X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch does not slip but wont disengage while shifting!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Tony - no sweat. Thanks for your response. FWIW, I've had reason to search this and other forums on this issue, and there is a some indication that these problems happen. I won't go so far as to call it a weakness in the drivetrain - not like the transfer case is so well known to be - but it is just another moving part that can fail, unlike any traditional, one-piece flywheel.

2Jag - when he goes back in there, have your guy verify that the new slave cylinder is OK. My car just got back from the shop yesterday, after yet another delay because the new slave cylinder was apparently defective. My shop had to go back in and replace it, at their labor expense of course. I feel bad for them. (Really. PITA job, especially when you're not getting paid for doing it twice!)

Jag actually has a service bulletin on replacement slave cylinders that can be damaged during installation. My mechanic was definitely aware of this before the job was started, because I brought it to his attention and he had already read the bulletin that I was bringing to his attention. We both found it via AllData. But if your guy was not aware of this bulletin and stumbled into the same faulty installation procedure that the bulletin warns against, that might explain your ongoing problems.

He'll still have to go in there if the problem is the slave cylinder. Do replace the flywheel anyway.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks once again for the info! i will try to find that bulletin on the web somewhere. i dont have alldata. well the shop has the new flywheel and i did mention to make sure the slave is working. the shop has been busy and i am just waiting for them to open it back up!!!! I am just wondering if this is gonna be the end of troubles??? or should i try to sell the car? Just dont know what to do it only has 70k on it. What are other known problems for this 05 x-type? anything else i need to be aware of?? thanks again for helping through this whole process. i hope that i can help someone down the road the way you have helped me!!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Any results? What's the verdict?

My clutch pedal is sticking down a bit. Could be bushings in the pedal assy itself. Or could be hydraulic. Don't yet know.

Some cars (not sure about the X-Type) have a device called a "clutch delay valve" that prevents inexperienced drivers from "dumping" the clutch, by simply restricting return flow.

I'm not sure my car has one, but the feel is so weird, I suspect it does. Most experienced drivers prefer to remove a "clutch delay valve", as it's removal results in a normal clutch feel.

BMW drivers generally hate the CDV.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:37 AM

I'm very skeptical that our cars have a clutch delay valve integrated into either hydraulic component. I've had my hands on both the master and slave cylinders, and saw nothing about either assembly that looked any different than any other design I've had my hands on.

FWIW, I know that I read a TSB somewhere about a clutch pedal return spring that they added to the pedal mechanism after the initial model years of the car. My car (April 04 build, IIRC) has it, but it certainly didn't need it when I first replaced the master cylinder. I initially had some trouble getting the master cylinder mounting bolts lined up with the pedal assembly mounting bracket, and actually drove around for a day or two without that helper spring installed. You'd be hard-pressed to notice the difference in pedal effort. So I think the factory just tried this as a band-aid for failing clutch hydraulics. Like yours.

Replace your master cylinder. If that fails, plan on a slave cylinder replacement, and budget for a new clutch and all the rest that you should do while you're in there. Depending on what you see, you might be able to skip the dual-mass flywheel replacement that I had to do.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:06 AM

So for anyone who was following this post here is the results! I beleive the dual mass flywheel went bad. this caused the clutch to get hot and break the disc. which in turn led to the incomplete disengagement. which in turn caused the syncros to go in the trans!!. So new parts include, clutch master, clutch slave and bearing, clutch disc and pressure plate, used transmission. So the lessons i have learned , when you have a car apart and there is a possibility another part is bad, replace it! I am happy the shop took the car apart again and replaced flywheel for nothing! Now the car shifts smoother than it ever has. just bummed that i had to figure out what the problem was myself and relay to the shop!! And a side note the car only has 70k on it and there was no fluid in transfer case so anyone with one of these cars needs to add fluid to that! and you have to pump it through the drain hole the fill hole is impossible for one take out and for 2 to fill it!! Thank you Rothe for all the help. i could have never figured it out without your help!!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 AM

and dah! the most important part we had to replace was the dual mass flywheel!!!!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 2jag
I beleive the dual mass flywheel went bad. this caused the clutch to get hot and break the disc. which in turn led to the incomplete disengagement. which in turn caused the syncros to go in the trans!!.
2Jag - did you see my latest posts on my "synchro failure" thread? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...failure-61044/

Check the photo of the broken clutch disk. Did yours fail like that?

If so, I'm wondering if perhaps you didn't really need to replace the transmission, as the symptoms of failed synchros could have been caused by the broken clutch disc, like what happened on my car.

Also, did you see (or have your hands on) the old DMF? I'm curious about what actually failed.

Did the center bearing have axial play? (Think of a spinning top, as it's rotation slows down and it starts to wobble on it's axis.) Or did it have radial play? (Think of using a much too large socket on a bolt, where you can move the socket from side to side over the head of the bolt, in the direction of a "ray" from the center point of the bolt head.) Or was there excessive rotational play? ("Rotational" is my term. Maybe circumferential might be a more accurate term, but I'm trying to describe a tight DMF assembly, but with too much play in the springs so that one part can rotate excessively against the other.) Only axial or radial play - caused by a failure of the center bearing of the DMF - would cause the initial synchro symptoms and/or damage the clutch disc. Rotational play would not. (Mine only had excessive rotational play, but the center bearing seemed fine.)

If you didn't see the DMF to know how it actually failed, then your initial problem may have been closer to what I actually think happened to mine: the clutch disc broke first, and that caused the false synchro-failure symptoms and the possibly overheated DMF.

Let us know. Your observations may contribute to the collective knowledge about this issue, and could help out the next guy.

Glad you're back on the road.

Jim

Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 PM

My dual mass flywheel was indeed shot. it had not only excessive rotation play it also had play up and down. If you set it on the bench you could pull up on the the part the clutch rode on and it pulled up over an 1/8 in. so it would have in this case had excessive wobble. the side to side play or rotation play was not too bad but still out of spec. i still have the old trans maybe i could rebuild it or just look and see if there is truly an issue. let me know what you think? maybe ill try to make a video showing the play it had. the flywheel was the only thing not replaced. they replaced it now the car works great! so the clutch was dragging on the wobble flywheel not allowing it to disengage. that is my thoughs correct me if im wrong i have been before. any input is welcome!!!

Old 12-21-2011, 01:10 PM

my clutch disc had the exact same failure. its ridiculas how much the same!!!!!!!