X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric seat issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric seat issues

(Model = X-Type; no Year details in profile - GGG)

I read all the post on the seat issues but mine is a little different. The passenger seat only has a single switch to operate the seat back. The problem is it goes back but not forward which has left the seat in an almost laying back position. I have had the seat out and cant find away of how to manually get the seat back into a sitting position. I also couldn't find the motor and was thinking maybe its in the back part of the seat. Im also a little confused as if the seat moves back but then not forward am i right in thinking that the motor is working and the issue must be something else. Please help guys as this is a problem with the seat set so far back .

Last edited by GGG; 05-25-2015 at 03:46 AM. Reason: add Model details
Old 05-25-2015, 03:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum chalky6870,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Feedback & Suggestion Centre to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-25-2015, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

chalky, welcome to the forums. Lots of good info here. So, be ready for an answer hopefully.

The good news is that since the motor works for laying the seat down, we know the motor is good. With that being said, it is looking like your problem lies in the switch itself. So, a trip to the dealer may be in hand (a new switch is roughly $130 USD) or you may be able to find one at your local wrecking/recycling yard. But, if you go the used route, be ready to buy the whole seat, not just the switch.

For the moment, you can get the seat back to an upright position by doing the following:
-unbolt the seat from the car, keeping the connector made up as much as possible (worst case, undo the plug, get the seat to a position where you can access the plug and the switch)
-obtain a small piece of wire (say 10 cm long) that is a solid core wire and is about 18 gauge in size (size of the wire is only to make it easy for you to hold and be stiff enough to slide into a hole)
-looking at the plug, it should have 5 wires connected to it (two black wires, an orange/green wire, white/green wire, and a yellow green wire). Note one of the black wires and the white/green wire.
-Slide the jumper wire into the back side of the plug so the jumper wire goes in next to the two wire mention above. WARNING!!!!!! At this point, DO NOT!!!!!! attempt to lay the seat back as this will cause a short to be introduced and can cause wiring damage. At a minimum the fuse for the seat will blow. Attempt to raise the seat. If the seat raises, then this half of the switch was bad and will need replacement.
-If the above step didn't work, then remove the jumper wire. Now locate the orange/green wire and the yellow/green wire and install the jumper wire between these two locations. Again, DO NOT!!!!! attempt to lay the seat back for the same reasons.
-Attempt to raise the seat.
-Once the seat is in the proper position, make sure the jumper is removed from the seat and you can now place the seat back in the car until a proper repair can be made.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
chalky6870 (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 AM

I tried the jumper trick on both wires and followed your instructions but on the first set of wires nothing happened. The second set of wires orange/green wire and the yellow/green wire this just blew the fuses. Im convinced its not the motor as you said and I agree the motor runs to lay the seat down, but now the switch thing doesn't work for me have you anymore help please.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:37 AM

I tried the jumper trick on both wires and followed your instructions but on the first set of wires nothing happened. The second set of wires orange/green wire and the yellow/green wire this just blew the fuses. Im convinced its not the motor as you said and I agree the motor runs to lay the seat down, but now the switch thing doesn't work for me have you anymore help please.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

chalky, from the sounds of things, you may have a bad switch that has failed internally or you have different wiring that the drawing I was referring to (the drawing was for 2001.5 to 2004.25 MY cars). If you have a newer vehicle, then let me know. The wiring might be slightly different. I also sent you a PM on using 2 jumpers at the same time. if the fuse blows this time, then you have a gear problem most likely. Directions on the double jumper are in the PM.

The following users liked this post:
chalky6870 (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 01:38 PM

I tried it and it worked. Im so Happy. Just also managed to get a used switch ordered of ebay the same as mine. Once again many thanks