X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 02:54 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Clutch problem?

I've just fitted a new LUK DMF with clutch and CSC. The old one had done 155k and although the friction plate probably 2/3 worn the release bearing was failing. The new assembly is noticeably lighter on the pedal which is a good thing but I'm finding that the bite point is quite close to the floor, a lot closer than before. Is that normal?

Last edited by MCW739; 05-18-2024 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-18-2024, 04:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,932 Likes on 3,228 Posts

MCW739, there should be an adjustment near the pedal as I recall that will adjust how much slack is in the cable. This will affect how far the two clutch plates move away from each other. It sounds like you have had the clutch adjusted a few times to bring the clutch down some so it was not catching right before it reached the high stop. You now need to undo those adjustments. Granted, looking at the JTIS, there does appear to be a knob near the clutch pedal, but i am not seeing any reference to adjusting it to change the position of the clutch pedal. The JTIS says that the clutch in the X-Type is a "self adjusting" clutch. So, that would imply to me that somewhere near the throw out bearing, there should have been a device there that affected how far the two plates were apart and right now, it has the plates essentially too close together. Not sure if that would be something that you can look at without having to drop the tranny again. Hopefully I have given you something useful.

Old 05-19-2024, 05:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
MCW739, there should be an adjustment near the pedal as I recall that will adjust how much slack is in the cable. This will affect how far the two clutch plates move away from each other. It sounds like you have had the clutch adjusted a few times to bring the clutch down some so it was not catching right before it reached the high stop. You now need to undo those adjustments. Granted, looking at the JTIS, there does appear to be a knob near the clutch pedal, but i am not seeing any reference to adjusting it to change the position of the clutch pedal. The JTIS says that the clutch in the X-Type is a "self adjusting" clutch. So, that would imply to me that somewhere near the throw out bearing, there should have been a device there that affected how far the two plates were apart and right now, it has the plates essentially too close together. Not sure if that would be something that you can look at without having to drop the tranny again. Hopefully I have given you something useful.
Thanks for your comments Thermo but the clutch on an X-type is all hydraulic which is how it's self adjusting.