X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stickman, I agree it is most likely not a CAN problem. If it were, it would be affecting more systems than just the engine management system. Ask the service advisor what specific fault they found in the TB, or are they just guessing. I would first check to see if there is a carbon ring aroung the butterfly inside the TB, it can stick causing not enough air to be entering the engine. A carbon ring will NOT cause a code. And diagnosis time is legit, a common misconception is that the factory diag tool tells all, that is totally inacurate. Good techs don't work for free.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The dane,
You are correct. The factory diagnostic tool can read the flight record form the ECM but it only tells that there was an event, not necessarily what caused it. My main issue with this whole process is that I believed (and still do) that this dealer was setting me up for an enormous bill by using the CAN Bus as a smokescreen. Jaguar Customer Service however has won me over. The dealer claimed over the phone that they got the Can Bus working by cleaning the pins on the HVAC module. I wasn't having a problem with the HVAC system!!! I realize that logic doesn't always hold sway in matters invovling British cars, but one would think that if the Can Bus is down and that is what is causing the engine stall, that the offending module would also case an operating issue in the intended primary system. So, HVAC module down there should be no HVAC. Maybe that's too simplistic. I'm going to pick it up in a couple hours so when I see the paperwork I can tell how they tied all this stuff together.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 AM

The logic behind your not having an HVAC problem isn't necessarily true all the time. I had a '98 Benz E-320 that got soaked in a rainstorm. Long story short, the L/R window motor/control module was faulty, occasionally knocking out the whole right side of the car when the outside temp went over 80 F; no window, seat, or mirror operation. My question: How did the pins on the HVAC module get 'corroded' to begin with? (It's awfully tough to get liquids behind the a/c module)

Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was fully aware of my lack of knowledge on exactly how things work on these cars so for my part it was a mad scramble to get some basic understanding so I could protect myself. And as I indicated, logic doesn't always work either so unless you are well informed you are at the dealers mercy. I can count on one hand the number of dealers I have ever been involved over with the last 45 years that gave the customer a fair shake. This dealer does not fall into that category. So after confronting them Monday AM and telling me that they didn't have the CAN bis sorted out , and the tech called in sick that day, and they couldn't assign another tech to work on it, but I could take it somewhere else if I wanted to which I agreed, 2 hours later they magically found the paperwork, and the CAN bus had been fixed by cleaning the module pins and reconnecting( cosmic coincidence? ) and they had codes and a flight record pointing them to the throttle body. Not just any throttle body, but the $2100 throttle body plus labor. You gotta be kidding me. That's where Jaguar customer relations enters the picture and takes control. I am more than satisfied with the way Jaguar handled this.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:23 AM

Stickman: I wasn't ragging, I was just saying that computers defy any and all logic at times. I'd take the car out of the shop, inspect the TB to check for carbon build-up, and see what happens. Or they 'might' have unintentionally fixed the problem by 'curing' the CAN problem.