Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY guide: Re-Design of front facia / front-bumper-"facelift"

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 311 Posts
Default DIY guide: Re-Design of front facia / front-bumper-"facelift"

I always loved that movie... - and the front facia of the Ferrari 250 GT California (Ferris).
Mustang, Maserati and Ferrari got kind of similar facia ideas:
Mustang and Ferrari have the horse and Maserati the Neptune trident in front of the mesh:

I love the work of Geoff Lawson and Ian Callum (before his Tata time), but they kind of overlooked that small but (in my opinion) very import detail of having a JAGUAR in front to the mesh at Jaguars: Not the badge with the Jag head, which neither looks overly exciting nor beautiful. I am talking about the the leaping Jaguar!
Not even the E-Type had a leaper in front of the mesh... Hence, I fixed this shortcoming for the X-Type (as I fixed it already a few month ago for the S-Type), and now my X-Type looks like that:

So this is how I did it:

The front bumper looked might poor, when I bought the 2.5L X-Type 6 month ago - it definitely needed new paint (just like the right frt. fender, the roof, the trunk-lid, the left sill and the left mirror). I started painting the bumper properly with primer.

HGZ Jaguar metallic racing green & clear coat next.

I removed a bit of plastic above the oval aperture with a cutting disc and I brought cable zip tie mounts, attached them with liquid nails and later another layer of black roof and gutter silicone, which I should have used to start with (hindsight).

What is red here is the protective film of the double sided 3M clear sticky tape. Not really to "hold" the mesh in position but to prevent potential NVH issues (Noise Vibration Harshness) - i.e. to prevent that there could be potential shattering noises of the mesh hitting the bumper when driving...

I cut off small bits of the stainless steel mesh, inserted them into the cable ties and...

...made sure that the wire bits all poke nicely thru the mesh, which I had cut to size (and bent over laboriously all the end of the prepared mesh), and then I twisted the wire bits to hold the mesh.

That's the OE plastic insert. Normally it is not made possible to remove that part - but I found a way to remove those 4 rivets with a heat gun without causing much damage, which did not matter anyway, as it was fixed to the upper lip protrusion (above the oval), which I had to cut off anyway.

But I still need the lower section, which has its home under the oval. A cutting disc is your friend.

Obviously I had to come up with a new way of fixing this cut off section to the rear of the front bumper. I applied plenty of clear roof and gutter silicone and I put the 3 bolts in place, which come from under the bumper (when fixed to the car later) to make make sure, that the insert will sit in the correct position.

And then in with the upper insert as well. I fixed the leaping Jaguar with bolts from the back and with clear roof and gutter silicone (from the back - i.e. not visible).

And as mentioned above already: I did the same kind of redesign already on my S-type a few month ago. Note that the X-Type does not yet have its bonnet leaper and its headlight chrome bezels in the picture above as seen on the first picture on the top (later picture). And both Jags have halo (round) DTRL LEDs around the fog lights..

And for reference and additional information:
This is the link to my post about how to redesign the front facia of the S-Type:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...s-type-264801/

The following 2 users liked this post by Peter_of_Australia:
joycesjag (10-27-2023), Rober2 (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 02:42 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Cool, Peter

Old 11-05-2023, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 761 Likes on 678 Posts

I just bought a Mina grill, lol

Old 11-14-2023, 06:11 PM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Peter, you are a Master!

Should you ever want to vacation in Ohio I have a LOT of projects we could work on.

Excellent work.

Old 11-15-2023, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 311 Posts

Thanks Larry,

I told my wife about your mail. She asked: How much does he pay? I replied: Probably food and accommodation
And she: Well if he'd pay well, I'd pack your bags!

So far I made the full circle all around Big Island Hawaii with my pushbike (bicycle), and half a circle and back on Kauai (because there is no road around the island of Kauai, where they filmed Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones). Plus, I went to PA once via JFK. I even flew a Cessna myself in PA, but with instructor, as I hadn't yet finished my PPL in GB. But don't worry - that was long before 2001 (= That wasn't me!!). And that was me in the States so far. And I do not know, if my father's American friend is still alive, He lived in Michigan, on Lake Michigan and he had owned a paper-factory back then. Rolf is his first name.

But seriously, I am happy here in Australia, I don't even have any desire to visit Germany.

Old 11-15-2023, 08:19 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Peter, I am very happy to hear that your wife did not offer to pay ME to have you visit.