X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car sat for 6 weeks and Developed leak.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car sat for 6 weeks and Developed leak.

Well I can't say that sitting would cause this oil leak but I moved the car out of the garage and noticed roughly a "few" tablespoons of oil on the garage floor. I immediately freaked out and crossed my fingers that it was the drain plug or the oil filter gasket (which it never is those items because that would be WAY to simple to remedy). I pulled the car back in and crawled under it and although my large self couldn't fit very far under the X i could see that it wasn't the drain plug or the filter :-( , upon further investigation and a burn from the down-pipe on my head, I found what i believe to be a faulty oil pan gasket. Like I said I am a larger fellow, (6'2" 230lbs) and its rough to squeeze in tight areas. but the entire oil pan is saturated, and its to the point it will probably leave a few droplets ever couple of days or so. Nothing is wet or saturated above the oil pan. I have never turned a wrench on this car and for 61,xxx miles on the ticker I find it hard to believe that the entire oil pan gasket is leaking, it leads me to believe that the oil pan may have been removed before I took ownership of the car. The underside of the car is immaculate other than this oil leak it really looks near mint under there, I never drive it in the rain and it came from a snow free climate, most certainly the cleanest X I have ever seen inside, outside, and beneath. And i believe someone has "borrowed" my transfer case air deflector or what ever you call it. can someone post a pic of what one of those looks like? has anyone had their oil pan off themselves or had the gasket replaced at the dealer, and if jag_genius or factory_jag_tech are reading, could you check the book for a replacement and tell me the labor hours involved so i can plan a 7 hour drive to the nearest *********** and know about how bad they are going to pork me?

Old 10-17-2008, 01:28 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Car sat for 6 weeks and Developed leak.

It's not an easy DIY job because of the way the engine and trans are put together. I've looked at it on the JTIS and wouldattempt onlyitif the leak was really bad. Here is the rough quote I got from a dealer in Omaha. $2100 for the job and $218 parts I guess that includes new oil and gasket etc. That's right I'm not kiddng $2318. Needless to say since mines not leaking that bad a couple of drops now and then, I'm not doing anything with mine, but will not everhave it done by a dealer.

Bob N

Old 10-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Your air deflector probably fell off. I"ve been through at least 3 of them. They are flimsy and hang too low. Usually the upper half (with the bolt in it)will stay put with the bottom half falling off.

Perhaps you could clean up the oil pan area with some simple green and find out exactly where the leak is coming from and attempt to silicone just that area instead of removing the entire pan and gasket. Not a proper fix, but a helluva lot cheaper.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:17 AM

This was not present when I bought the car 4 months ago, so for it to develop into what I saw last night would mean that it is something that needs to be kept under close eye. DAMN thats alot of money for how easy it seemed to be in the JTIS! I am gonna go get my jack from my buddys house and have a closer look. and post some pics

Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Used car dealers are quite adept at hiding such flaws prior to a sale.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:14 AM

I have a 4x4 pickup is why I don't drive it in the snow, it's not my daily driver to be honest its just a toy LOL I love it and have heard and seen videos that the AWD is amazing on the X but I have REALLY expensive wheels on it and don't like to subject them to the harsh road salts and the thing that worries me the most is " The other guy" everyone on earth will claim to be a great driver, and that they are a snow driving expert, but we all know that that isn't always the case, I would be pissed if some jackhole llost control in the snow and plowed into my truck, but if it were my Jag, OHHH MAN!So I just leave it parked LOL I really don't drive it that much regardless of the weather. I have had it 4 months and have only put 800 miles on it since I got it and 425 of them were bringing it home from where I got it LOL. Like I said just a toy.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

I bought my Jag for a winter car because I'd cry if somebody hit my 4x4truck! (Which, by the way, is a tank in the snow.)

Old 10-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

I have a lifted Jeep ZJ 4x4with 33" tires, and I still prefer the X in the snow (with proper snow tires). Why take the fuel mileage and weight penalty if you don't use the AWD when it's best suited? Tires do make a difference, I don't care if you have 8wd, you still gotta stop.

One way to avoid ruining your nice wheels is to use your OEM's for snow tires, as I stated in the other thread.

Back on point, there are plenty of good independent shops that could do the repair if you, don't want to yourself,for less than the dealer would charge. And seeing as how you are 7 hours (!?) from a dealership, might be the most sane choice. Or just chalk it up to the joys of a British car and live with it.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:02 PM

A fewvisible oil seepage also occurson my xtype when I dont drive it for a while. I have 82,000 miles and still going strong. I had my jag oilpan gasket replacement estimated and I was surprised how much they charged and how much workwas involved.
This is what I found out, when I dont drive my jag for a few weeks the oil seepage is visible and a \few drops on the floor can be seenbut when I start the engine or drivethe carto work everyday, the leak disappears and no oil decrease upon checking the dipstick. I had inquired and read that when the engine is sitting for few days, all the oil settles down the pan and that is just the time for the oil to find ways to seep in to the gasket and find its wayout which sometimes induced bygasket shrinkage when the engine is hot. But when the engine is started and get all the oil circulating, it takes the oil longer to seep on those gaskets before the engine is operated again.
I have been driving my car on a daily basis for a couple of years after I noticed the seepagebut never really got in to an oil dripping or spraying problem.

check the link below,very be informative. enjoy reading you might save yourself a lot of bucks.......
http://www.trustmymechanic.com/valve_cover_leak.h
http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/index.php/Engine_

Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Bo, I knew I could count on you to run with that! To be honest, I feel much safer in the Jag than I ever did in my truck - you are EXACTLY right about the handling traits. This truck will pull itself through 2 feet of snow no problem. Stopping and turning however,require some serious planning ahead!!!