X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continuous AC Compressor Death

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Continuous AC Compressor Death

I'm not entirely sure how to preface this without a "WTF" because it's so beyond my understanding, so...help?

2 years ago, I had the entire AC system replaced (or what I was told was the entire system to make sure no metal bitties got where they shouldn't, etc.), freon changed, whatever.

A few months after that, the compressor died again. And again. And again and again and again. Then the car wouldn't cool when I was stopped or going under 50ish MPH. Had the fans replaced (another $1400, sigh). Then the compressor died again.

Then it started blowing warm again two weeks ago. Figured maybe it needed a charge (I live in Phoenix, the heat is hell here). But no, there's high pressure on the low pressure side, which, to me, says compressor. So I take it back to the same shop, and ask them "WTF" which included a "WTF where are you buying these damn compressors from??" They warranted it out for me, it worked for a week, and then, today, it decided to blow hot. Again. Apparently, it's the compressor.

AGAIN.

FFS, I do NOT understand why my car seemingly has a hatred of AC compressors. This is at least #6 or #7 in TWO YEARS AND IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME. Given that my car is back in the shop and next week is supposed to be 120F or above, please help me understand why on Earth the compressor would have died again?

Is there something they've missed? That I've missed? I'm so confused, not to mention irate.

The following users liked this post:
Spikepaga (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Your problem sounds exactly what happened to my van with same symptoms. Diagnosis: "Orifice tube is partially obstructed". They replaced the orifice tube and has been working fine since.

Thia (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the reply, hlgeorge. I asked the mech. about it, and he said that was the first thing he checked. He also told me when I picked her up yesterday that he'd opened the old compressor, and saw nothing wrong, no metal, no "black sludge of death," no anything at all to give a clue as to what keeps killing compressors. So they put a different brand in it (4 seasons, I believe) and I'm just waiting for this one to die too. (It's ONLY 115+ all week, lol.)

Any other thoughts? (Please and thank you!!)

Spikepaga (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Thia
Thanks for the reply, hlgeorge. I asked the mech. about it, and he said that was the first thing he checked. He also told me when I picked her up yesterday that he'd opened the old compressor, and saw nothing wrong, no metal, no "black sludge of death," no anything at all to give a clue as to what keeps killing compressors. So they put a different brand in it (4 seasons, I believe) and I'm just waiting for this one to die too. (It's ONLY 115+ all week, lol.)

Any other thoughts? (Please and thank you!!)
So if the compressor is not locking up, then the fault must be electric, no? Maybe there is a short in the wiring to the compressor?

Old 06-20-2016, 01:11 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Mark..the electrical connection to the compressor is to engage the clutch drive on the compressor..if it wasn't engaging, the compressor simply would not function. This would not kill the compressor.

Thia,...Do the outside fans run at high speed most all the time the A/C is on?

Old 06-20-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
Mark..the electrical connection to the compressor is to engage the clutch drive on the compressor..if it wasn't engaging, the compressor simply would not function. This would not kill the compressor.

Thia,...Do the outside fans run at high speed most all the time the A/C is on?

I'll have to check, but my instinct is to say "yes." Also, those fans were replaced last year, in the middle of all this, because they thought it was what was causing the AC to blow warm when I was stopped. (Turns out that it didn't fix the issue, and when they replaced the compressor last week, it blew cold at stops too, right up until it didn't anymore.)

Old 06-20-2016, 01:32 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

It could be the temp sensor that turns on the fans are calling for them to come on too late and this puts extra strain on the compressor.

In your current climate they should be on high speed almost immediately after you turn the A/C on

Oh and also..Put your inside system on Recirculate always in this heat...I assume you do, but worth mentioning.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I dunno, sounds like you need a new mechanic. I understand that would be difficult due to warranties, etc., but 6 or 7 compressors! By God that's ridiculous. I sympathize with your plight as I was raised in Phoenix. (went to Paradise Valley H.S.) I married a girl from California in the early '70's. She said she never believed in Hell until she had to live in Phoenix. I recently had to replace the compressor in my X-type. My mechanic (in Lexington, Ky.), is very reputable and does a lot of ac work on MB, BMW, Jag, etc. He said never, ever use a re-manufactured unit. Plus he said they have had problems with Chinese made ones. The one he put in mine is Nissens (made in Denmark) He said Denso (made in Japan), are what is usually OE on Jags, but he's had problems with them too. Mine has worked fine for about a week. If it should quit, I will be major pissed, as it is a 2 1/2 hr. back to him. I feel for you -that "but it's a dry heat" crap is total BS when it's 120.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Rebuilt compressors are very often faulty "out of the box" or very short-lived. If you specify a new OEM unit, you'll be fine.