X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake for X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the same set up but I just recently put the stock back on because I couldn't for the life of me figure out the right combination of parts for the bracketry system. It always worked itself loose and the filter would end up resting on the coils in the top of the valve cover. Maybe it's common? I doubt it though.

If it's not a hassle, take a picture or try to explain your bracket set up and where you mounted it. I loved the way it sounded and I want to get it back on!

Old 08-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar intake to post #19 and although I know it gets a little hot after a bit of driving, the sound is amazing. I wouldn't be switching it back to stock unless I were selling the car to an older person. Love the sound, but not really sure if it's done anything for me performance-wise.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:45 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Too dark here at the moment, will get images tomorrow.

This has the air intake sound from 01:48 for ten seconds or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzL9...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004x-type
I have a few sets of the cold air intakes for jaguar x-types. I am selling mine for $120 plus shipping. I have a post in the forums under private adds. email me at austinsjaguarx@aim.com for pictures and more info. Its a new kit with a carbon filter. Its plastic to repel heat, but has a chrome look finish to make it look nice. It sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!
Do you still have these available? I would love to see pics. Definitely interested. Would be interested in seeing pics of the clamps as well... I can not figure out how to get the stock clamps back on, so if these screw in I would buy this just to have screw in ones as no one has any that fit properly that screw in...

Old 12-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,901 Likes on 3,205 Posts

devious, to get the factory clamps to mate back up, what you need to do is to use a set of needle nose pliers and pull the two side together. Then using your finger or other tool, push down on the tab that goes on top and ease up on the needlenose pliers. It will catch and remain clamped.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

This is how the Mina Gallery intake is mounted, though the supplied heatshield was too tall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ymG...ature=youtu.be

Old 09-25-2015, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Any intake located under the hood, with shiny metal bits is more sound, than performance. Using metal draws heat into the intake, and a cone air filter under the hood actually decreases performance. I used a K&N airfilter in the stock air box, and sent a plastic hose, that you can get at Menards, from the airbox through the passenger side frame rail, I used a lucite pipe to clamp the top and bottom hoses to, going through the hole in the frame, and under the front bumper. It substantially drops intake air temperature, and gives you a little bump in performance, when passing on the highway. In order to keep frame strength, I filled it with a gallon of industrial Epoxy. Including the K&N filter, the cost was less than a hundred dollars, and a night of work, with a holesaw, some 3 or 4 inch corrugated tubing made for gutters, 2 hose clamps, and a couple of screws to hold it to the bottom of the bumper, so folks on the outside don't even notice it. Coming out the passenger side of the airbox avoids all heat producers, like the radiator, leaving the engine valve cover as the only heat source, but the corrugated plastic tubing quickly dissipates the heat very well, without the engine making useless noise. I also have the two airvents to the front snorkels blocked off for the summer, and even when left on during the winter I have had no problems. There should be pictures and an article on here somewhere. If you are going for a cold air intake, this is the way to go. If you are looking for a chrome hot air intake, buy what's on Ebay. If you look at what racers use, they do not draw air from under the hood. I was an Audi Team mechanic for 3 years, and helped at Tom Walkenshaw Racing, when they were racing Jaguars at Lemans. The post is on Page 17 of my posts, and was put up at 1:35 am. There is one hater, but he obviously never looked inside an X Type engine compartment, saying you would be running over the radiator....Be cool.....Mike

Last edited by mrplow58; 09-25-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile CAI

Over the years and several cars I have fitted or fitted myself CAI's and have been disappointed with them. There was a BMW, Mercedes and a Audi none of which increased HP or performance and especially, the BMW were hard to maintain.
I tried a K&N filter on my 03 Xtype and had some running problems with the car, I don't think the car's computer liked the K&N. So now I just use a Fram or other quality filter and the car runs fine. IMHO these filter options are a waste of money.