X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Stalled on the highway, after a few minutes it started up????

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Car Stalled on the highway, after a few minutes it started up????

no the engine light did not stay on. It was exactly as SBXT described when the check engine light, battey light and other lights come on in the ON position.

I just hope it doesn't happen again. Aquill, that tube you mentioned was fine on my car. thanks for heads up!

Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No prob! I tried! Chances are though it might not still be on but I'm sure it will happen again especially if it wasn't a pot hole, water, or some surge that made it do that. These cars are good for that though!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hankycbr

I was driving home in my 02 X-type 2.5 liter with auto trans and the car just died on me, as if it stalled. I pulled over on the shoulder and tried to restart the engine. It just kept cranking but the engine would not turn over. I waited a few minutes and it started right up? This has never happened to me before. Since I don't have awarranty....anywhere I should start looking? Everything looks normal and its running fine but I would hate to be stuck on the highway if it happens again. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I had the exact same issue in the summer a few weeks after I bought my 2002 X-type (auto). It was hell! I was on my way to a buddies house in NJ, and never made it. I had to head back home. When I got to the Holland Tunnel, I refueled, and rode smooth all the way home. I went to the car dealer and left the car there. They swear it was bad gas. I have not had that issue since. I have another similar issue now that it has gotten colder, but I'll get to that a bit later!

Symptoms? Just like yours, and a few minutes later it would start right back up, only to stall out minutes later. All guages were fine, but the check engine light stayed on. Considering that I was able to go all the way home after refiliing my tank, I am inclined to believe the car dealer that it was bad gas. I was on 1/4 tank when it happened. They gave me dry gas, I refueled again, and never had the same issue again.

My new problem? It sounds like what Aquill described, but I have only noticed it since it has started getting cold outside. In fact, yesterday and today it went back up to 60 degrees and the problem has disappeared again. I'm sure it will return as soon as it gets cold in the next few days though.

What happens? I turn on the car in the morning and the check engine light comes on immediately. I get a roguh idle for about 20-30 seconds, then it idles fine. The 'crusie unavailable' light comes soon after too. The car drives in linp mode for about 30 minutes, then the 'cruise unavailable" light goes out, leaving only the check engine light on. When that happens, I can drive the car normally again. This morning, it was 60 degfrees outside, no lights came on, and everything was fine. I think i'll check that hose this weekend. Thanks guys.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 PM

Does it cover items featured in tsb's and recalls? Some aftermarket warranties specifically exclude such items.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:36 PM

I had a rough idle issue with my 06 that a can of drygas cured. However the dealer mentioned to me that sometimes the fuel transfer pump in the saddle gas tanks malfunctions and causes the car to simply run out of gas. He indicated that if I started having problems with the car stalling when the tank was low on gas, they'd replace the pump for me.

Hope this helps.
Oldengineer

Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hey NYC I almost guarantee that is your issue...my car had this issue for a few weeks and would subside for a while only to rear its ugly face when I least needed it too! You need to fix it though as the lean banks 1 and 2 is bad...take the car into a autozone and have them hook the obd2 up to the car...its right where your left knee goes when driving...oh wait your across the pond...on my left hand drive its where my left knee is I don't think jag would switch sides for that but good luck...mine blew a few codes but I'm pretty sure they were the codes for the cruise unavailable and what not...the tube takes all of but 10 mins to fix....I'd take a phillips and a pair of pliers perhaps needle nose and head to the local auto parts store that has a computer/obd for you to use...good luck...

Thanks for the heads up on that oldengineer...too bad they don't fix the problem on all cars that have the problem!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:43 AM

Hello ShaguarNYC, I'm in the east coast as well. I'm in NJ and go by the holland tunnel often. But anyways please keep us updated if you find out what was wrong with your car. I hope its a simple problem such as that vaccuum hose.
So far I put in a can of fuel cleaner into my jag and i'm gonna put in a can of Drygas as well. Now that I think about it, my Jag did stall as if there was no more gas. But so far its been running fine since that one incident.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Gotta love the jag!

Old 11-16-2007, 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Hey NYC I almost guarantee that is your issue...my car had this issue for a few weeks and would subside for a while only to rear its ugly face when I least needed it too! You need to fix it though as the lean banks 1 and 2 is bad...take the car into a autozone and have them hook the obd2 up to the car...its right where your left knee goes when driving...oh wait your across the pond...on my left hand drive its where my left knee is I don't think jag would switch sides for that but good luck...mine blew a few codes but I'm pretty sure they were the codes for the cruise unavailable and what not...the tube takes all of but 10 mins to fix....I'd take a phillips and a pair of pliers perhaps needle nose and head to the local auto parts store that has a computer/obd for you to use...good luck...

Thanks for the heads up on that oldengineer...too bad they don't fix the problem on all cars that have the problem!
Thanks, I'm going to try to tackle it tomorrow at a local autozone. I'm hoping (praying) that it is the same issue. It's the only nagging issue that I have with the car. BTW, the temp dropped to the 40s today, and like clockwork, the check engine light and the cruise unavail light came back! Am I the only one who only has this issue when the weather gets cold?

Also, if I just replace the hose, will the car's computer reset the codes on its own, or does someone/something have to clear the codes for me? Thanks for all your help.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Oldengineer

I had a rough idle issue with my 06 that a can of drygas cured. However the dealer mentioned to me that sometimes the fuel transfer pump in the saddle gas tanks malfunctions and causes the car to simply run out of gas. He indicated that if I started having problems with the car stalling when the tank was low on gas, they'd replace the pump for me.

Hope this helps.
Oldengineer
Wow. I recently read that its a good idea to avoid dropping below 1/4 tank so as to avoid any possible sediment in the bottom of the fuel tank, but now this transfer pump thing is another reason to keep fuel levels up. So far so good though, so hopefully my one experience with stalling was purely down to dirty gas. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah for sure!

Yeah they'll have to reset your codes but don't worry autozone has a obd2 to test for it...check that first and if it says something about bank 1 and 2 lean or something like that the tube is more than likely the culprit! Good luck!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:09 PM

Yeah for sure!

Yeah they'll have to reset your codes but don't worry autozone has a obd2 to test for it...check that first and if it says something about bank 1 and 2 lean or something like that the tube is more than likely the culprit! Good luck!
YEAH!!![sm=groupwave.gif]

I guess you can tell that the hose was the problem and I got it fixed! As soon as I took off the cover, I saw the hose, and it looked exactly like the picture that you posted. I drove it to my mechanic and he changed it and cleared the codes at no cost .I am so very very relieved.I thought I had an expensive computer problem, orat a minimum loads of time trying to diagnose the cause of the codes because there are numerous tsb'sfor issues with similar symptoms. Again, thanks a million for the tip![sm=partyparty.gif]

EDIT: As for the actual codes, the numbers were different from yours but the message was the same - system lean!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 PM

One other thing about the pump in the fuel tank. My mecahnic told me that any car with an electric pump in the tank (not just Jaguar) should avoid having fuel levels lower that 1/4 tank because those pumps run constantly and the only lubrication they get comes from the fuel itself. With fuel too low, the pump can fail. So, yet another reason to keep the gas tank above 1/4 full.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Good to hear its fixed! Nice mechanic you have their for sure!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:56 PM

Thats great! I'm glad that it was an easy fix. I am so paranoid whenever something goes wrong with my Jag as well.

Thanks for the pointer about not going below 1/4 tank of gas. I was always driving with the needle almost to the E (Empty).

Old 11-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

I've heard this many times before but never paid any attention to it...well that will certainly be different now that others have had this problem!

Old 11-19-2007, 10:36 AM

I must have too much time on my hands, but this thread seems like the same issue: https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_29194/tm.htm

He seemed to get the issue as winter approached, just like me. I hope he reads this thread and changes the hose! It was 37 degrees this morning, and my car started better than ever, with no rough idle, and no CEL or Cruise Unavail lights, and no limp mode.

EDIT: I just cross-referrenced the threads

Old 11-19-2007, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

See thats the funny part...mine didn't happen in cold weather though? Mine was when it was still warm? I know that hose had to have been cracked for at least a few months as cracked as it was!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 AM

See thats the funny part...mine didn't happen in cold weather though? Mine was when it was still warm? I know that hose had to have been cracked for at least a few months as cracked as it was!
I know it seems odd, but I had no trouble over the summer. I bought the car in late March when it was already warm, and had a trouble-free summer. Only in the last few weeks have I had the issue, and it coincided with the colder days. When it was 60 degrees a week ago, suddenly everything was fine again.

Quick Reply: Car Stalled on the highway, after a few minutes it started up????