X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine light/ codes P0305, P1313, P1316

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light/ codes P0305, P1313, P1316

I posted this in the X-Type section, but am posting it here also... Thanks JimC64
Thanks to everyone on the site, I've referenced it often but now but now am having specific problems. I have an '03 X-Type 2.5 liter automatic, 94,000 miles. I am pulling these codes, P0305, P1313, P1316, for about a month now with no luck troubleshooting the problems. The original misfire code was on cylinder 2. I took off the intake and replaced the the coil on #2 and put it on cylinder #1, then cylinder 1 was misfiring. I bought a new coil (a newer version I was told) and i got a misfire on whichever cylinder I put the coil on. After returning the coil, thinking it was a bad coil, I bought a used, original version coil from a junkyard and it also misfires wherever I put it. Kinda strange and I'm not sure what to do other than replace all 6 with "new version" coils. I also changed out all the plugs to iridium plugs 2 weeks ago. I replaced the top OCV ring a few months ago because there was a minor leak, and just recently sealed the bottom one with some gasket sealant which seem to have done the trick, again, a slight leak. The PCV tube doesn't seem to be sucking any air, the brake booster line seems to be OK. I broke it off during original coil transfer but it's sealed now and isnt sucking any air. The air filter looks clean and I did run fuel injector cleaner through. I'd like any opinions on anything I should try before replacing all 6 coils. Thanks again to everyone on the site!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me make sure I understand. You bought a new coil(Jaguar?) and whichever cylinder you put the new coil on misfires with the new coil but not the original coil? You suspected the new coil was bad so you got another one(Jaguar?) and it misfires on whichever cylinder you install it on? Cylinder #5 is your only misfire code other than the catalyst damage codes? You can put one of the original coils on #5 and it no longer misses? Does the engine actually miss where you can feel the performance problem or does it just set the code for the cylinder that has the new coil installed?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:12 AM

HI Real_Tech. Yes, I bought a new coil from the Jaguar dealership and whichever cylinder i put that coil on, will misfire. It was the same with the original cylinder 2 coil, whichever cylinder i put that coil on, will misfire. I returned the coil to Jaguar, they almost wouldn't take the $75 coil back, and the next coil I bought was a new on from Schucks. I returned that one also because it was doing the same thing. So I bought a used older style coil from a junkyard and it's doing the same thing. I had tried putting the original coil on the now misfiring #5 and it still misfires. It just doesn't make sense that it wouldn't take a brand new coil, especially after I did the first switch of coils #1 and #2, and the misfire then went to cylinder 1. I can definitely feel it miss. I can feel the misfire lightly when its idling, but its really noticeable going about 35 - 40 MPH. Thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Greetings again, I'm hoping I can get some suggestions as I continue to have difficulty with my misfire problem. I finally got my hands of an original style coil from a 2003 2.5 liter. This coil has an ohm range that is very similar to the good working cylinder 1 and cylinder 3 coils. The original bad coil tested well above these 3 coils so I know the coil I just received is OK. I installed this coil on cylinder 5, had the engine light removed, and to my surprise the engine light came on again with a cylinder 5 misfire. I moved the new-to-me coil that I had just placed on the 5th cylinder, to the 3rd cylinder. I erased the codes again and eventually got a cyl 5 misfire again. So after all this time of the misfire following a newly installed coil, the misfire stayed with an original coil. I know the coil i just received is working properly because the cylinder it is on is not misfiring. Any suggestions on what I should try next? I did replace to plugs to iridium plugs about a month ago so I dont think that could be the problem. Is there a certain way I should install the coil in regards to the battery? I'm just at a loss of ideas at this point. I appreciate any suggestions.