X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC On/Off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DSC On/Off?

2006 X-Type Sport. DSC and Message Centre fitted.

I've had the car about four months - and I've never played with the DSC button - until last night.

I push the button, and nothing happens. According to the Owner's Manual, I should be getting a message in the Message Centre of "DSC ON" or "DSC OFF". I don't. There is also a cryptic reference to an amber light that is supposed to blink - but I've never seen that. There is also what appears to be a light above the DSC switch on the gearshift console, but I've never seen it do anything.

My question for those of you with DSC is - what should I be seeing in terms of lights and displays (blinking or otherwise...)?

I'm testing this in my driveway with the car running. Sport mode on or off doesn't make a difference. I haven't tried it with the car in motion.

I did have an ACM installed last month, but I never tried the DSC before the install. I suppose its possible that the installer did not reconnect the DSC switch.

Thanks for your ideas and feedback...

Old 12-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: DSC On/Off?

When you push the DSC button (slippery car button) in the center console, you should get amsg in the msg center (where the odometer/tripometer read) saying DSC System On/DSC System Off. Without the car in motion, you will not see any other indicators since the DSC (Traction control) controls wheel spin and slide in bad weather conditions.

Also, nothing is going to happen (other than the little red LED on the S button goes on/off) when you press the Sport mode button unless the car is moving since that controls the point at which thetranny shifts when the engine is revving while driving. Higher revsin Sport for that stick shift feel.

The round red light above the DSC button has nothing to do with either of these. It ispart of your security system. It is the engine immobilizer indicator light signalling that your engine will only start with your key.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Received 2,193 Likes on 1,359 Posts

daaaaannngggg

Old 12-13-2008, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info...

So, just to be clear - when I press the slippery car button - should I see the DSC ON/OFF message in the message center even if the car is NOT moving?

Old 12-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BRUTAL
daaaaannngggg
[sm=smiley9.gif]aawww, thx. So I was right? [sm=grinangel.gif]LOL

ORIGINAL: Kevin93940
when I press the slippery car button - should I see the DSC ON/OFF message in the message center even if the car is NOT moving?
Yes. Keep your eye on the msg center while pressing the button. The msg goes off (reverts back to odo/trip) pretty quickly. You may miss it.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:26 PM

OK, well...

I watched closely, and I even tried it while the car was moving, and no messages appear in message centre - so something definitely isn't working.

I still have warranty on the car - so it looks like its back to the dealer.

Any theories on what might be wrong? Could they have screwed it up when they installed the ACM?

Thanks...

Old 12-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

yes, they could have knocked a wire loose or something... did it work before the ACM went in?

Old 12-14-2008, 08:07 PM

I wish I knew.

I never really played around with it before the ACM install.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dsc system

I just want to know is it better to have that system on or not I have a 00 and it has less than 90,000miles so im trying to keep it in good condition as long as possible. help and what is the button next to it do? In the middle of the two sits in the front

Old 02-16-2015, 02:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

Quannie, having the DSC system on or off is a personal preference thing. i think it really depends on your adverse weather driving skills. For the average person, leaving it on is probably for the best. For those that have grown up driving a RWD car in the snow and have done lots of "experimenting" with what a car can and cannot do, they may find the DSC system too intrusive and will turn it off as you can do a lot of the DSC functions by appropriate application of the brakes and potentially do a better job than the DSC system can do.

The following users liked this post:
Quannie (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Quannie, having the DSC system on or off is a personal preference thing. i think it really depends on your adverse weather driving skills. For the average person, leaving it on is probably for the best. For those that have grown up driving a RWD car in the snow and have done lots of "experimenting" with what a car can and cannot do, they may find the DSC system too intrusive and will turn it off as you can do a lot of the DSC functions by appropriate application of the brakes and potentially do a better job than the DSC system can do.
Thank, I was just curious.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:56 AM

thanks , I was just curious.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I have plenty of snow driving experience, and had plenty of opportunity to experiment the last few weeks.

My DSC is staying "ON". It reacts faster than I can in most cases.

That little yellow blinky light lets you know when the system is doing something. Realistically, if you drive in a lot of poor conditions and have a good idea of how to drive in them, you won't see it much.