Sponsored by:

Car wash fear

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by JimC64
Funny guy.....lol

Ok, so I have a few cleaning products in the boot of my car, some new microfibers, a wash mitt, some wheel cleaning products, a few shampoos, some brushes for both interior and exterior, a litre of oil, change of clothes, windscreen wash & water, baseball bat, heavy duty jump leads, wd40, safety boots and hi viz jacket. I've got a few polishes, waxes and glazes and old microfibers for wheels and clean up along with Sonax full effect and tyre dressing of course.
There are a few different car scratch products such as ScratchX and T cut of all things too.

I also have an extended wheel wrench and of course the plastic sockets so as not to damage the alloys, Wet n Black, interior air freshener ( usually Febreze ), 2 air con bombs, white spray grease, Autoglym vinyl and Rubber essential for interiors..........

There may be a few other odds n sods such as maps, safety beacon for emergency use ( useful for the hard shoulder when there is serious traffic jams ) a plug in air pressure line, some detailing clay and lubricant and a few misc items, but..........

There is absolutely, positively no Dr Beasleys in there for sure

Where are your golf clubs? That is what God meant boots/trunks to be used for.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJL
There has been several threads by forum members reporting check engine lights and other types of error messages being triggered immediately after going through a car wash. It's not so much the amount of water hitting the car but the high pressure nozzles that are used especially UNDERNEATH the car that may be causing this issue. Why take a chance?
I really can't recall any threads where a check engine light was CAUSED by a car wash. Have seen some where water could get inside the cabin because of a poor or broken seal around the cowl at the base of the windshield though. Or where the drain holes were plugged and water would get into the ECM, but those were issues that were already there.

Actually just took mine to the car wash today because it is actually in the 40s here today. Car looked great for about 1/2 an hour until the salt residue from the wet streets accumulated on it. Still looks better than it did. Might look somewhat presentable until snows comes on Tuesday. Mna, I hate winter.............

Old 01-18-2015, 11:38 PM
XJL
Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
I really can't recall any threads where a check engine light was CAUSED by a car wash. Have seen some where water could get inside the cabin because of a poor or broken seal around the cowl at the base of the windshield though. Or where the drain holes were plugged and water would get into the ECM, but those were issues that were already there.

Here is one: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-wash-117757/

Here is another: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-fault-110666/

Old 01-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

In these instances something wasn't correct and that is what caused water to get in where it wasn't supposed to. In the one thread the poster even said the windshield was replaced and obviously not sealed back up correctly. The other one said he noticed the issue when it went through the car wash, but never came back with a reason it happened. Plus, in both of these instances it was not an X Type. One was the XJ forum and the other in the S forum.

If car washes caused leaks which lead to electrical problems when customers went through them there wouldn't be any car washes because no one would use them. All I am saying is the car washes are not inherently the cause of the water issue. The issues will manifest itself when you go through a car wash because something is broken or worn, like the poster in your example said that the windshield was replaced. That is what caused his water intrusion issues. Cars are designed to be able to withstand going through a car wash without water leaking in. If water gets in you need to investigate why that is. That's al I'm saying.

Old 09-24-2022, 05:28 PM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, for the lazy ones amongst us, anyone tried running their gfc through a car wash? Any issues with water intrusion or any specific risks I’d be taking on?

Old 09-25-2022, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,483 Likes on 3,229 Posts

Originally Posted by pilegreatest
Ok, for the lazy ones amongst us, anyone tried running their gfc through a car wash? Any issues with water intrusion or any specific risks I’d be taking on?
The first time I used a 'touchless' car wash on my 1995 Mustang GT convertible, water started pouring in from the window/roof seal on the driver side. Made a mess.

Edit:
Sorry, I already posted this almost eight years ago in this thread on post #7.

Dammit you guys! Stop resurrecting dead threads!

Last edited by Cee Jay; 09-26-2022 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Zombie Apocalypse.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:56 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Still getting a floor of water to the passenger foot well due to water coming in through the cabin filter opening. I have the kit to modify the filter frame, just waiting to get a new cowl Current cowl doesn’t seal properly.
I would love to see some pictures or a video of the procedure as the instructions included in the kit are lacking details

Old 09-25-2022, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts
Old 09-28-2022, 04:07 AM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Dell Gailey thank you so much for your suggestion

Old 09-28-2022, 05:09 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by pilegreatest
I am of a generation that writes in prose not acronyms although I can usually work them out. However, gfc has me baffled. Are you testing the local car wash with your girl friend's car before risking any adverse effects on your Jaguar?

Graham

Old 09-28-2022, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 756 Likes on 673 Posts

GFC in internet slang is usually "going for coffee" so you got me, too.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:42 PM
Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts

Maybe 'Great F'n Car'