X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car just died

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car just died

This has happend twice now. 2004 3.0 just died at the intersection. The first time it happened I put the care in park and cranked it back and all was well. This was 4 days and 300 miles ago. On my way home this evening car died going down the interstate at 70. This time, the car did not start back. After some time on the side of the interstate, I took negative battery terminal off, replaced and car started. This sequence of events happened two more times before I got home. After the first fail this everning the check engine light came on and stayed on. Once the car cranks all seems right (with the exception of the check engine light) till it abruptly stops again. Do not believe it could be a fuse since the problem seems to be intermitiant. Any sugestions would be most appreciated.

thanks in advance
rav

Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 PM

Saga continues.... This morning my car cranked fine and I drove 50 plus miles with no incident. I took car to autozone to see what the code was for the check engine light that went out with the mornign sun. P1234 which I was told was a non specific mechanical code. I read on another post that it could be an interia fuel swich. I left this out of my earlier post due to not thinking it was relavent. But my car was recentley involved in a slight fender bender where someone hit me in the pasanger front fender which I understand is where the inertia fuel switch is located. Would this be a problem that would come and go. It happend again this evening driving home. I had driven the car for 60 miles before it happend. I did not take the batter cable off this time, just let the car set for a minute and it restarted. Did not run great but it did get me the rest of the way home. The check engine light is still on now, the car cranks but when you try to rev engine it appears to be starving for gas. Any advice would be greatley appreciated.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 AM

hope somebody joins in on this! I am however, I think making progress on my diagnosis. I am starting to believe it has something to do with my fender bender. The only time it has happend is when someone is riding with me. This extra weight of the pasanger casuses the tire to rub against the inside of the fender. I undertand from reading other post the collission cut off valve for the fuel pump is located behind the pasanger fender. I have driven the vechile 60 plus miles by my self with lights on, lights off, AC on, AC off all with no problem. I am thinking my wife and I will go for a Sunday ride tomorrow and see how far we make it before we get stranded. Unless somebody has some wisdom to share...

Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The fuel cutoff switch is located right near the passengers foot. It shows in the owners manual how to reset it. I would try that. I think you just push it down til it clicks, but check the user manual to make sure.