X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Alarm

Hi guys ... i have a 2.1V6SE x-type. Over the last few days, the alarm would go off for no apparent reasons, but they usually happen only within around 10 mins from the time i lock the doors. The solution was to rush to the car, unlock, and then double-lock the car again.

Does anyone have this experience? And is there any ways to resolve this, or to shut off the alarm system completely? My car is just out of warranty, and i'm not really prepared to bring back to the dealer and them charge me an arm and leg to resolve this problem ..

Old 01-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Crazy Alarm

although i don't have a fix for your issue I have noticed that sometimes if my car is locked and I pop the trunk from the key fob the alarm goes off when I open the trunk. (that is a real long sentence)

Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

basically something is triggering it.. easy things to check are under the hood.. there is a spring switch for the alarm.. the hood has a pad on it size of a quater which presses the the switch close when the hood is closed.. sometimes the pad falls off.. and the spring cant close a 100% . check that the trunk latch is closing good and tight and all the doors are closing and latching.. if you take it to the dealer.. ids.. can read what is actually triggering it.. under last known alarm activations..

Old 01-17-2009, 10:27 AM

check the barrel flap as well

Old 01-17-2009, 10:27 AM

thanks .. but that doesn't seem to be the reason ... it's only a recent occurrence that the alarm goes off frequently. what's odd is that it happens only within the first few minutes of locking the car, and (thankfully) not one of those situations where it happens in the middle of the night ...

i really hope i can learn how to shut off the alarm for good ...

Old 01-17-2009, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: jag_genius

basically something is triggering it.. easy things to check are under the hood.. there is a spring switch for the alarm.. the hood has a pad on it size of a quater which presses the the switch close when the hood is closed.. sometimes the pad falls off.. and the spring cant close a 100% . check that the trunk latch is closing good and tight and all the doors are closing and latching.. if you take it to the dealer.. ids.. can read what is actually triggering it.. under last known alarm activations..
hi ... thanks for the suggestion! where is this spring switch again? left or right side of the hood? but the alarm doesn't trigger every single time the door is locked, but only occassionally (usually more so at night) and within minutes of locking the car .... are these still likely causes? also what is that barrel flap thing?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 AM

drivers side under hood .. in front of the reservoir .. barrel is where you stick the key to start it..

Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 AM

you should see a door there .. where you stick the key.. the door shud move when you stick the key in slightly if not wd40 can losen it up

Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 AM

thank you ... will try your recommendations. but is there no way to shut off the alarm for good?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:46 AM

even if there was.. it would be done through the dealer.. thru ids

Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: mvdennis

ORIGINAL: jag_genius

hi ... thanks for the suggestion! where is this spring switch again? left or right side of the hood? but the alarm doesn't trigger every single time the door is locked, but only occassionally (usually more so at night) and within minutes of locking the car .... are these still likely causes? also what is that barrel flap thing?

I think i found the little rubber 'pad' ... didn't look like it wasnot attached properly, but i just adjusted it slightly and i haven't got the alarm activation since. i suppose it's still too early to tell, but pray hope this is okay from now onwards!

Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 AM

true enough ... as always when you think you solved the problem, it came back. oddly, i realised that the alarm only goes off when i'm parked at the carpark at my house! i've been parking there for 8 months now, and it's only these 4 days where the alarm would go off, and i'm absolutely sure there is nothing that activated it somewhat ... because whenever the alarm goes off, i'll just go 'unlock' and lock again ... and i never even touch the vehicle nor open its doors ...

i really dread bringing it back to dealer but looks like i got no choice now ....

Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 AM

i've made an appointment with the dealer because i really cannot fathom what's causing the alarm to keep sounding

over the phone, he can't decipher what's wrong with the car too ... but came up with a lot of various solutions such as checking the whole wiring system and all that which i think he just want to rip me off! Can someone please advise if it's firmed that IDS could disable the alarm system? If so, i'll ask the dealer to just disable the alarm if they can't decide what's wrong with the car ... please help!!!