X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic converter for 2.1 petrol HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter for 2.1 petrol HELP!

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have bought Jaguar X type 2008 2.1 petrol.

Where can I buy rear catalytic converter for this car?

Is it possible to use catalityc converter from 3.0 petrol?

I can't find catalytic converter in UAE market, UK market, and USA market. All catalityc converts for 2.2 diesel or 2.5/3.0 patrol.

Please help!

Regards,
Vlad

​​​

Old 06-19-2023, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 423 Likes on 309 Posts

That is indeed strange. I just had a look myself, and I too cannot find a 2.1L petrol X-Type catalytic converter on the internet.
I can only suggest the following: I bought recently new catalytic converters for my XJ8 (X308), and I bought them from:
https://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk/
So I would suggest to contact them and ask them, if they have catalytic converters for your car...

Old 06-19-2023, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Peter_of_Australia
That is indeed strange. I just had a look myself, and I too cannot find a 2.1L petrol X-Type catalytic converter on the internet.
I can only suggest the following: I bought recently new catalytic converters for my XJ8 (X308), and I bought them from:
https://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk/
So I would suggest to contact them and ask them, if they have catalytic converters for your car...
Thank you! I have made the request, but I think they cant do that.

Old 06-19-2023, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,959 Likes on 778 Posts

The 2.1 V6 petrol variant was never sold into the North American markets, so you will generally only find it in the European, Asia/Pacific markets.
To complicate matters, Jaguar produced two diesel engine variants for the X-Type as well; a 2.0L and 2.2L engine.
Now just to completely screw with our brains...in the UK market due to their vehicle road taxing systems, they commonly marketed and referred to the 2.1 V6 petrol engine as a 2 litre, as I believe there was a step in taxation brackets at the 2 litre level. Hence creating confusion when you talk about a 2 litre engine....is it the diesel or petrol version.

Moving on......The exhaust manifolds across the entire V6 petrol engine range were the same regardless of engine displacement.
Catalytic converters are different but so too are the primary exhaust pipes and mufflers (silencers).
The catalytic converters appear physically similar in mountings etc according to basic parts diagrams. So the potential difference between Cats for the 2.1 versus those for the 2.5 and 3.0 could be as simple as chamber size or just outlet size to accept possible different diameter exhaust pipes for the increased exhaust volume.
Certainly the silencers are different and the primary exhaust pipes remain separate for the 2.1 (merging gases together inside the dual input primary silencer), whereas the 2.5 and 3.0 models had a "Y" pipe connecting the two Cat outlets and merging the gases just prior to the single input primary silencer.

You may have to look at sourcing a reclaimed rear catalytic converter from UK (European markets), Australia or New Zealand if you are trying to find an original replacement.
Failing that you may need to try to ascertain if there are any physical differences such as outlet pipe diameter or chamber sizing that might impede you from using a rear cat from a 2.5 or 3.0 instead. If it is just outlet size, then that may just be a simple modification of your primary pipe coupling to accommodate the variation.

Good luck

Old 06-19-2023, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 423 Likes on 309 Posts

Yes to what Mark wrote. Yes, it is the UK taxations laws as to why they call the 2.1L engine in the UK a 2.0L engine, given that the displacement is 2099ccm. And while I personally would try to avoid a second hand catalyst given the immense work required to change the catalysts (and if you do it you want to do it right), if there is no other way around it then: maybe...

But there is actually one other last resort - something I was at least contemplating when trying to find catalysts for my X308 after realizing how ridiculously expensive those catalysts can be (until I found the reasonably priced ones from "BM catalysts"):
And that option is to buy new generic catalysts of the right size, cut off the flanges of the old catalysts and weld those flanges onto the generic catalysts... I may add that it will be critical (and difficult) to get the angles absolutely right, because if the dimensions are slightly different you will have a difficult time to get the catalysts back into the car. Even the catalysts, which I bought from "BM catalysts" were now made very precise and it was quite a fight to get them installed. I reckon it would be worth the effort to build a jig first - build it with the old catalysts as template before you cut off the flanges - two jigs: one for each catalyst. and then it should be kind of easy to weld the new parts correctly.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:09 AM

Good morning!

Thank you so much for the detailed information!

2.1L exported in GCC countries too.

What I think to do:

Option 1: Buy a new for 3.0 liter engine catalyst and an old catalyst (case) for 2.1 liter engine and digest the output to the exhaust system in the new catalyst like in old catalyst.
Option 2: Buy two new front and rear for 3.0 liter engine catalysts and install old 3.0 liter exhaust.

Have a good day!

Regards,
Vlad

Last edited by Vlad; 06-20-2023 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,959 Likes on 778 Posts

If you get a rear cat for 2.5/3.0 and check its outlet diameter, if you do find it to be larger than the outlet of the original 2.1 rear cat, you can probably just make a minor alteration to your primary pipe replacing a short section with an expanded new section to suit the change in pipe diameter.
Probably much easier doing a small modification to the existing primary pipe rather than modifying the cat itself.