X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of problems and i hope there is solutions lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of problems and i hope there is solutions lol

so its been two years since i got my jaguar xtype dont get me wrong this car is nice but i dont know me if its me but i think this car is bad luck lol.

CHECK ENGINE:

My check engine light is one and sometimes it goes off and i get the "cruise control" error and when i give gas and its parked the car chokes at about 2600-3000 rpms and when i drive at 3000 rpm's the car kicks and doesnt let me go any more like it starts to choke again and the way it goes off is when i drive steadliy past 3000 rpms or sometimes by itself. Tomorrow im gonna go get the engine error codes and post them.

EDIT: I have 62k miles and its an 02 by chokes i meant misfire and i hear hissing coming from under the hood when i opened it a few times.

AUDIO:

Also the whole left side of my car the speakers went out and i know that they are 6.5" but i dont know which ones are for the car.

ELECTRICAL:

My cigarette lighter went out and i use it to charge my iphone lol so i dont know where the fuse is located to fix it or how to fix it.

The one problem that bugs me out is my sunroof. I turned my car off and when i came back i was trying to open my sunroof and the button that brings it back or the one that closes it wouldnt work and the other button controlled both functions. So i dont know that one when doesnt work the other button that works takes over for both but i really want to fix this car up bc i love it!

All my windows go up and down automatically when i press the button by my door except the rear passengers window that one i have to hold all the way/down to open/close it, but if anyone sits in the back it will automatically go down/up when pressed.

I would greatly appreciate everyone and anyones advice and help im only 19 years old and dont know much about jags you can say.

EDIT: And if anyone lives in New York City and knows a lot about this car i would love to meet up and talk about my options! Also I broke the jack lift when my tire popped so is there a way i can buy the set all over again?

Last edited by klodjan91; 01-19-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,912 Likes on 3,214 Posts

klodjan91, as for your audio issue, the speakers are actually 6.75" speakers, but 6.5" speakers will fit in the holes with no problems. As for what are for the audio system and which ones are for other systems, that is pretty simple. The speakers in the doors are for the audio system. Also, if you have the factory subwoofers, you will see a large box hanging from the underside of the rear shelf. Inside of that are two 8" subs.

as for your RPM issues (being limited to 3000 RPM), that sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Because of how loud it is, I would open up the hood of your car and look down directly in front of you. Where it says "Jaguar", that is the air filter box. if you look in the upper right corner (look over the edge and look for the hose), you will find a hose that runs straight back towards the windshield and taps into the intake manifold. The hose is about 12" long. If you remove this hose and look on the back side, you will more than likely find it split. You will need a new hose if this is the case. The new hose will need to be bought at the dealership. It is fairly cheap and has been updated, so, you will get a ribbed hose where the one you have more than likely is smooth.

If that hose is not the issue, look at the line that runs between the intake manifold and the brake booster. This will develop a crack at one of the elbows. Again, you will need to stop by the dealership to replace if this is cracked. There is one other hard line that is a vacuum hose that you need to look at. I just don't recall where that hose runs off the top of my head.

As for your cigarette lighter, look at fuse #68 under the dash. It will be a 15 amp fuse. Odds are that is blown. If not, it is possible you have damaged the cigarette lighter base. But, a voltage measurement would be needed to confirm. If you have the ability to do this, let me know and I will step you through it.

As for your sunroof and windows acting funny, what I would tell you to do is to reset the modules that control them. To do this, you will need to remove the negative battery terminal from the battery and leave it disconnected for 10 minutes or so. After the 10 minutes, reconnect the battery cable and then get into the car and turn the ignition switch to the "RUN" position (you can be running the engine or not). At this point, one window at a time, press and hold the button in the direction that you want the window to go and let it go its full distance and then continue to hold the button in that direction for another 3 seconds. At this point, release the switch. Now, take the window in the other direction and repeat. Repeat for all the windows. This should reprogram the controllers for the windows and make them all function as they should.

If you need more help, just hollar. A lot of these problems are easy to fix and are cheap to fix too.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:43 PM

Well to star off first I thank you for taking the time to help and I can go past 3000 rpm I just have to let off the gas an give it again I just can't accelerate quickly past 3000rpm if the "cruise not available" error is on. And what do you prefer for the aduio system speakers? For the fuse I can buy it at a regular auto zone or I have to get it at the dealership too? And whenever you have time can you let me know the exact names for the hoses because I think the *********** aka dealership will rip me off and recommend bs parts bc when I first got my car I paid $650 for my extra key to get cut & programmed. And as for the jack to lift the car would you k ow where I can get another one for the x type and I don't like the lug nuts on my car what are oter ones we could put on them? Thank you so much and i will check tomorrow for the hoses once the morning comes it's almost 1am here in NYC lol.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

klodjan91, first, when it comes to the hoses, you don't have to necessarily go through your local dealership. If you look on here, one of our sponsors (Nalley Jaguar) is a dealership based out of Georgia and they will send you the parts at a discounted price.

As for the name of the hose, ask for the PCV hose. They should know what you are talking about.

As for the jack, check out a local wrecking yard and see what they have. the Jag doesn't require a special jack, so, if you can pull one out of say a Ford Fusion, Lincoln LS, etc, it will more than meet what you need and should only cost you but a few bucks to pick up.

As for speakers, everyone has their interpretation of what sounds good and what doesn't. What I would tell you to do is to go to say Best Buy (or similar store) and pick say 6 different speaker brands and find a speaker for each one that is of similar quality. Then, you can listen to each one at a time using the same music and make a judgement from there. Some will be more bassy, some more trebly. Find the one that you like and then a second best. From there, you can select the level of speaker from those manufacturers and buy those. Then you can install the favorite ones up front and the second best in the rear. I do this so you maintain more of a consistent sound and also this helps to develop a surround sound setup.

When it comes to lugnuts, take a look at your local auto parts store. They should be able to special order you the lugnuts that you are after.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Thermo, you are far too kind and helpful. In most forums where there are common issues, and FAQs to resolve them the new guys get an earful of "use the search function" and "check the FAQs"

Not only could have you given attitude, (and you did not) nor did you even refer to the fact that all this is doccumented in the FAQs... you even went to the trouble of writing it out.

This guy had better recognise how many levels of goodness you have shown. I dont get the impression that he realises how far out of the way and beyond the call of duty you have gone. Even some of the issues are in the owners handbook, also available at the top of the forum.

I do want to sorta clarify a couple things.
1) undoing the battery, will require you to reset the window. but has nothing to do with the sunroof reset. Furthermore, to reset the windows you only need to hold the "up" direction on each windown. There is no need or function to doing the down direction.
2) the sunroof reset requires a press and hold of the switch... no need to touch the battery to reset it. It is in the FAQ, although the question of whether to press and hold the button on the first notch or second... is unclear. try both it does work eventually.
3)factory subs are only one, not two in my car, and there is just a 6 inch (not 8) one, plus a passive radiator. looks like a second speaker but it is not one.
4)the OP should be aware that the car goes into limp mode to PREVENT/reduce DAMAGE.. it is running lean, and the kicking and BUCKING are doing untold damage to the insides of the engine. It is totally foolish to continue driving the car in this state. Even the owners handbook says you should only continue in limp mode to get safely out of harm's way.
here is the pcv hose to see what you described

Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Ok so I went to auto zone today ad they gave me error code P0171 and the reader said system to lean which means to much air is coming in and I can't seem to find the passenger fuse compartment I looked in te glove box but I think that's for uk models :/

EDIT: And I appreciate everything thermo is doing for me even though he doesn't have to!

Last edited by klodjan91; 01-20-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

there are 2 fuse boxes, one under the motor hood, the other above the driver's left foot... (LHD car)

Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by sport30
there are 2 fuse boxes, one under the motor hood, the other above the driver's left foot... (LHD car)
Thx will check that out in the morning, I appreciate what your doing man

Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM

I can only spk to the speaker ?:
I bought my 02 Xtype 2yrs ago and had the same problem, all speakers on the right side were out (has the Alpine system w/ the tweeters).

I purchased a set of Sony component speakers from Crutchfield that the website recommended for the X, for somewhere around $100 bucks. What was nice is that they came with the plug in adapters for Jag so I didn't have to cut and splice any wires. Speaker sound completely matches the factory ones (not that they are terribly great) on the left, so it doesn't sound weird.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Sport30, thanks for the kind words. As for why I tend to write things out, I find it quicker to simply tell them what needs to be done than to try and search through the older posts and show them where it is (I don't like to simply say, "It is over there, go look for it"). Besides, as time goes on, we are finding quicker and easier fixes which don't always get updated in the FAQs. It also helps that I type fairly quickly, so, most of my posts take but only a minute or two to get typed up and then I am moving on to something else.

The following users liked this post:
klodjan91 (01-21-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 10:48 AM

ok so when i opened my hood while the car was on i heard hissing coming from this side of the car(shown in the picture) and as i read dennis blacks thread on page six this one of the vacuum leaks that occurs
Name:  DSC00011-2.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  70.9 KB

*PHOTO BELONGS TO DENISS BLACK*

Old 01-21-2011, 04:10 PM

My question is what parts would I need to buy to fix this?

Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran member

Klodjan91, those black pieces that have the arrows pointing to them are called intake manifold tuning (IMT) valves. There is an o-ring on the inside of them. If you go to your dealership, ask for 2 IMT o-rings. They are like $5 each. The top one is easy to do. Remove the two bolts, slide the valve out, pull off the old o-ring, slide on the new, tighten down. As for the bottom one, there is a clearance issue. So, you will need to undo the two bolts, slide the valve part way out, then grab on to the o-ring, stretch it a little bit to pull it off over the end. Then you can take the new one, stretch it a little bit to slide it back over, set the o-ring down into the groove and tighten down. Should take you but a few minutes to do this. You will need an 8mm socket to get the bolts off as I recall.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Old 07-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you disconnect your battery you'll have to put in the security code in the radio, so be sure you didn't lose it :P

Old 09-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thermo

as for your RPM issues (being limited to 3000 RPM), that sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Because of how loud it is, I would open up the hood of your car and look down directly in front of you. Where it says "Jaguar", that is the air filter box. if you look in the upper right corner (look over the edge and look for the hose), you will find a hose that runs straight back towards the windshield and taps into the intake manifold. The hose is about 12" long. If you remove this hose and look on the back side, you will more than likely find it split. You will need a new hose if this is the case. The new hose will need to be bought at the dealership. It is fairly cheap and has been updated, so, you will get a ribbed hose where the one you have more than likely is smooth.

If that hose is not the issue, look at the line that runs between the intake manifold and the brake booster. This will develop a crack at one of the elbows. Again, you will need to stop by the dealership to replace if this is cracked. There is one other hard line that is a vacuum hose that you need to look at. I just don't recall where that hose runs off the top of my head.

If you need more help, just hollar. A lot of these problems are easy to fix and are cheap to fix too.
Ok, I'll just ask here because I don't want to make a new thread. Is it normal for there to be small amounts of oil inside the 12" hose? Yesterday my car felt like it wanted to stall while sitting at a red light, so I was checking the hose for any leaks. I still have the smooth one, but it seems in good condition and makes no hissing noise...just that I saw small amounts of what appears to be engine oil inside it where it connects to the intake manifold.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Sure, a little oil is no surprise on an engine with a few miles on it.

PCV stands for Postive Crankcase Ventilation. Basically any blowby past the rings or valve seats goes into the crankcase & under the rocker covers.

Normal, in my experience.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by klodjan91

My cigarette lighter went out and i use it to charge my iphone lol so i dont know where the fuse is located to fix it or how to fix it.
If the fuses aren't blown remove the coin tray and make sure the power wire didn't come off the back of the lighter assembly. The plug connection for it isn't real tight.