X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Question (melted pin please help)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Question (melted pin please help)

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 Jaguar x type 3L and had some funky issues with the rear fog lamp coming on and off when turn signal is on, also cruise control cancels when turn signal is on as the rear brake lights flash too.

Pulled the tail light connector apart and found this pin melted on both sides. See images attached.

Anyone know...
1) Why it may have happened to begin with? Also what the specific wire is for?
2) Can it be fixed using the connector I have on there? Can’t see the other side of the wires to “jump” it. If not, how?
3) I couldn’t find ANY online, and the local junk yards don’t have any Jags so where could I get one? Or who could help?

Thanks from a fellow Jaguar 🐆 owner

Melted pin.. Can it be fixed by an electrical guy or jumped some how?

🙏

Old 10-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Jason, if I remember right (I don't have my drawings in front of me), the pin in question is the ground wire (should have a black wire on the wire side of the plug that goes to the melted pin). What you can do is remove the red clip inside the plug and that should allow you to pull that melted pin out. Remember what the pin looks like (may want to cut it off, but you need to make sure that you can get a new pin) and go to the local auto parts place. They should have a package of new pins. Yo ucan then cut the old pin off and then crimp on a new pin. You will then have to take a scribe or a screw driver and scrape the pin that has gotten too hot to clean it up and return it to a shiny silver appearance. From there, you can put the replaced pin back in the plug and reinstall the red clip.

As for the cause of this, if the pin gets a little loose, it will develop a high resistance connection. This will lead to overheating and the wiring trying to find and alternate path to ground. This is a common issue with the tail lights. Seen a few cars with this problem.