X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021 | 11:10 AM
|
Default electric nightmare

Hello. I have 2003 x-type 2.0 TDCI with sat. nav. and these features.
And I have a problem with instrument cluster, bcm or something else. Now to the problem. Sometimes when I want to start, all the lights come on and the Fuel computer data error pops up and it doesn't start. When I turn the ignition off and on a few times, the car starts and runs without a problem. (sometimes it takes 1 turn, and sometimes 20).It also happens that while driving, the gagues with the exception of the fuel fall down and all the warning lights come on and the fuel computer error pops up again, but the car continues to run fine and without losing power. Also during this problem climate control says fault connection.
Battery is good...

Old 12-07-2021 | 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hi TheWeirdOne,
Sounds like you are occasionally loosing CAN Bus data to or within the instrument cluster.
The CAN Bus data flows from module to module on two wires (Yellow and Green), linking Engine control, transmission control, instruments, climate control, ABS some accessory features etc. all together.
The data 'daisy chains' from module to module, so if the instrument cluster is not receiving it the problem might be upstream as CAN data comes out of the General Electronics Module (GEM) and circulates throughout the car's subsystems.
If as you say everything else is seemingly OK when the fault appears, you are possibly looking at either an intermittent wire or bad plug to or from climate module or instrument cluster or an internal fault within the instrument cluster iteslf.

Thermo (one of the key contributors to this forum - who has forgotten more about these cars than most of us know) often refers to bad connection joints that can manifest themselves on some of the internal flexible connections linking the instrument cluster's circuit boards together.
When the fault appears next, give the dash top a good thump above the instrument cluster to see if it reacts. If so, the that probably means you are pulling the instrument cluster out to then open it up and look for cracked solder joints on the ribbon cables as they terminate to the boards.
Probably a good place to start your investigation. If the instrument cluster is falling out of communication it could affect other systems behaviours.

Old 12-16-2021 | 12:58 PM
From: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America

A BIG Rubber Hammer should be included in the trunk of every X-Type. It is the "#1 Go-to Tool" for most diagnostics and temporary repairs, electrical and mechanical!

Tip: Don't smack the top of the dash, most every X-Type dash is now too sun-struck not to crack or explode. Smacking a stick or socket extension placed up under the dash - lightly and judiciously, with the rubber hammer - against a sheet metal or other member should suffice. Or just wait for that passenger that thinks they need to slam the door like they are in a cheap Asian car to fix everything for you.

Old 12-16-2021 | 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Love the door slam, Bruce. I can't tell you how many times I've told passengers, "It's a Jaguar not a Ford" when they slam the door. Irritates the crap out of me.

Old 12-16-2021 | 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Good call on the fragile dash pad Bruce....mine is still OK, hence I hadn't given that any thought.
A prior owner for mine has been somewhat liberal with some epoxy to glue the windshield vent grilles down rather than replacing the clips.....bugger!

I wonder if the designers named our model as they did simply because you need to first mark a troublesome spot with an 'X' before you bust it one!

As to the door slammers.....is that a generational thing?
They never close any other door behind themselves, so I guess a car door is their first experience mandatory compliance...... unless they have a open top Jeep or Mini Moke.