X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is easier

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is easier

Need a good opinion which is easier to do change entire lower control arm or just the ball joint I have a 2008 Xtype and I need to change ball joint cause the rubber booth is torn on driver's side so may as well change both sides give me your good advise. I have had great responses on this forum so I know you guys will help me out thanks.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,898 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Player, I think there are a few more questions that need to be answered before getting to a final answer. The first being: is the rubber at the frame still in good condition? If not, then replacing the whole arm is going to be necessary or you are simply putting a band aid on a bigger issue. The other question I have is whether you have access to an angle grinder or not. If not, then removing the ball joint is going to be hard as you have to get rid of the factory rivets to pull the ball joint out (atleast it was thta way on my 03).

So, if the rubber is good and you have access to an angle grinder, then ball joint only. Otherwise, replace the whole arm.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-07-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rubber at the frame in good condition and I do have an angle grinder so looks like its going to be ball joints. I have read on the forum how its done but if any pictures are available it would be helpful. Thanks again as usual this forum is the best.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:25 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Playerpetegunn

This link might help you, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ebuild-231537/ theres a few links to other relevant info. I personally found it better to replace the entire arm, for the reasons
1. price of a Ball joint alone was £18/20 UK, complete new wishbone inc ball joint £29 (the old ball joint rubber was torn).
2. I found it easier to remove the complete wishbone than try and struggle to lift the hub off and back on the joint as single handed to line ball joint arm up was a mare, it kept trying to go out and in at an angle and kept jamming up. Once I dropped the wishbone it literally just plopped out...
3. She took a knock on the wheel just after Xmas in the snow and I was getting slight vibration at high speed through the steering so took the decision to replace the lot for what it cost.
4. I cleaned up the subframe while Id stripped everything out of the way. I'm intending to strip the o/s as soon as the weather picks up again that will involve a complete rebuild of that side but the ride is a lot smoother from just the N/S.
5. My car is parked about 60 Meters from any power supply and in a field so I would have had to take the wishbone out to get it to a grinder in any case.

Grinding the old ball joint out is quite easy if you have the tools ether way, I have heard some have struggled with the sub frame bolt to lower sufficiently to get the wishbone bolt out that's next to the bulk head. Ether way good luck