Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Language Oddity

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 654 Posts
Default Dash Language Oddity

So here is an oddity at least imo. My dash language is set to UK English (as is voice nav), in checking m.p.g. by actual math (gal used vs mileage) I always get better mileage in actual than shown on the message center. I was curious if changing the language from UK to USA would affect the results shown. i.e., imperial gallons vs US gallons. Well, changed the languages and the displayed m.p.g., remains the same. The nomenclature changes from "boot" = "trunk", "bonnet" = "hood", "range" = "dist. to empty", but no change in m.p.g. or available distance to empty.
*shrugs*

Old 08-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Dell, I want to say that if you look at your radio, there is a button in the upper left corner of the radio. Get the radio up and running and then press and hold the button in the upper left corner. Hold it for like 15 seconds. You should then see the radio change to a new screen. From there, you can change a lot of other things and that should fix your problem. Just don't try to update the software. You do that without the proper setup, you will destroy your radio.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Dash

Sorry to butt in but also why the heck is the time or mileage on my dash so small yet "door open" for instance is huge?

Old 08-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

US cars can only be set to US gallons not imperial gallons.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 654 Posts

I suppose I was indistinct in my explanation. I have chosen UK English (my preference) on my Nav display as well as my dash message center (they are 2 separate settings, Nav in menu on touch screen, and dash message through the ML/KM button with the select dash language select button being the A/B. I just thought perhaps having the dash message in UK English might be skewing the m.p.g. numbers the car gives me (thinking it was convering m.p.g. using Imperial Gallons). As stated, I get better gas mileage checking mileage and fuel used than the "average m.p.g." shown by the dash message center. It's not a biggie, just find it odd if you select DASH MESSAGE LANGUAGE, does it not seem logical the m.p.g. conversion would be in the local conversion. In other words 20 m.p.g. US is better mileage than 20 m.p.g. British because US gallon is smaller. The U.S. liquid gallon is defined as 231 cubic inches and equates to approximately 3.785 litres. One imperial gallon is equivalent to approximately 1.2 U.S. liquid gallons.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

The UK settings can also return litres per 100 km, depending on what the dealer software is told. In fact, with the software, you can mix and match the displays. With the buttons in the car, you are limited to the EEPROM selections.

US 1 mpg = UK 1.2 mpg