X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Seal DISINTEGRATED

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 12:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Cylinder Seal DISINTEGRATED

Greetings all. Was changing my bank 1 sens 2 oxy sensor, spark plugs, and whatever those top gaskets are called when I encountered a seemingly large problem when removing the coil packs. One of the cylinders "seal"/lip to get snug with the coil pack was complete dust.

I'm worried it's because of a larger issue or just having the same stock spark plugs in the car since conception at 155k miles lol.
Questions are, WHY did it happen? WHAT will happen if I do nothing and put the coil packs back on and act like nothing happened? IF i need to fix it and how would I got about doing so since it seems to be straight metal of some sort. Thanks everyone.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/i4r7DzTGPRq2kr5PA this is a google photos album

Old 06-22-2022, 08:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,928 Likes on 3,224 Posts

Just a side note, hopefully you took the advice of the members hear and stuck with a basic double platinum plug (can't quite tell based on your pic). I would rub the rubber attached to the coil for any signs of degradation (ie, if you rub it and the rubber comes off, it is bad). You can buy new coil boots. That may give you the ring that is destroyed that you are looking for. One trick that I will tell you, when talking with your local auto parts store, tell them you have a Lincoln LS 3.0L engine. Do not mention you are working on a Jaguar. If you tell them you have a Jaguar, you will find very few parts that they will carry. Yet, they will have just about everything for the Lincoln LS. MOST!!!!! parts are the same (things like the water pump are not). For what you are dealing with, they are the same.

Do you need that ring? WEll, not really. It is there to be a dust shield. If you do not put a new one in, what you may discover is if you spray say the top of the engine with a garden hose, you will find that the engine is going to run like hell for a bit (the spark will be shunted away from the plug and through the water in the plug well). You may need to buy a complete valve cover gasket kit to get the rings that you need. These kits are not that expensive.

The following users liked this post:
vegang (06-23-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts

As Thermo said, the "disintegrated" ring is really there as a guide for the seals. New seals should be fine and you can buy them as an item

Forum sponsor, offers forum members a discount if mentioned =

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#...0%20seal%20%60

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 06-22-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Just a side note, hopefully you took the advice of the members hear and stuck with a basic double platinum plug (can't quite tell based on your pic). I would rub the rubber attached to the coil for any signs of degradation (ie, if you rub it and the rubber comes off, it is bad). You can buy new coil boots. That may give you the ring that is destroyed that you are looking for. One trick that I will tell you, when talking with your local auto parts store, tell them you have a Lincoln LS 3.0L engine. Do not mention you are working on a Jaguar. If you tell them you have a Jaguar, you will find very few parts that they will carry. Yet, they will have just about everything for the Lincoln LS. MOST!!!!! parts are the same (things like the water pump are not). For what you are dealing with, they are the same.
Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
As Thermo said, the "disintegrated" ring is really there as a guide for the seals. New seals should be fine and you can buy them as an item
Forum sponsor, offers forum members a discount if mentioned =

https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#...0%20seal%20%60
Thank you both for the tips and where to find them, gonna wing it for now as the coil packs and their boots seem to be in decent shape and keeping the hose away from it as well. However @Thermo I haven't seen where members recommended the double platinum plug and have went with iridiums, what goes wrong and what have people found?

Old 06-25-2022, 05:02 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Having experienced misfires due to water ingress after washing the engine bay, I tried to find replacement cam covers but no luck. So I put a bead of silicone RTV around the top where the ring had split and disintegrated to stop water entering and it will easily peel off when I next remove the coil.

Old 06-26-2022, 09:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,928 Likes on 3,224 Posts

vegang, a basic iridium plug, you should be fine. Where most people have problems is going with the fancy "multi-spark" spark plugs (those with a V style electrode, Bosch +4's, etc). Our cars need a single high power spark, not multiple smaller ones for complete combustion. Those that have tried the multi-spark spark plugs complained of low power and in general, poor performance along with an assortment of error codes.