it looked good then and still looked good today, but I went ahead and sprayed away anyway, guess I am hoping for a miracle cure.

Drove the car around the block after the TB clean, she flooded and wanted to cut out, my XJS does the same thing when I clean her TB..,...she was fine on my 10 minute test drive, but its not unknown for her to perform flawlessly on a trip and then be errati on the way back.

I have a new fuel filter from Napa I want to instal, from the archives I understand its an easy 30 minute job, just remove the rear passenger wheel and depressurize the system. No special tools

Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

spike,

Just a note....
On both of your cars, tampering with the throttle bodies changes the base air that goes around the throttle butterfly. That's why they seem messed up after doing it. On the X-Type you need to do a battery disconnect for minute or two. That forces it to recalibrate the base air so it can idle right. On the XJS, it technically needs to have the throttle adaption reset with the Jaguar Diagnostic equipment. It will over time re-adapt, but it takes an excruciatingly long time; [remember, that's the first OBDII engine for Jag] meanwhile the idle will be erratic at best, hard to keep running at worst.

Cheers,

Spikepaga (07-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

As far as the shifting patterns, I would leave the battery disconnected for a while so that the transmission is forced to "re-learn" your driving style. It could be that the previous owner drove it differently and the car hasn't adjusted to you yet. I know when I got mine back after the transmission rebuild I was getting some extremely hard shifts from first to second but after a week or so that problem went away.

I'm not sure how long it needs to be disconnected for so perhaps someone else can tell you, but there's a possible solution that won't cost you anything.

Spikepaga (07-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

How does it respond when you use the j-gate? Does it feel the same as when you have it in auto?

Spikepaga (07-02-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjrguy
spike,

Just a note....
On both of your cars, tampering with the throttle bodies changes the base air that goes around the throttle butterfly. That's why they seem messed up after doing it. On the X-Type you need to do a battery disconnect for minute or two. That forces it to recalibrate the base air so it can idle right. On the XJS, it technically needs to have the throttle adaption reset with the Jaguar Diagnostic equipment. It will over time re-adapt, but it takes an excruciatingly long time; [remember, that's the first OBDII engine for Jag] meanwhile the idle will be erratic at best, hard to keep running at worst.

Cheers,

That's correct the AJ16 was the first OBD2 .......incidentally, I drove the XJS today and the idle is SO much nicer than the X type, so is the shifting from take of .

Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by emaraszek
As far as the shifting patterns, I would leave the battery disconnected for a while so that the transmission is forced to "re-learn" your driving style. It could be that the previous owner drove it differently and the car hasn't adjusted to you yet. I know when I got mine back after the transmission rebuild I was getting some extremely hard shifts from first to second but after a week or so that problem went away.

I'm not sure how long it needs to be disconnected for so perhaps someone else can tell you, but there's a possible solution that won't cost you anything.
Thanks for the suggestion, but each of the 5 times I drained and refilled the transmission, the battery came out. On one occasion it stayed disconnected overnight. No change

Old 07-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by emaraszek

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not tried that yet. I live in fear of the Jatco box falling apart

Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah the automatic transmission in these cars leaves a lot to be desired. It seems to me it's not suited for the car, a 6 speed would have made a better fit.

You might want to go to a place that does transmissions and get a technician there to drive it with you so that you can get feedback from them.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

After looking at your videos and reading this thread, I would just try to have the tcu relearn your driving habits. Sometimes the previous owner could have pushed it up to 3k at green lights which is why it's not shifting from first very well. If you remove the terminals from your battery for a day, you should have a completely stock tcu that will relearn your driving habits and not the driving habits of every other driver that has had the car before you.

Edit: I skipped the last few posts and this has already been recommended

Spikepaga (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by disguay
After looking at your videos and reading this thread, I would just try to have the tcu relearn your driving habits. Sometimes the previous owner could have pushed it up to 3k at green lights which is why it's not shifting from first very well. If you remove the terminals from your battery for a day, you should have a completely stock tcu that will relearn your driving habits and not the driving habits of every other driver that has had the car before you.

Edit: I skipped the last few posts and this has already been recommended

Thanks,

I have done that already with no success. I drained and refilled the transmission 5 times and each time took the battery out to refill it. The car also went in for recall J004, which entailed reprogramming the TCM.

After driving my E type and XJS this week, and then getting back in the X type I can tell that there is something wrong with my X at idle. It's like she's too noisy, almost like I am in a airplane. No clunking, but more of a turbine humming type noise. Compared, my AJ16 XJS feels like she's of at idle, and even the V12 E type is less noticeable. Like thermo said, I think my problem is fuel related, but I don't know what exactly.

To recap, so far:

New IMT O rings
PCV hose replaced with new type
MAF cleaned
Throttle body cleaned
Transmission flushed
Recall J004 completed

Thanks for everyone's replies . Happy Independence Day

Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Just a shot in the dark, but have you replaced your fuel filter yet? Costs less than $10 to do yourself and it may be clogged

Spikepaga (07-11-2013)

Quick Reply: Car feels "heavy"