Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Changing Front Rotors / Brake Pads

Nice. Available where?

Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I GottheAkebono pads through Tire Rack... Front fitment (Eur 910 for $107.00) (Rear fitment, Eur 911 for $134.00)..But Honestly this combinationhas fantastic stopping powerand clean and noiseless..I have never been more pleased with a set of brakes in all my 35+ years of auto ownership

The EBC rotors through www.partsandaccessories.com.... Front. P/N E35GD981@ $174.64/pair and the Rear..P/N E35GD1050@ $139.36/pair

Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 PM

Good to know Thanks.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How far you get with your xj FJT?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[:@] I pulled the old rotors and pads, cleaned the calipers w/ caliper cleaner, painted them and put on the EBC dimpled/grooved rotors and red stuff pads....FJT is right, I get some squealing from the right front....

What I'm more concerned about is I now have a fairlyloud whirring noise coming from the front that was not there before. I hear it most at slow speed, it'slow pitched and goes up and down w/ vehicle speed vs. engine speed so it must be in the running gear (or tires...but like mentioned, it was not there before the brake job and I didn't rotate tires). Ichecked the bearings...both good,can't see/smell/hear anything else obvious...anyone have any suggestions....Thanks

Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  6.4 KB

ORIGINAL: RedJag

[:@] I pulled the old rotors and pads, cleaned the calipers w/ caliper cleaner, painted them and put on the EBC dimpled/grooved rotors and red stuff pads....FJT is right, I get some squealing from the right front....

What I'm more concerned about is I now have a fairlyloud whirring noise coming from the front that was not there before. I hear it most at slow speed, it'slow pitched and goes up and down w/ vehicle speed vs. engine speed so it must be in the running gear (or tires...but like mentioned, it was not there before the brake job and I didn't rotate tires). Ichecked the bearings...both good,can't see/smell/hear anything else obvious...anyone have any suggestions....Thanks
Possibly the noise from the dimpled / grooved rotors redjag? I've heard this before e few times. I'm almost sure Bucks mentioned it before too?

Jim

Old 01-18-2008, 11:08 AM
ud

Mine makes a little whispy sound too..I read somewhere with the EBC sports with grooves and dimples to expect a little faint noise like that..

Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the bfh is allways a given!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Mine makes a little whispy sound too..I read somewhere with the EBC sports with grooves and dimples to expect a little faint noise like that..
That's right, I read that also but had forgotten about it....thanks!

And yes, I did need the BFH!

Old 01-18-2008, 06:32 PM

There is no real way to check the bearings on the front of xtypes. If you tires are in good shaps, no chopping or unusual wear brakes or bearings. If you can get car all the way up in the air and have someone put it in drive and run it up to 40 or 50. see if noise is there. That eliminates tires. Bearings do go bad.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  6.3 KBName:  X6JYMSAAB5.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  6.1 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  6.4 KB

ORIGINAL: RedJag
ORIGINAL: Dennis
That's right, I read that also but had forgotten about it....thanks!
And yes, I did need the BFH!
I've seen n heard this loads of times on different forums. If I remember rightly, Buck said he just turned the volume up on the radio
Thought that the extra stopping power was worth it, he said!

Jim

Old 01-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

I remember hearing that as well...BTW thats the way we diagnosed my ford escape needing bearings and ensuring which side needed them the worst...

Old 01-19-2008, 10:23 AM
ud

I don't think that is the noise he's talking about Bo, the EBC instructions that came with the Rotors mentioned to expect a slight whirring or whisping sound I don't remember exactly how they put it..but it happens while just rolling down the road not only while brakingand that it will deminish as they bed in some, but will not completely go away..I agree with you, if it sounds like a card in the spokes of a bicyle or whinning sound like a bearing, then there is something for sure wrong..But in his case, it only appeared after he changed his rotors not before..

Here are a few quotes from reviews;

I have been using the EBC Sport Grooved rotors for 1.5 years on my 2002 WRX, and I think they are wonderful. The noise only lasted through the break-in period and then dissipated. The initial noise is due to the coating being worn off the contact areas. I am now deciding buying new EBC rotors or trying something new. -- Review submitted: 2005-03-12
The combination of EBC rotors and pads is simply awesome! It s a night and day difference over the factory brakes. Responsiveness and stopping power are both greatly improved, I ve noticed LESS dust on the wheels, and the noise the slotted rotors make (described by the literature as an "airplane" noise) is actually cool. I did have some minor squealing during very light pressure stops, but it seems to have stopped. -- Review submitted: 2005-10-21
I have EBC Sport rotors (slotted/dimpled) on my other car and yeah, they're noisier than blanks. They make a kind of whirring sound. My motorcycle does the same thing. (most bikes have cross-drilled rotors) It does diminish somewhat after break-in.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:07 AM
ud

I don't know then..Hmm, you might be right..but it only happened since he changed them..that's what gets me..[&:]

Old 01-19-2008, 11:19 AM
ud

True, good advice, cuz they are kinda flimsy and bend easily

Old 01-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

How you get the wheels to spin without jacking the whole car off of the ground?

Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 PM

Thanks for all the input....as an FYI, I only did the fronts because my rear pads were backordered.

I went back and read the insert that came w/ the rotors. EBC says you will experience an "airplane sound". After reading some of your responses, I had a "lightbulb" experience andremembered noticinga very similar sound coming from the front of my wife's ML320 a year or so ago....right after I had the shop put on EBC green stuff pads and EBC slotted rotors...soI am convinced this is where the sound is coming from on the X. The noise is constant, not just on braking, and particularly noticeable at low speed (as there is little other noise to drown it out). I will take Bo's advise, however,and take a look at everything to make sure nothing else is rubbing, scratching or otherwise unadjusted. My back pads are now here, so I am replacing those tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if I can pinpoint a similar "airplane sound" coming from the rear after I replace those. I'll definitely update. Asanaside...I gotta give credit to my local Advance Auto Parts...called there to purchase adisc brake caliper tool and they said I could buy one or just use their loaner for a 100% refundable deposit....

I'll try to get some good pics up tomorrow also.

Quick Reply: Changing Front Rotors / Brake Pads