X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control, stabilization system and brake light problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control, stabilization system and brake light problem.

Got a 2004 2.5 4x4 automatic X-Type a little more than 1 year ago. The car has been running fine until a couple of days ago, when a series of faults started to appear.

First it told me that there was an error in the stabilization system (translated from Swedish, so I am a bit unsure what the correct text in english would be). This error seems to disappear when I stop the car for a while, but comes back after driving a few minutes.

Then I noticed that the cruise control dont work anymore, and today a car blinked at me from behind. It turns out the breake lights are on all the time.

So basically this is the situation:
* Stabilization system gives an error after a few minutes of driving.
* Cruise control dont work, even before the stabilization error shows up in the display.
* Brake lights is always on, even before the stabilization error shows up in the display.
* When I stop the car, at almost 0 km/h, it seems like the ABS is kicking in on the right front wheel.

I suspect a faulty ABS sensor or something with the ABS system. That would explain most of the problems, but why is the brake lights on all the time?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

cazber, from the sounds of things, you have a failed brake switch. That would could the cruise control system to not engage (causing the error) and then because the stabilization system is seeing the brakes on on the time, it thinks the car has a problem and therefore causes the fault light to come on.

Now, if you climb into the driver's footwell area, you will see the brake pedal. Follow the metal shaft up and you should run into the brake switch. Check to make sure that it is properly seated and not twisted up so it is always depressed.

If the lights are still on, then access the engine bay fuse box and pull fuse F90 (7.5 amp fuse). With the car in the RUN (II) position, are the brake lights still on? If yes, then you have a wiring problem (most likely at the rear of the car in the plug going to the tail lights). If the lights went out, most likely you have a failed brake switch and it is stuck on. Replace the brake switch and then see what you have.

if you need more help, let me know. If you still have the other faults, then we can deal with at that point in time.

The following users liked this post:
cazber (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 PM

Thanks a lot!
Your answer sounds like it could be spot on (I hope).
Will try to find out more tomorrow (it's 00:34 in Norway now).

Old 08-02-2013, 08:30 AM

The brake switch had fallen out of its bracket. Just put it back in, and averyting seems to work again.
Thanks again Thermo!

Old 08-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

cazber, not a problem. Sometimes it is the easy stuff that can raise such cane with the vehicles. Keep the kitty happy. It will keep you happy.

The following users liked this post:
cazber (08-03-2013)