X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile DRL's

Anyone know if it is possible to add DRL's to a 2003 X Type? I can get a 20% discount with my insurance company if I have them. On the Benz I had it was just a matter of changing the headlight relay from a standard US spec relay to a Canadian spec relay, which the dealer supplied. I a hoping on the Jaguar it is just as easy.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Adam, of course you can retrofit DRL's to your X type. I'm sure there are some members out there that have done and can offer some damn good advice on the subject.
Here's a link to some I added to my A6 as a guide.....not really difficult!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=40233

Hope it helps

Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Adam, the difference between a DRL spec'ed X-Type and a standard X-Type is a headlight switch and a computer module. It is all plug and play, but it may cost more than you are interested in. Now, with that being said, I am sure there is a way to wire up the non-DRL headlights to act just like DRL headlights. If you are interested in that, let me know. I just need to know what your electrical abilities are like as I am sure this will involve cutting/splicing wiring together to make it work.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Isn't it just a computer programming thing the dealer can do? I bought my X in the US and the dealer had it so dip beams come on with ignition before I went home, free of charge. Doubt any parts or labor were involved for free.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Smile DRL's

Originally Posted by Thermo
Adam, the difference between a DRL spec'ed X-Type and a standard X-Type is a headlight switch and a computer module. It is all plug and play, but it may cost more than you are interested in. Now, with that being said, I am sure there is a way to wire up the non-DRL headlights to act just like DRL headlights. If you are interested in that, let me know. I just need to know what your electrical abilities are like as I am sure this will involve cutting/splicing wiring together to make it work.
Besides changing fuses I have no electrical ability. Thanks anyway

Old 09-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Smile DRL's

Originally Posted by mohrd
Isn't it just a computer programming thing the dealer can do? I bought my X in the US and the dealer had it so dip beams come on with ignition before I went home, free of charge. Doubt any parts or labor were involved for free.
As I said in my post my Benz was just a matter of changing the headlight relay and when you turned the key on the low beams came on at 1/2 power.
I call the local Jaguar dealer and see what they say.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm in Canada so DRL are the law, my car has all the lights on all the time, back front HID on always. All my light switch does other than fogs is light up my dash, the headlightsa and tail lights are on regardless. I almost wish I had the auto feature, then I'd never have to touch the switch at all.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Veteran member

Adam, looking at the diagram, it is easier than I thought. But, it would involve cutting a wire inside the dash and then grounding it. If you have a friend that is electrically savvy, I'm sure what I type up with make lots of sense to him. In short, you would end up removing the headlight switch, cutting a specific wire (all the wires there are color coded, so, finding the correct wire is easy), and then adding a small jumper wire to tie this wire to chassis ground. This would cause the low beams (aka, DIP lights) to be on all the time, which is what the factory DRL system does.

The other option is to ask for a headlight switch from Canada/Sweden/Austria. All these countries require DRLs in all vehicles and the headlight switch already has the wiring modification done to it. So, if you can get your hands on a headlight switch from one of these countries, then all you have to do is remove the factory headlight switch, undo the plug, plug up the new headlight switch and install the new headlight switch. The rest of the wiring is already done for you.

Your call.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Adam, like I said, I have a US spec car and the dealer in the US was able to program the DRL's without parts or wiring for me so i could drive it back to Canada. From what I've read the DRLs on the X-Type is Dips, tails and side markers on, not just the dip beams, when the ignition is on, no matter what the headlight switch position is. That's exactly how mine operates. See what the dealer says.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Smile Drl

Thanks for all the information. I called the dealer yesterday and spoke to the service manager of the shop. He said as DRL's are not required in the US Jaguar would not be willing to install them on my car. The he went on about liability and such.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Smile DRL's

Adam, looking at the diagram, it is easier than I thought. But, it would involve cutting a wire inside the dash and then grounding it. If you have a friend that is electrically savvy, I'm sure what I type up with make lots of sense to him. In short, you would end up removing the headlight switch, cutting a specific wire (all the wires there are color coded, so, finding the correct wire is easy), and then adding a small jumper wire to tie this wire to chassis ground. This would cause the low beams (aka, DIP lights) to be on all the time, which is what the factory DRL system does.

The other option is to ask for a headlight switch from Canada/Sweden/Austria. All these countries require DRLs in all vehicles and the headlight switch already has the wiring modification done to it. So, if you can get your hands on a headlight switch from one of these countries, then all you have to do is remove the factory headlight switch, undo the plug, plug up the new headlight switch and install the new headlight switch. The rest of the wiring is already done for you.

Your call.
My neighbor across the street is a mechanic at a Ford dealership and does a lot of work on my cars over the years. If you send me the information, I will pass it on to him and see what he thinks. Thanks!

Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Thanks for all the information. I called the dealer yesterday and spoke to the service manager of the shop. He said as DRL's are not required in the US Jaguar would not be willing to install them on my car. The he went on about liability and such.
Drive to Canada!

Old 09-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Smile DRL's

My neighbor across the street is a mechanic at a Ford dealership and does a lot of work on my cars over the years. If you send me the information, I will pass it on to him and see what he thinks. Thanks!
Can you send me the information of set up of DRL's as you outlined in your email, my mechanic would like to take a shot at it. Many thanks.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Smile DRL's

Can you send me the info on setting up DRL's, my mechanic wants to take a shot at it. Many thanks!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Veteran member

Adam, pass this on to him. I think you will be surprised as to how easy this is.

-remove the headlight switch from the dash
-locate the green/black wire on the back of the headlight switch (pin #13) and cut the wire near the switch.
-ground the green/black wire on the car side (may require extending the wire some to reach a suitable ground location
-re-install the headlight switch

That is it. That will cause your low beam (DIP) headlights to be on any time the ignition key is in the RUN position. The only down side to this is you will not be able to turn off the low beam/DIP lights. If you still want this ability, then what you will need to do is instead of cutting the wire and grounding the car side of the wire, you will need to add a wire to pin #13 with a switch in that wire. The one end will be attached to pin #13, the other end to chassis ground. With the switch in the ON position, the low beam/DIP lights will come on with the ignition switch in the RUN position. With the switch in the OFF position, it will function just like it does now. The trick then is finding a place to mount the switch. But, the switch doesn't necessarily need to be out in the open since it will more than likely be used very infrequently. So, mounting it under the dash will work.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Smile DRL's

Adam, pass this on to him. I think you will be surprised as to how easy this is.

-remove the headlight switch from the dash
-locate the green/black wire on the back of the headlight switch (pin #13) and cut the wire near the switch.
-ground the green/black wire on the car side (may require extending the wire some to reach a suitable ground location
-re-install the headlight switch

That is it. That will cause your low beam (DIP) headlights to be on any time the ignition key is in the RUN position. The only down side to this is you will not be able to turn off the low beam/DIP lights. If you still want this ability, then what you will need to do is instead of cutting the wire and grounding the car side of the wire, you will need to add a wire to pin #13 with a switch in that wire. The one end will be attached to pin #13, the other end to chassis ground. With the switch in the ON position, the low beam/DIP lights will come on with the ignition switch in the RUN position. With the switch in the OFF position, it will function just like it does now. The trick then is finding a place to mount the switch. But, the switch doesn't necessarily need to be out in the open since it will more than likely be used very infrequently. So, mounting it under the dash will work.
Many thanks!