X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Cei

After many years of owning cars and trying various CEI, even the Dinan set up for a BMW I had, which along with required downloads, larger TB and CEI and muffler cost over $2K. Also, putting a CEI on a Porsche and Audi A6. I found that there marginally effective at best. I never got a great gain in HP or Fuel mileage. The HP came from dyno testing before and after. I use K&N replacement filters in my cars and they work just as well as the CEI I've had in the past. If you want more HP a CEI is not going to give you what you think your going to get. This is just my experience, perhaps yours will work well, but none that I had did much if anything at all for performance. They did sound nice at full throttle however, but how often does one go full throttle in the USA, not much. But this is only my experience, if you like it and it makes you feel the car is running better then have fun.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

guys, see my post today on the installing mina performance package thread. it explains why i chose the k&n filters instead of putting a cold air intake on my xk.

rock on, bud

Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by budinsc
guys, see my post today on the installing mina performance package thread. it explains why i chose the k&n filters instead of putting a cold air intake on my xk.

rock on, bud
You rock on, too, bud.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by gragner66
Ill get my good camera out this weekend and take some good pics of the intake off the left side and look up the part#s.
what i used that you dont see is the flex tubing running from the spectre coupler (that is connected to 90* chrome piece) to another rubber coupler that is open beside the radiator. so its actually getting air from 3 places now the 2 stock intake holes and the one i made left of radiator
That couple part number for the left side of the air cleaner and anything below that would be appreciated, I haven't been able to find them. I have the setup waiting for me at Auto Zone to pick up identical to what Exexpat has. But I like the way yours is drawing cooler air into the filter as weel.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kool

Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

ok here is the part#s

8147-piece that is connected to end of air filter(i used CF from dash to cover this)

8708-this is 4in straight piece

8706- chrome collar to connect pieces need 2 of them

8701-mounting kit i used 2 of these the 2nd i used at the first collar near the filter end to keep everything tight and not move

8698-90 degree tube

8771-black rubber piece with spectre printed on it

8741-black flex tube not seen

Ok now for what you cant see or know till you start working on this mod

that piece at end of filter is a ugly beige color i wrapped with CF i used on dash. it doesnt fit firm to filter but if you use 2nd bracket kit will make it very frim. you should have the collars you need to connect everything with out buying them extra. you only need about 1/4 of the flex tube to run out the front. i used the rubber piece that comes with flex tube on end where it is open beside the radiator. you will have to cut this with an xacto knife once it is connected when done it should be a tad bit bigger than the stock intake ports. you will need a bracket to mount black box(look at purple zip tie in my pic) i used a piece of real CF. i used 2 black hex bolts to replace the stock silver bolts. handle the rubber peice with SPECTRE printed on it carefully it comes of easily. i also painted bracket used on collar at end of filter to keep from standing out

hope this helps ill try to get better pics this weekend kids been sick and didnt get any yet

The following users liked this post:
QuintonChester (07-25-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gragner66
ok here is the part#s

that piece at end of filter is a ugly beige color i wrapped with CF i used on dash.
Just wanted to say that you're the man. CF dash treatment, filter, front spoiler, exhaust and all. You've done a ton of work and it shows.

That is all.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 AM

I congratulate you for the work you did. You are a "car guy." I hope the CAI works for you.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Why would you want to do this? The stock X Type already picks up cold air ahead of the rad so you're not going to make it significantly better. You can put in a low resistance filter (k&n), but replumbing doesn't make any performance sense to me.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mostly all about looks.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

And the sound, an open element filter just sounds cool. Really throaty, as for air, the jaguar air box system is fairly restrictive with only the 2 snorkel things for fresh air.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Ah yes, noise...just drill a few holes in your mufflers.

More seriously, when I look at the pictures, how does this setup work? It looks like the air flows left to right through the center of the filter without ever going through the filter element.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tony_H
Why would you want to do this? The stock X Type already picks up cold air ahead of the rad so you're not going to make it significantly better. You can put in a low resistance filter (k&n), but replumbing doesn't make any performance sense to me.
We did it for extreme performance gains and track prep. That's all.

P.S. Drilling holes in the muffler is an awesome idea, no idea why I didn't think of that sooner.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok first thnx for the compliment exepat, 2nd I did this mostly for looks plus it does sound really good with the mina exhaust these cars aren't meant for hi performance sad to say

Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Smile Cai

Originally Posted by Tony_H
Your correct the X Type for a passenger car has a well thought out intake system. I don't see how a CAI could pick up any more cold air. I use a K&N myself and have for many, many years in my car and for street driving they do the job.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should try to set-up some type of shielding to prevent heat soak.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Cool Cai

Yes without a heat shield in back of the filter, you are kinda defeating the whole purpose of a COLD air intake. All the one I fooled with had heat shields of some sort.

As someone and I said the intake in these cars are about as good as your going to get as far as cool air intake. Years ago a friend of mine took Dynamat
and wrapped his air box and most of the intake pipe with another flexible heat repelling material, didn't do much. I still say a replacement K&N filter will produce the same results. Dyno the car and see how much HP you have gained, if it is more than 5HP I will be surprised. If you had a supercharger or turbo charger, then there might be some gain in HP and torque and noise.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

If you are purely into augmenting performance, don't modify your X-Type with anything cosmetically appealing.

If performance is what you are after, strip it of its interior, replace glass with lexan wherever possible, have carbon fiber replacements made for the hood, fenders and trunklid, take out the AC compressor and other non-essential engine components, move the battery to the trunk, get some forged 16 or 17" wheels with track tires. The end result will look ugly, but should get you around a track faster than stock.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by exexpat
If you are purely into augmenting performance, don't modify your X-Type with anything cosmetically appealing.

If performance is what you are after, strip it of its interior, replace glass with lexan wherever possible, have carbon fiber replacements made for the hood, fenders and trunklid, take out the AC compressor and other non-essential engine components, move the battery to the trunk, get some forged 16 or 17" wheels with track tires. The end result will look ugly, but should get you around a track faster than stock.
Also, didtch the expensive leather for some racing seats. All the power options and AC have to go., While we're at it just scrap the whole rear seat, the spare tire, the radio, get an aluminum rad.

Face it, we're driving a semi sport semi luxury car. I'm adding the CAI (actually HAI) simply because it looks cool. I would have gone with an M3 or an AMG if I was looking for dazzling performance.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice, what was the total cost of the refit?

Quick Reply: Cold Air intake