X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clunking in rear+caused brake line to burst

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking in rear+caused brake line to burst

New to forum and X-type series. Been a Series3 guy for years now and other car is 1985 XJ12 sedan with Euro specs driving around states with it.

Picked up a 2005 X-Type wagon. driving home(yes) from dealer hit some normal small bumps and noticed clunking and obvious loosen items or broken that were not like that on test drive. Dealer did do alignment, rear brakes and tires for me before final deal.

Went over in-town rail tracks which made another clunk and lost the brakes.
Car flatbed back to dealer.

Could broken rear control arm somehow cause brake line to burst?
Dealer working on it today. I refuse pick it up until clunk is gone. could of been much worse if on the 20 mile highway drive home

Old 09-11-2012, 11:38 AM

could caliper issue cause that much clunking?

Old 09-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

First off, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of useful information here. We are a friendly bunch and as a result, we do ask that you stop by the New Member section and introduce yourself. There you will figure out who the movers and shakers are around here.

As for your problem. When you lost your brakes, if the control arm failed enough to cut the line, then you would have dropped the car on to the road.

There should be enough slack in the line to allow for some movement of the suspension. So, it may be possible that if you bought the car from a "corner lot" (ie, non-Jaguar dealership), they may have found a line that would work, but in fact was a few inches too short and when you stretched the suspension going over the tracks, it was enough to separate the line.

Granted, could be looking the other way and if they installed too long of a line and didn't restrain it, the line may have gotten caught up in something and cut that way.

Without seeing how the line was run and where the failure was, this is all speculation.

The lines on our cars normally do not fail. The failures that are coming to mind were normally caused by either a mechanic letting the line catch the caliper when the mechanic dropped the caliper (resulting in the end starting to leak very slowly) or someone had a tire fail and the tire belts got wrapped up on the inside of the wheel and it damaged the brake line that way.

Last edited by JimC64; 09-11-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: CREATE LINE BREAKS
Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

The brake line to the rear left and front right brakes is separate from the line to the rear right and front left, so you should have retained enough braking to safely stop, although needing a longer distance. Was that the case or did you lose the lot? It would be an additional concern if you did lose all the brakes!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 PM

thanks for the replies. I will introduce myself this week on the forum . Been bit hectic between work and dealing with this mess.

-I did not lose 100% of brake power since not all fluid leaked YET. I drove it half mile to office and parked.

-The rattling and obvious clunking of something under the car issue still not solved. Whatever that is/was caused brake line to burst. They had car on lift at dealer most of the day and still found nothing

-I never took 100% possession of the car. due to my small town and its tax clerk who would not fax the paper showing I owed no property taxes to the dealer, the dealer popped on a dealer plate and gave me a loaner slip to go get the paper in person since I was dropped off at this dealer 25 miles from my house. That is how I was driving the car at the time of this. I signed their agreement and the partial finance papers. Gave them $500 deposit last week and $5500 bank check yesterday. Setup insurance etc

I think I can technically walk away still and possible just lose $500.
80k on the car. Interior looks new. Engine and transmission seemed smooth. Always wanted one of these wagons...

Hoping they 'find' something

D

Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Clunking from the rear is fairly common on X-Types, and I would not automatically assume that the clunk and the brake line failure are related.

You said:

Originally Posted by dietrich
Dealer did do alignment, rear brakes and tires for me before final deal.
So the dealer was in there working on the rear brake assemblies before you took delivery. I would guess that they didn't complete the work properly at that time.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 AM

Back from dealer and home with me. driving great.
They took entire rear right wheel area out and put back.

time for the ACM now. 2005 premium system sounds better than I expected.