X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Depending on what you buy for the "snorkel" (hose that enters front of cone - I have none), then roughly $75 total. If you buy the snorkel items, add probably $15-20.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree with both post stripping weight will give you more speed, But the guys on the English car show did all that and go about 5mph after all is said and done. If you want a fast car buy and Corvette ZO6 with the ZO7 performance package, a Cadillac CTS-V or a Porsche Turbo, Benz Turbo, Audi A8. Not a X type. As someone wrote it is a nice semi sport luxury car and that is all. By the way what is an HAI vice a CAI. Hot air intake?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
I agree with both post stripping weight will give you more speed, But the guys on the English car show did all that and go about 5mph after all is said and done. If you want a fast car buy and Corvette ZO6 with the ZO7 performance package, a Cadillac CTS-V or a Porsche Turbo, Benz Turbo, Audi A8. Not a X type. As someone wrote it is a nice semi sport luxury car and that is all. By the way what is an HAI vice a CAI. Hot air intake?
we're being sarcastic since really there is nothing cold about the CAI. I prefer to call it HAI.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
we're being sarcastic since really there is nothing cold about the CAI. I prefer to call it HAI.
Pronounced like "HI!"

Old 06-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have an idea. Just for fun I can take temps with digital thermometer I have. is there a formula I can use if I take a motor bay reading then an outside reading and a reading going 55mph. LOL. Just to see how cold it really is

Old 06-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by gragner66
I have an idea. Just for fun I can take temps with digital thermometer I have. is there a formula I can use if I take a motor bay reading then an outside reading and a reading going 55mph. LOL. Just to see how cold it really is
OK, if we're going to get scientific consider this. When I look at the picture of the setup I can see at least 4 90's. A 90 bend in a 3" pipe is equivalent to nearly 8 feet of straight pipe (Fitting Chart). So there's 32 feet of inlet pipe resistance (more if he used a flex hose). Also, as I previously posted, I don't think this setup has the air going through the filter. Like may things on the Internet...looks better, works worse!

Old 07-23-2011, 02:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah man,its got too many bends and you have it right on some hot spots. Exexpat has the right idea with his.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...der-$75-36481/

He has only one bend that is immediately followed by the filter. The engine cover is NECESSARY to deflect heat from the engine,and also to create a pocket right in front of your ram air ports for CAI.

I understand its more for looks and sound,but without the engine cover you may be doin harm feeding the engine its own hot air. The flex part (with all the bends) doesn't do much as far as CAI,the cone is taking most the air (hot air). FYI-I'm doin this same mod ,for looks and sound. I'm doin it exexpat's way and got a engine cover off ebay and am planing on doin some custom fiberglass work to better sheild off heat. =)

Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

where on ebay did you find motor covers. id love to have them instead to fill up space

Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Smile CAI and HAI

Originally Posted by sidewalkman

Your correct unless you have a material that disperses heat or insulated wrap hot air from the engine with seep thru the metal which is a great absorber of heat. One thing, the intake length is short on these cars, so in theory we should get more cold air than a car with longer intake pipe. Also, the pipe as someone said should be as straight as possible. twice and curves slow up the air coming in. A few years ago, some of the shady E bay sellers were selling small fins to place inside the air tube, to excite the air, the theory being the more turbulence the more power. Absolutely untrue a urban legend, it makes not difference if the air is free flow or spinning. Someone came up with this idea probably from looking inside a supercharger with a screw or fan and thought the air is "spun" into the intake. It's not by the time it gets to the manifold it is flowing smooth.

News I have made a design for a supercharger for the V6 engine, on paper so far. I have a friend who owns a machine shop, we are going to talk to one of his engineers about a mockup. It will be a screw blade type. I am not and engineer or designer, but it will look like a almost stock intake manifold, a bit higher but should fit without modes to the hood. This might be a flash in the pan idea, after I speak with an engineer and see if my idea is doable or not. But then there is the problem with fuel delivery, remapping the engine computer and lots of other stuff. So what will be will be. This is how I spend my free time, thinking things like this up.

This machine shop builds parts for the Air Force and some of them are engine parts, that's all I know as it is secret stuff.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by gragner66
where on ebay did you find motor covers. id love to have them instead to fill up space
I had done a simple search for "Jaguar X-type engine cover" and it was the only one I fund so I got it for $60 with shipping. It was from some guy who was parting out a 02 I think. The ad said it fit all x-type 01-06 but sure enough IT DIDN'T FIT MY 03 3.0L. Well it fits but the mounting holes dont line up so I checked out exexpat's pictures of his and it looks like his mount holes dont alighn either cause the bolts dont appear to be there..lol It's ok for me tho cause Im fiber glassing mine and I'll make new mounts. Heck I might just use it for a mold and make a whole new one outta fiber glass and sell the original.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Exexpat, where did you get your engine cover? Is that a stock 2004 model? I know they discontinued the engine covers but not sure when. My 2005 does not have one and I was told that they were removed because of heat issues and that the engine compartment stays cooler without the cover, but I have always liked the look of them. What's your opinion?

Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarheel72
Exexpat, where did you get your engine cover? Is that a stock 2004 model? I know they discontinued the engine covers but not sure when. My 2005 does not have one and I was told that they were removed because of heat issues and that the engine compartment stays cooler without the cover, but I have always liked the look of them. What's your opinion?
The engine covers were on 2002/2003 models and discontinued from 2004 onwards. Mine is a 2004 and did not have one. I think they look better with them and because I live in the Pacific Northwest, I don't have heat issues (I don't think we've broken 80 degrees F this Summer yet - Alaska has had a warmer Summer). I also don't think it "blocks" heat from the filter nor do I think the snorkel with this design helps. The suction will take the path of least resistance and that will be from the outer filter area - not sucking through the straw.

Have I mentioned there is no real performance upside or downside for this modification? It is purely optical and an acoustic benefit - and even that could be subjective

Old 08-01-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by exexpat
The engine covers were on 2002/2003 models and discontinued from 2004 onwards. Mine is a 2004 and did not have one. I think they look better with them and because I live in the Pacific Northwest, I don't have heat issues (I don't think we've broken 80 degrees F this Summer yet - Alaska has had a warmer Summer). I also don't think it "blocks" heat from the filter nor do I think the snorkel with this design helps. The suction will take the path of least resistance and that will be from the outer filter area - not sucking through the straw.

Have I mentioned there is no real performance upside or downside for this modification? It is purely optical and an acoustic benefit - and even that could be subjective
yupp,you're right about it not blocking the heat cause it still gets pretty hot. The portion I made outta fiber glass is more heat resistant tho and thats what's surrounding my intake filter. The side of my filter thats not exposed is the front whre the ram air ports were,but now there's a fiber glass port bigger than the stock ones. I'll post my project soon,I'm almost done =)

Old 08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Smile Engine Cover

During July around here was one of the hottest months of the 21st Century. temps in the 90 to 105 degree range. I have 03 with the engine cover, which I kinda like, as engine today are ugly, not like the old days when you had distributors, aircleaner on top of the engine etc. As far as heat goes, my temp gauge never goes about 1/2. It gets there and stays day even when I was stuck in traffic for 1/2 hour. Engine are supposed to run hot in this new age of automotive engineering, the heat helps with pollution control. I think this may be one reason for the covers and the other, the car engine don't look the like a car engine anymore.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this "cold" air intake on my last jag and it was in fact hot air intake and also I had to replace the debit meter.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by websun
I had this "cold" air intake on my last jag and it was in fact hot air intake and also I had to replace the debit meter.
debit meter?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:05 AM

Several weeks ago I took out the K&N filter out of my car as I am trying to track down why I am getting such terrible mileage. I replaced it with a OEM filter. What I got was a big drop in performance. I am waiting for the weather to cool down to go back to the K&N. Also, the gas mileage didn't improve. As I mentioned in other post I have used K&N filters for decades and always liked them and never had a problem with them. But I never did the change over and now I have some proof they do improve performance. Not a controlled test, but good enough for me.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

debit meter?
Durchflussmesser. Flowmeter. I guess that's the MAF...?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Durchflussmesser. Flowmeter. I guess that's the MAF...?
Das macht Sinn. "Debit Meter" hoert sich an wie "Bankautomat" auf Englisch. Der Bankautomat fliesst auch mehr wenn man Jaguar faehrt.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Das macht Sinn. "Debit Meter" hoert sich an wie "Bankautomat" auf Englisch. Der Bankautomat fliesst auch mehr wenn man Jaguar faehrt.
Na klar, aber nicht im alle Sprache. Debitmeter gibts auch in Französisch, & verschiedener Ost-Europäisch sprache es meint Durchflussmesser.

Wegen den Bancomat witz...ja es ist so, aber für mich isch besser tag zu tag ein Jaguar Bisitzen, bekommt Teile aus England billiger und billger mit jeder Sturz den Pfund. Trotz höhe frachtkosten und Zollgebühren. Gleich für den US Dollar...

Zeigts Du dä Wechselkurs hüte?

Quick Reply: Cold Air intake