X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant POURING Out *Video*

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2023, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Coolant POURING Out *Video*

To begin I had to overflow plastic nipple break off and had the hose fall off a few times, it caused the car to overheat one day and I immediately stopped when i noticed. I fixed the plastic nipple missing by putting in a threaded brass plumber hose nipple.
HOWEVER since that happened I am no longer able to put coolant in, literally pours out instantly like a hose is no longer connected. I read about the water pump having a drain hole thing if there is an issue however this is with the car off. Doesn't even hold for a second.
I'm attaching a Google Photos link so y'all can view where its dripping from because at the moment I don't have time to jack it up just to look. https://photos.app.goo.gl/YK376sCn22wPoNiJ6 focus was weird soz however its the farther back puddle, basically dripping from transfer case.

Old 04-21-2023, 03:14 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

vegang, I would check the bottom of the overflow bottle. You may have a crack there. The other trick I would try is getting a black light and shining it in the engine bay. All coolants these day have a flourescent dye in them and when you shine a black light, it will cause it to glow. This may help you follow a coolant trail. You wil see the glowing line and then ou simply need to trace it back. The other place I would look is on the coolant lines going to the throttlebody. I seem to remember one makes a sharp bend coming off of the throttle body and if you press against that, it will rip right through the hose (especially if it is older) and cause a leak.

The following users liked this post:
Bill400 (04-22-2023)
Old 04-24-2023, 07:37 PM

THE WEIRDEST THING HAPPENED. Overflow bottle had a few however prior to posting this I already fixed the cracks as well as plastic overflow nipple. I went to go fix car yesterday jacked it up and went under while someone else poured coolant in and it just didnt leak. I have no idea why, the car sat prior and I hadn't touched it. I drove it today for an hour and didn't lose a single drop.

Please someone tell me they had this happen because it was POURING out coolant as you can see in the video. My only thought was the water pump drain hole was alllowing stuff to pour out because maybe the pump temporarily failed?? Not sure just can't figure out how it goes from not holding a drop to completely patched up.

Old 04-25-2023, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

If there is a crack in the bottom of the overflow tank, if you don't get the engine super hot, then it builds up no pressure and will not open the crack. You get teh engine a little warm and the crack opens up and manages to leave itself in a certain state, it can allow coolant to pour right out.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Could just be an airlock; jacking it up may have burped it like a baby.
I guess, never had one but seen it on telly.

Old 04-30-2023, 04:00 PM
Veteran member

vegang, I would say to get yourself a coolant system pressure tester (can be rented at a local auto parts store normally for just a refund). You can then fill the system, hit it with some pressure (do not go above 15 psig) and if you have a leak, that will find it. If you don't see a leak, then you had something loose/off and you fixed it not realizing what you had done.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Steve M
Could just be an airlock; jacking it up may have burped it like a baby.
I guess, never had one but seen it on telly.
Think something like this could have been the issue.

Originally Posted by Thermo
vegang, I would say to get yourself a coolant system pressure tester (can be rented at a local auto parts store normally for just a refund). You can then fill the system, hit it with some pressure (do not go above 15 psig) and if you have a leak, that will find it. If you don't see a leak, then you had something loose/off and you fixed it not realizing what you had done.
Definitely will grab one to see. My thoughts are the overflow hose (one that plastic nipple typically breaks off) since it had fallen off a bunch and then the car overheated something like the weep hole leaked coolant out or some odd fail safe, because the thing is the only thing I fixed was the overflow nipple missing and added a hose clamp, which is obviously not where the coolant was leaking from as it was under and below where I could even see anything pouring out. Plus it was when the car was off. It's honestly a very weird situation because it wasn't a minor leak, it was DUMPING the coolant out, now it holds pressure consistently, have driven like 12+ times since not a drop missing.