X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control not available.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control not available.

Hello all, I'm a possible new jag owner. Yay! Im thinking about purchasing a 2003 x type 2.5 with 85000k miles from a family member. It has a coolant leak. I just purchased a new resivior to fix the problem. A new light has been coming on intermittently saying cruise control not available. My cruise control still works when this light comes on. Some times it causes the car to "buck" for a couple seconds. Could the leak be causing this problem? The engine light is on. I had a diagnostic ran. The codes p0174, p 0455 and p0171 came up. Any advice or help would be wonderful. Thanks so much!

Old 10-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Coolant leak?

I recently was looking at a used car and the owner said he thought there was a radiator leak, no big deal. After the car was warmed up, I noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust. Blown head gasket!
So be careful and check that out. If you see that white smoke, immediately flee the premises!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Check for vacuum leaks. The items shown in this thread Trouble code P0171 & P0174 are common sources for leaks.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control not available

I have a 2006 S-type that began to give an intermittent "Cruise Control Not Available" message after I accidentally totally discharged the battery by leaving the headlights on overnight. After recharging the battery I began to get the error message. I recharged the battery several times although it seemed to work fine and still had the message on and off. I then checked the date stamped on the negative terminal of the battery and it was 05 which had to be the original battery - almost 9 years old! I had the battery replaced with a group 49 Bosch at Pep Boys and the error message went away. I feel lucky!!

Old 10-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

kelceyjo, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information and great people here. You will find that we pride ourselves in being a very friendly group and will give you as good of information as can be found anywhere. But, we do ask a simple thing from you. Please stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself. We like keeping things very friendly and as part of this, we like to get to know one another. this will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your problems. I see a few issues. The easy one to fix is the P0171 and P0174 codes. Those are saying that you have a vacuum leak. Odds are, you will find that the leak is coming from the PCV hose (remove the plastic cover on the engine, you should see a box right in front of you that says "JAGUAR" on it, just beyond the upper right corner of that box, you will find 2 large hoses, there is one attached to the valve cover and runs back to the intake, this is the hose of interest). If you look on the underside of this hose, you will most likely find a split in the hose (this will be especially true if the hose is smooth, not ribbed like the re-designed hose is) in the middle where the support for the hose touches.

The next spots are either the brake booster hose (comes off the top of the intake and runs over to in front of the driver (US model). If you look in the middle of this hose, you will see a plastic piece in the center. take a close look at this and if the plastic is crumbly (ie, if you rub it, dust comes off of it) or you spot a crack, this piece will need to be replaced.

The last spot where you are most likely to find an issue is on the IMT valves. If you walk over to the front passenger tire and look into the engine bay, pointed at you are 2 black disks about 4" in diameter on the side of the intake manifold. These are the IMT valves. If you remove the 2 screws holding the IMT valve in place, you will find that there is an o-ring there. This o-ring is then the source of your vacuum leak. The lower one can be removed without pulling the manifold off. You simply need to remove the 2 screws, back the valve out slightly, stretch the old o-ring over the outside flange and then place the new one on like you pull the old one off. Just try to minimize how far you stretch the new o-ring.

If for some reason this does not take care of your vacuum problem, let us know and we can take things from there.

Odds are, this will also take care of your cruise not available problem too.

As for the P0455 code, this is normally caused by not putting the gas cap back on tightly after filling with gas. I would say to first clear all of your codes and then see if that one comes back. if it does, make sure you are installing the gas cap like the directions on the cap state. If that does not solve your problem, then you have either a problem with a leaking fuel system hose or there is a solenoid that is sticking and you need to clean it. If you need more info, let me know. I fought this problem with my car for a long time and finally figured out what the problem was.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem checked all hose ,fitted new battery and changed the throttle body but still same.. only happens occasionly. what solinoids are you refering to

Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

rbsjag, the solenoid is the vacuum solenoid that the car uses to test to see if your gas tank and associated hosing is still intact. If you open the hood/bonnet of your car and find the intake, you will need to be on the right side of it (side opposite the IMT valves) and if you look down behind the intake, you will see 2 black cylinders back there with a few hoses attached to them and a 2 wire plug. That is the solenoid assembly I am talking about. If you follow the lines, one line goes to the intake manifold, the other goes back to the top of the gas tank. If you are like me and like to get as much fuel into the gas tank as possible, what happens is a little fuel makes it all the way up to this solenoid and will dry out and gum up the solenoid. This will cause the solenoid to not draw the proper vacuum in the gas tank during testing which will then cause it to fail, giving you the code. A little bit of carb cleaner and all is good.