Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light: P0430 - Bank 2 Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cataylist problems

Originally Posted by blaydes99
After getting the light and reading the forums, I decided that the only thing I could do at the time was put some of that Redline fuel injector cleaner in.

A few days later, I was able to go in to my mechanic. As he was reading the codes, I noticed that it was giving a P1111 code. After clearing the P0430, the check engine light went off and has stayed off ever since.

Gas mileage seems to be better too... I would love for this to be a permanent fix but I won't be too surprised if the light comes back on down the road. For now though, I love NOT seeing that CEL!

EDIT: UPDATE: Light came back on, same code. Guess it's time to replace an oxygen sensor or the cat. *sigh* Hope I can find a pretty good deal.

I do believe the error code you are getting is a result of a partial clog of the bank 2 cataylist. I had purchase a used 2002 jaguar xtype with same code had replaced all oxygen sensors and reset computer. Code will come back on after about 70 or so miles. My mechanic stated it is a partial clog of the bank 2 catalyst converter. I would try a cataylist cleaner before replacing the cat. A partial clog may be repaired however if it is fully clogged it may have overheated the cat and maybe in worse cases collapsed the internals of the cat then it will need replaced. Hope this may help

Old 11-29-2020, 12:40 PM
Default P0430 cat. ?

?will the computer on x type give out p0430 automatically on a reached amount of miles?

Old 11-29-2020, 01:23 PM
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

No. The P0430 is a result of the comparison of the signals of the upstream and downstream oxygen sensors on each catalytic converter. Normal operation, the upstream O2 sensor should be bouncing around a lot while the downstream sensor should be very stable. If you can look at the actual O2 sensor outputs with an OBD scanning tool you should be able to see the problem. Either the upstream sensor isn't moving much (signal should be changing at least every couple seconds, even as fast as a few times a second) or the downstream sensor is moving too much. Downstream should stay steady most of the time. If you are lucky you have a bad O2 sensor. Changing the catalytic converter is painful.

The following users liked this post:
Eric Mcclements (11-29-2020)
Old 02-02-2021, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the life of me I have NO idea how to just send you a private message so I am sending you this hoping you receive it.

I am in Utah as well in PC, and have a couple of X types. I wanted to ask you on your O2 sensor what problems and codes you had and if they were fixed by the replacement of the O2 sensors. Is it possible you could just send me an email to david@duiutah.com
or I suppose Ill try to find my messages in here.
I have a sometimes flickering yellow light (along with a constant engine light throwing codes each bank lean out of range, fuel pump, and both knock sensors. Ive heard no knock and yet get that bucking or fuel starvation "bucking" where you know either timing or fuel is being cut off. However, to be clear, its not the fuel pump. I thin ive got a bad signal from the knock sensor OR a bad connection because of the way that yellow light goes on w the message "No Cruise Available" additionally I have had the light go on while fueling at a full stop and at other times NOT under load. Anyway if you wouldnt mind dropping me a line that'd be great. Ive had seven of these cars and am well familiar with the differential diagnosis on them, was a mechanic early in life, and have excellent aptitude but this one has me stumped and ready to replace

thanks, Dave both sensors.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

You may send a private message to a member of this forum by clicking the 'Send A Private Message' link in the private messaging section of your user control panel (more info), or by clicking the 'Send a Private Message' link in the drop down menu that appears in a member's posts when you click on their username.

You won't see the 'Send a Private Message Link' if the user has disallowed that in their privacy settings.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:11 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

David you say you a a few xtypes so I’m wondering if you have already checked the for vacuum leaks ? Imt seals, upper and lower intake manifold seals, and the pvc hose and also the brake booster plastic line. Those would be your main culprits for lean codes. Also have you cleaned the MAF sensor. Next would be have you changed the spark plugs and if you have did you use the correct ones.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:01 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neville Hobbs
Did the problem ever return? I have a similar problem.
I tried the spacer on mine, it lasted for about a month then the problem returned, I did not replace the sensor though.

Old 02-11-2021, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by BudL1te
I tried the spacer on mine, it lasted for about a month then the problem returned, I did not replace the sensor though.
I put the 1 1/2” spacer in mine and so far it’s been two months and hasn’t returned lol

Old 02-11-2021, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by TonyJ1977
I put the 1 1/2” spacer in mine and so far it’s been two months and hasn’t returned lol
I used the 1.5 also, I am not as lucky

I did run the car for quite a while with the CEL on, I just didnt take the rpm over 2800 to avoid the engine cutting out so that may have damaged the cat converter

Also, I have not changed the o2 sensor either, not sure if it would make a difference, I believe I read that extended driving in limp mode will damage the converter.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:15 PM

I used the 1.5 also, I am not as lucky

I did run the car for quite a while with the CEL on, I just didnt take the rpm over 2800 to avoid the engine cutting out so that may have damaged the cat converter

Also, I have not changed the o2 sensor either, not sure if it would make a difference, I believe I read that extended driving in limp mode will damage the converter.
driving it with the cel flashing it sure will. For the engine cutting out have you changed the plugs yet and if you did what ones did you use

Old 02-11-2021, 08:41 PM

driving it with the cel flashing it sure will. For the engine cutting out have you changed the plugs yet and if you did what ones did you use
I dont think I changed them, if they were good I probably just cleaned them up. Not sure though, dont recall and have worked on several cars since then.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used the spacer on my 02 x-type about 20,000 miles ago and still no problems. Don't tell the FEDS on me.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:49 PM

I had to do quite a bit.
ILT Orings
Vacuum Booster Line
Upper and Lower intake gaskets
Brake booster

It was a little involved but, those issues are done so the CEL does not come on for that any longer.

Only the Cat and occasionally the fuel pump.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:07 PM

I had to do quite a bit.
ILT Orings
Vacuum Booster Line
Upper and Lower intake gaskets
Brake booster

It was a little involved but, those issues are done so the CEL does not come on for that any longer.

Only the Cat and occasionally the fuel pump.
I had chased that same cutting out and 3 sets of spark plugs later I finally got rid of it. Bosch fine wire double platinum plugs cured it and it hasn’t done it since. The other two sets still looked new when I took them out so I’ve since put them in other rides and they run fine

Old 02-13-2021, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 370 Posts

Ive written several detailed posts about my troubleshooting my p0420 and or p0430 cel. Search my posts on it and youll be in good shape. Mine was caused by a slight leak believe it or not.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:53 AM
Default Sooo

God dang! I just flew from Tampa to San Diego and the seller drops the - “this just came up” take it to a dealer to get scanned… what do I need to get? What are these spacers?🤷🏻‍♂️