Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cut out at 70mph :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 12:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Engine cut out at 70mph :(

Aaaaand here I go again.
after at least a year of trouble free motoring...the jag' has been pulling like a train ...until today

Today my lovely old x type 2.0 TD cut out on me at 70mph on the A12 of all places ..how the hell I didn't get squished I don't know.

Anyway the obligatory glow plug light was flashing so turning off the car and restarting it got rid of the glow plug light BUT the car is running very rough at ~1200 to 1500 RPM and cuts out under even gentle acceleration.

AND it's back to making the strange pinging sound on the over run....I had this a long while ago but it had disappeared....but its now back and even worse.

My first thought was oh poo the pump or injectors or turbo actuator.

so limped it home and have done some tests
here's the result of a 5 min hot leak off test

not much leak back at all and very balanced.

here's a link to the vid of SDD showing the idle and fast idle fuel rail pressure.

I've checked the injector coding and it hadn't 'lost' the codes like the mondeo's sometimes do...I also re-entered the injector coding just to be sure.

I've also checked the Turbo actuator position in SDD and that the turbo vanes are physically moving freely

Strange thing is the only fault codes showing are these

Cant see codes relevant to a injection problem.
there were no 'related' codes stored at all !!!

Just for comparison what should the fuel rail pressure be at idle and fast Idle (2k rpm with car stood still) roughly be....mine is ~ 4000psi at Idle and ~8300psi at fast idle ...Can't do live road test of pressures as I have nowhere quiet to do it.

The fluctuation on the over run suggests the pump (more likely the IMV) can't control the pressure ...However I had a spare IMV And I have swapped it out ...I also swapped out the fuel rail sensor as I had another one with no effect.

I've fitted a new Delphi fuel filter and drained the old one (virtually no dirt in it at all and NO ferrous metal)

The pinging sound does to me sound like the injector duty cycle is wrong....almost like its dumping system pressure

My gut says Pump or injectors but the leak off test was sooo good ...hmmm

This just had to happen when our other car has a gearbox fault ...

Last edited by GGG; 02-10-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 02-10-2020, 07:03 AM

Well
Got time to take the old x-type for a run today with the laptop connected and sure enough injection pressure drops (fluctuating madly) under load to under 3500psi and boom limp mode then cut out with code P0251 ...oh poo it is Injection pump and or injectors then.
I had a gut feeling this was going to be the case.
trouble is round here the cost of this repair is likely to be well over £1000... ...is it really worth it for an old 05 plate car ...if it was an 09 or maybe even an 08 car then the value of the car would be just enough to make it worthwhile.
I have a feeling this is the end of the road for the X type estate. ...just wish I'd bought petrol X type ...you live and learn ..hopefully.
I'm going to leave it on the drive for a few weeks just in case a repair option (donor ford mondeo) presents itself but I suspect its game over.
And adding more insult to injury is the growing number of cities and towns and even some work sites that don't allow or charge fees to allow diesels to enter.
Ironically I only just got SDD 131 to work reliably.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,002 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Might be worth going down the 2nd hand route; these guys may be able to help:-

https://www.autoreservejaguar.com/ca...&body_type=163

Old 02-22-2020, 04:53 AM

well decision made I've Sorn'ed the old x-type and taken it off the road...I'm not about to pay road tax on a dead car.

drained the 1/2 tank of diesel it had in it ...easy job lift out rear seat followed by the large rubber grommet covering the fuel level sender ..unplug the sender ..decouple the fuel lines ..unscrew the cover .siphon out the fuel ..reverse procedure to put it all back.
took all of 15 mins.
and gives me 3/4 tank of diesel in our shitreon.

so If any one in the Uk wants any bits we'll sort out a cheap deal.

bearing in mind most of the fueling parts /injectors/pump pipes are fooked .

if nothing else it has a good set of 16" alloys with 4 tyres that are 2 months old.

I'll be stripping it for ebay and scrapping the shell (bit of a shame as its a and a rust free shell....yes even the sills) ..but it'll probably get me ~£100
so if you need something ask reasonably quickly....although the weather is crap here at the moment so it'll probably be whole for a couple of weeks.

I've already sold off most of my accumulated spares.

time to find another car ....it wont have the road presence of the x-type though...it was a nice car to drive ..when it worked.

any way good luck to all you X-type owners and Huge thanks for all the advice over the last couple of years.

Last edited by greenestate; 02-22-2020 at 05:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:42 PM
Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Good luck with it all, Greenestate. Maybe you can find another good Jag.