X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duplicate key (s) for 2006 X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duplicate key (s) for 2006 X-Type

Just bought a used x-type, 2006 with only one key/fob (switch-blade type.) Called local Jag dealer to get duplicates. He quoted me $650. Per! Any cheaper suggestions?

Last edited by GGG; 10-15-2021 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:19 PM
Received 8,104 Likes on 4,889 Posts

SONE might able to help?

Forum member that cut some keys for me in the past.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:08 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts

The only way that you can save money on something like this is to order a blank blade and new keyfob via a service like e-bay. You then have to call around to your local lock smith and some will have the computer that will allow them to access the computer to allow accepting a new security code. That should drop the price down to around $300 or so. But, you are not going to get much less than that.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by FordX-Type2006
Just bought a used x-type, 2006 with only one key/fob (switch-blade type.) Called local Jag dealer to get duplicates. He quoted me $650. Per! Any cheaper suggestions?
I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Graham

Old 10-15-2021, 10:50 AM
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I second motorcarman, message the user Sone for a better price on keys.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/members/sone-195620/

Old 10-17-2021, 06:57 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FordX-Type2006
You have several options.

Briefly, the KEY is the mechanical part that turns the lock in the door, glovebox or ignition. To start the car, you need a TRANSPONDER (chip) that the computer will ping to get the code. Right code, car starts.

Since you only have the one key, I suggest that you check with local auto locksmiths to get prices for CLONING the transponder in the fob. Call around, pricing can vary widely. I can then duplicate your key from photos, (standard or with a fob), and he can install a chip that your car will see as being that one, original key. The big advantage of doing it this way is that it eliminates the risk of losing your one and only key in the mail or FedEx. Tell the locksmith that you will supply the key (or fob), all that he has to do is clone the chip. ANY NUMBER of keys can be made using cloned chips, and the car will think that they are the original.

Next best solution is to remove the transponder chip from the fob and glue it inside the plastic shroud, where it will be pinged. Once this is done, any key that is properly cut will start the car, forever. I can supply you all the cut keys that you like.

If there is someone near you who can run the software which mates transponders to the car, I can make and send keys with original factory chips in them, and they can tell the computer to use them.

The last resort is to send me the key and fob, so that I can duplicate the key and clone the transponder. I really don't like this idea, simply because it kills your car until the keys are sent back to you. If you do this, I strongly urge you to spend the money to FedEx it both ways.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
The only way that you can save money on something like this is to order a blank blade and new keyfob via a service like e-bay. You then have to call around to your local lock smith and some will have the computer that will allow them to access the computer to allow accepting a new security code. That should drop the price down to around $300 or so. But, you are not going to get much less than that.
There are chips out there which can be cloned by a local locksmith and installed in a key shell. I can supply keys without transponders for less than $40, so the question then becomes the pricing for the cloned chip.

If he were in my area, I can do the whole job (key and cloning) for under $100 (standard key), as he waits.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:03 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I went to the Jaguar sealer yesterday to have an extra Fob programed. He said it wasn't a Jaguar one and if they tried to mate it to the cr it could wipe out the computer. I think he was bullshitting me. He proceeded to quote me $ 500.00 for a key. Ridiculous.
How is the transponder chip powered once you put it under the shroud ? Is there a best location for this procedure. I think I am going to go this route. I am going to research locally for getting the keys cut but if I don't have any luck I will contact Sone about having my two extra keys cut.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:00 AM

It's not that he was BSing you, he just doesn't know and was being as cautious as possible. It can't "blow the computer," the computer either accepts it or doesn't. Any Texas Instruments 4D60 chip can be mated to the computer.

The chip is just a glass tube. No batteries, no connections to the outside world. It is powered by the pulse from the sensor. You want the chip as close as possible to the ring around the ignition lock, and tape it in place to test it. Start the car at least ten times, and if it works, use a dab of Shoe Goo to glue the chip in place. I advise mounting it inside the plastic shroud, but some sensor rings are stronger than others, giving you more area that the chip can be mounted in and still work. The windshield wiper wand would be a place to try, for instance.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:24 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As a follow up to a different thread (Another door key lock out (Tibbe key)) and applicable to this thread, I just today had a key cloned for my x-type for $165, to include about 45 minutes of work. Locksmith in Kingsport TN cut the tibbe key and cloned the new key chip. Interesting process. He had the tools, software, and knowledge. Not all locksmiths do. I did not get a Jaguar logo key fob that had the remote open/close (available on ebay). The locksmith provided a plain 5-pin tibbe that accommodated a chip that works on Jaguars, so it requires manually locking/unlocking the doors, which is okay since it will be my spare key.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:18 PM

Hi, I am visiting a locksmith this coming week to find out if he can program an after market key I plan to buy on Ebay. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:14 AM

I'm interested in sending fob for u to duplicate the key and clone the transponder. Can you provide some contact info?

Old 12-21-2022, 09:07 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dorkko
I'm interested in sending fob for u to duplicate the key and clone the transponder. Can you provide some contact info?
Dorrko,
Let me suggest you contact Tri-Cities Lock & Key in Blountville, TN < https://tricitieslock.com/ >
I suggest you try working with them directly as, technically, there may be a state law related to necessity to show ownership of vehicle, VIN #, etc. I'm not sure. I showed up with the car and the key, had the key number (original owner had entered the number into the owners manual) so it was easy for them to cut and they knew I was the owner. Chat with them and see what they can and cannot do for you. Good success.

Old 12-21-2022, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Squito
Dorrko,
there may be a state law related to necessity to show ownership of vehicle, VIN #, etc. I'm not sure.
Not in the United States.