Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compatibility issues with Fuel pump; xtype

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compatibility issues with Fuel pump; xtype

Hi everyone!
I hope you're all happy and healthy during these uncertain times. I'm new to the forums. During quarantine I'm working to revive a barn find 2002 Xtype 2.5L. Physically it's in decent shape with only minor dings and one small dent on the front bumper. The interior is in great shape aside from mold that I've since scrubbed off (though the smell lingers). The engine turns when I turn the key, but does not catch and start. The mileage is 63K. A friend diagnosed the problem as a bad fuel pump and sender. I removed both the pump and sender, which were indeed in terrible shape, and replaced them with parts from SNG Barratt. My issue is that the replacement fuel pump does not seem compatible. I reached out to SNG Barratt but haven't received an answer yet--they may be temporarily closed due to COVID19.

This is the old fuel pump with the round power socket thing

this is the new fuel pump that has a rectangular power socket. Is there an adapter that could link the rectangular socket to the original round connector in the car?

The old fuel pump as a green wire that connects the base to the lid

This fuel pump from SNG Barratt came without a green cable/wire that should connect to this green socket.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Alex

2002 Xtype 2.5L AWD

Old 05-03-2020, 06:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just replaced my fuel pump so I know what you mean from doing a bit of research on it. Unfortunately there are two different fuel pump plug designs, I think based on VIN number, with the earlier cars having the pigtail like your old pump and the new cars having the square plug like on your new pump. Perhaps it's possible to adapt them, I don't know, but your best bet might be to return your pump as both styles are still readily available. You can actually get aftermarket pumps very cheaply if you're on a budget fixing up this old car, the ebay or rockauto pumps seems to work fine and are well less than $100 shipped, and you can visually confirm the plug type in the provided photos.

The following users liked this post:
acschulties (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right thanks! I'll go ahead and do that.