Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving the new XE

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 683 Likes on 554 Posts
Default Driving the new XE

Hi guys. I normally post over on the XK8/XKR forum, but wanted to share my experiences with the new XE. I was chosen to test this sedan out for a few days by Jaguar NA as a promotional event.

The XE will be released in 2016 as a 2017 model and will be competing with the BMW 3-series, Audi A4 and the others in that class. I can tell you after spending the day with the R-Sport model, the Germans had better be very afraid. This is a great car!

4-doors, 340HP V6 turbo, 8-speed auto with paddle shift and plenty of torque. Handling is crisp and acceleration is very good. Traffic was heavy today, so didn't get a chance to really open it up, but enough to know it is very quick.

Comfortable inside with pebbled leather and alcantara inserts. Stitched leather on the dash and door panels. Very supportive seats.

If you are interested, there are more details on the XK8/R forum and I will continue to post as I put more miles on thru the weekend. Jag has asked me to share the experience in return for the loan, so ask away if you have any questions.

Attached Thumbnails Driving the new XE-img_0840-2.jpg   Driving the new XE-img_0841-2.jpg   Driving the new XE-img_0842-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
sklimii (12-19-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 586 Likes on 392 Posts

Such a boring looking car. Nice features, but it hardly looks like a jaguar to me. Sorta of a blend of BMW, and Japanese sedans. Perhaps I am just getting old and prefer the classic looks. I've warmed up to the F-type, but the body style of the rest of Jaguar's offerings don't appeal to me these days.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:17 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My local Jag/Saab dealer who I am on good terms with seeing as I have 2 Saabs and an X type even though I do all of my own repairs! offered me a drive of the new XE, it was the diesel Sport.
It had a lot of poke low down but it definitely levelled off above 3000rpm in typical diesel fashion, whereas my V6 petrol continues to pull all the way to the red line.
I loved all the toys and the Land Rover based satnav and entertainment system and the pop up gear selector.
The car was black with matching interior and the swoopy dashboard which flows into the door cards made it feel a bit narrow as it feels like the dash begins just behind your shoulder and sweeps around to the other side of the car, the wife thought it a bit claustrophobic in black, maybe a traditional cream and walnut scheme would open it up, my X type definitely felt more spacious in the cabin.
They have pushed the wheelbase out as far as possible and this shows in the boot as the rear wheel arches use up each corner so the boot is very deep but pretty narrow, you couldn't place two cases side by side as I can in the X type, and there isn't those two handy corner pockets to stuff squashy bags into.
But all in all it drove very well, felt very tight and positive, but more like a Ford Mondeo than a Jag, and I feel the instantly recognisable Jaguar face has disappeared on these later models and you have to look twice to be sure its a Jag as over here in Europe there are a lot of similar looking cars.

Old 12-19-2015, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tijoe
Such a boring looking car. Nice features, but it hardly looks like a jaguar to me. Sorta of a blend of BMW, and Japanese sedans. Perhaps I am just getting old and prefer the classic looks. I've warmed up to the F-type, but the body style of the rest of Jaguar's offerings don't appeal to me these days.
Hear what you are saying. I have owned an E-Type and series 3 XJ's. I currently have an '01 XK8, but I think this styling will grow on you too.

The styling from the side certainly has the BMW-Audi-MB-most Japanese sedans feel to it. However, they have incorporated the newer Jag face very well. Really looks Jaguar-like at dusk with the "J" running lights on.

Step on the go-pedal and the supercharged engine lets out a very nice Jag growl. I have driven a 3-series BMW back-to-back with it now and you can definitely tell the difference between the two.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Jaguar has created their own version of a jelly bean car, it seems. It looks like all the other cars on the road, except for having different colors. From the front it looks like a Ford, and from the side it looks like anything from the orient. As for the newer Jag face.....they have gone the route of the other makers, by making huge unnecessary grills, and learning how to play with LED lighting. I do like the wheels though. I almost bought a set from Discount Tire, when I broke a rim a while back.....She just doesn't trip my trigger.....Mike

Old 12-20-2015, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mrplow58
..She just doesn't trip my trigger.....Mike
I will say it looks better in person and after a few days with it, I am seeing more Jaguar styling cues. It is harder to find in the mall parking lot than my blue cat (XK8) tho.

Like you, I prefer the older curvy styling. Bought mine because E-Types have grown out of my price range. Had a 1969 OTS and now the blue cat. I can say the XK8 is a much better car for daily driving and it still looks stunning.

The following users liked this post:
mrplow58 (12-20-2015)