X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged spark plug wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 04:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged spark plug wiring

Hello everyone, while changing the upstream O2 sensor from bank 2, I damaged one of the wires of the spark plugs, and the car does not turn in, crankshaft does work but no ignition, so almost surely it's the spark plug not working.

As seen it's a wire that it's slightly broken, any idea how can I test this wire or fix it?

Old 05-11-2024, 08:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,915 Likes on 3,217 Posts

pduce, based on looking at the picture, a fix is easy. It would appear that the copper is still intact, but it will not last forever that way. You are going to need 3 things: 1) an uninsulated 22-16 butt splice, 2) 4-6 inches of WCSF-070 raychem (this is vital to a long term repair, so, do not cheap out, yes, it is expensive, but trust me, it is worth every cent), and some electrical tape. What you are going to do is peel back the black tape to expose about 4-6 inches of wiring to each side of the cut. You can undo more, it will just make for a bit more work later, but may make doing the job easier. Now, cut the red wire with a pair of cutters and then strip back about 3/8" of insulation on each side. Using the butt splice, crimp one end of the wire. Using as much raychem as you can fit in there, slide it down over the butt splice and wiring. Now take the other end of the wire and insert it into the butt splice and crimp it down. Now, slide the raychem over the butt splice so the butt splice is centered under the raychem. Using a heat gun or other suitable heat source, heat up the raychem to cause it to shrink. You want to apply enough heat that you see a little bit of orange goo get squeeze out on each end of the raychem where it touches the wire. At this point, you can use the electrical tape to seal things back up to look factory again.

I use the raychem at my work and we use it to make wiring survive a nuclear reactor meltdown, literally. If it can survive that, underhood conditions are going to be nothing for this stuff. Normal heatshrink does not have that orange goo (it is a glue) and if you used just normal heat shrink, water will wick between the heat shrink and wiring and cause that joint to corrode and it would fail in a matter of a few years. Raychem makes that part of the wiring essentially bulletproof.

RAYCHEM WCSF 050-40N HEAT SHRINK TUBING 40" LONG FREE US SHIPPING!! | eBay - here is a link for some WCSF-050 heatshrink which should work in your case. You should be able to find this also at a higher end electrical store. This may be a cheaper method of getting it.