X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch does not slip but wont disengage while shifting!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch does not slip but wont disengage while shifting!

My wife complained of hard shifting on our 05 x type 5 speed. so i drove it and you basically are float shifting. you have to match revs to get the thing to shift. but when at idle you can press the clutch and it shifts just fine. the wierd thing is the clutch acts normal when leaving a stop sign and does not slip at all. Is this the pressure plate? Slave cylinder? does it have a slave cylinder? any advice would be greatly helpfull!!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a faulty pressure plate, maybe air in the system. Slave going bad

Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have similar problem , i took my car for service Xtype Estate 2007 , as i was driving i could not shift gears but when i switched off the Engine the car could go into gears but once it is on and moving it was not going into gears , eventual the clutched was not working and it gave me a low brake fluid fault , i added the brake fluid and it is still giving me the same fault .... i can drive the car but i have to switch it off to go into gear number one or reverse , when it is moving i can change into other gears !!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! im thinkin its the pressure plate or slave cylinder. since the clutch does not slip its gotta be one of the two. I have the same exact problem. im gonna try to bleed system. Does anyone know where the clutch master cylinder reservoir??? Is it part of brake system ????

Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 PM

Bled system and no change!! dont know where to go from here!!! Any ideas would be awesome!!

Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

2jag - did you ever get to the bottom of this? What was the problem?

Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jag
Bled system and no change!! dont know where to go from here!!! Any ideas would be awesome!!
In my 2.0D '08 estate, around the 60k mile mark, the clutch started not to release the gears until the pedal was ½" from the floor and then would bite instantly on the way up again. It turned out to be the dual-mass flywheel having problems and the "spring fingers" (don't know the correct term for them) had started to break off.
Stratstone Jaguar replaced it under warranty and loaned me an XF through Jag Assist while it was done. Cheers guys!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 AM

Hello all
I have been to 3 trans shops. They all concluded that it was a trans problem. weather it is end play in shaft or syncroze. I am getting the trans and clutch replaced. I am putting in a used trans with 58k on it. Hope this solves all the problems. Just kinda bummed to have to do this on a car with 70k on it. I will let you guys know how it all turns out!

Old 10-06-2011, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Hopefully, things will get your own way , keep us updated

Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 PM

Well here is the update. The clutch was shot someone beat this car bad, the plate under clutch material was blue!!! so far i have put a used trans, new clutch, new slave, and the shop got car back together and guess what??? it still does not work): I hope its the clutch master cylinder. that is the only thing in the whole system that i has not been replaced. Let me know if there is anything anyone knows that me, the jag dealership, and the trans shop is missing???

Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Did the transmission shop replace the dual-mass flywheel while they were in there? Did they inspect it properly? Do they even know what a dual-mass flywheel is? See http://www.understeer.com/pdf/dualmass.pdf

Do some google searches on the term. Check youtube too, to educate yourself about the kinds of problems they have.

My car is currently in the shop having a clutch/slave/flywheel replacement done. I had very similar symptoms to those you've described. Check this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...failure-61044/

In short, if a dual-mass flywheel fails, it can wobble enough that it maintains contact with the clutch disk when the clutch pedal is engaged.

In my case, the clutch disk was also beat up. We replaced the flywheel as a precaution. Mine had more play in the flywheel springs than is normal - rotational play - but seemed fine for both radial play and axial play. I *doubt* that this would cause clutch damage, but it seemed like a smart move to replace it while we were in there.

The following users liked this post:
2jag (10-31-2011)
Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Wow, yours was doing the exact same thing!!! I am replacing the master cylinder tonight. But my like the its the flywheel. they did look at it said it seemed fine. i dont know how many they have delt with though so who knowa what fine means? Im thinking it the master of flywheel. It has to be one or the other cause there is no other parts. let me know how yours works. and my clutch disc was actually broken and pulling away. what caused that? I feel your pain, i have about 2600 into mine right now and i pray it does not have to come apart again.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM

I would recommend that you DON'T do the master cylinder or anything else that might possibly give that tranny shop an out. They should have recognized a faulty dual-mass flywheel, or should have at least recommended replacing it as a precaution, and they didn't. They're going to have to go back in there to replace it, and they should be liable for the labor involved. You, appropriately, would have to pick up the expense of the part.

If you muck with the car any further without giving them a chance to fix what they should have fixed already, then they may try to claim that you damaged something. Don't touch anything without going back to them first. If they want to try replacing the master cylinder, then let them. It's less than an hour of labor, plus the expense of the part ($120 to $150, depending on your source), and you'll have to pay for all of that. If the master cylinder solves the problem, then great. If not, then you're on to the flywheel, and you can have a nice, friendly discussion with them about the wasted parts and labor for the master cylinder.

As for the flywheel, I got mine from Nalley Jaguar (one of this forum's sponsors) for $616, including shipping, when the local dealer would have charged $750 to my independent shop, and they would have added tax.

If your car turns out to have the same issues mine did, then there's no way around going back in for the flywheel. But you shouldn't have to pay for that labor twice. The tranny shop should have spotted that. Tell them to save the used part for you when they're done. If they toss it and say the problem was something else, then they're trying to hide the evidence of their mistake.

BTW, I hope you're paying for this with a credit card. That, at least, gives you some recourse.

Last edited by rothe; 10-28-2011 at 03:50 PM.
2jag (10-31-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks so much for all the info. unfortunetly the problem still exist. I gotta think this through. New clutch, pressure plate, bearing, slave cylinder, master cylinder. This is a nightmare. Thanks James for all the info. I did do the master and it did not do anything. The hard thing is that the shop that did it is kinda someone i know and its a small town. He did the work for about $300 lesss than anyone i called. So it must be the flywheel??? What is that grey little box in the clutch master line?? Is it a valve?? or something like that? Here is what happens. the car starts and you push in clutch, wont go into any gear. with car off it will though. also when you start it in gear the car wants to go without releasing the clutch. Could it be anything other than flywheel? please help

Old 10-28-2011, 09:24 AM

OK. So you have a good relationship with the shop. It's a small town, so your guy probably doesn't want word getting out that he can't fix stuff that he charges money for. If you speak nicely to the guy, then he'll probably want to continue to work with you. You have nothing to lose by continuing the conversation with him. You have the cost of another clutch job if you don't, and you get somebody else to remedy the problem.

I would gather some select bits of information about dual mass flywheels and present it to him. We know that they're a failure point on manual transmission versions of these cars - there's some evidence of that just by poking around this and other forums.

If the flywheel bearing or some other moving component of the flywheel has failed in a manner that causes the flywheel to protrude towards the clutch, it's going to prevent the full release of the clutch disc and eventually overheat the clutch and flywheel. That can cause both the disintegration of the clutch friction material and the bluing of the flywheel that you mentioned. The bluing of the flywheel is the strongest evidence that you've stated that the flywheel itself has overheated. Note that when these flywheels overheat, the damping/lubricating grease inside the flywheel, around the springs, can leak out of the flywheel and can cause the springs to fail. Bottom line is that the flywheel should have been replaced.

If your guy hasn't seen many (any?) dual mass flywheels before, let him know that they're increasingly common. Many other European manufacturers are using them now, and I even saw mention of them being used on Corvettes as long ago as the mid-nineties. He's going to see this happen more often.

Show him these links:

LuK | Products | Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF)

http://www.understeer.com/pdf/dualmass.pdf

Dual Mass Flywheel

That third link talks about the prevalence of dual mass flywheels in diesel engines. Smaller diesels, like the ones available in the European market for our cars, need this technology more than our "petrol" cars do. But that doesn't mean that our cars don't have dual-mass flywheels. They do. It's the only kind of flywheel that you can order for our cars.

These youtube links might also help:

Worn Dual Mass Flywheel - garageexeter.com - YouTube

CTS-V dual mass flywheel - YouTube

trashed dual mass flywheel - YouTube

There are MANY more good videos on Youtube that demonstrate dual mass flywheel failures. They also show how increasingly commonplace the technology is.

I'd have a nice talk with your shop again. Maybe even show him this thread. E-mail it to him and he can check it out over the weekend.

I'll bet that he'll want to make good on his oversight. If he does, and you feel he went above and beyond the call of duty, you can kick him a few extra bills, but I don't think you're obligated to at this point. That'll be for you two to work out.

2jag (10-31-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the dual-mass flywheel is only in the diesel X Types. We've got a lot of diesels blowing smoke here and confusing everything. There should really be two forums for gas and diesel X Types.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:38 AM

Tony - I don't want to discredit you, but I've seen it with my own eyes: there's a dual mass flywheel in my car. I ordered a replacement one from Nalley Jaguar and they had it in stock and knew exactly what I needed. I've had the new part and the used part in my hands, and they are both the same design, and are clearly of the dual-mass variety.

This is on my 2004 manual transmission, petrol/gasoline -powered car. So far as I was able to determine from the Jaguar electronic parts catalog, that part is common to all US-spec manual tranny X-types.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 PM
2jag (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 12:34 PM

Once again thanks you so much for all the info!!! it has mae some sense out of all the unknowns i have been facing. I will do what you said about talking with the shop. he ordered a flywheel for me, i told him to make sure it was the one and only right one. I just feel like there is something else gonna pop up. its just one those cars as much as i hate to say it. All i know is being on the website has been a huge help. Its nice to have informed people who are actually educated an willing to help. Im goin to show the shop the video s you sent as well. I feel like he will work with me and not charge me again to pull it all apart. we will see though. I will let you guys know what he says and how it turns out.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Rothe, you're right it is dual mass flywheel. I said what I said because I've never seen it mentioned in any Jaguar literature like the JTIS and I'd never read of a failure in any V6 X Type other than yours.

Quick Reply: Clutch does not slip but wont disengage while shifting!