X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine judder at most speeds.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine judder at most speeds.

Hi Guys, I have an X-type 2.0D Sport 2005. I have two problems which may be related, the first was the amount of smoke from the exhaust the second is an engine judder, almost feels like your in the wrong gear. a slight deseleration or exceleration and it disapears, this happens at all speeds. I have replaced the air fillter and the smoke has reduced a lot, although I will have to make a long run to confirm. the judder is still there. the exceleration speed etc is fine, no lights showing does not stall and ticks over at 800 rpm without faltering, starts first time every time. any thoughts. this judder is driving me mad especialy on the motorways which I use a lot, .

Old 01-23-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Engine judder at most speeds.

sounds like maybe it's the spark plugs?

a diesel Sport? that just seems SOOO counter-intuitive.....

Old 01-23-2009, 06:02 PM

Hi Mc - Spark plugs on a diesel ?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: codafile5

Hi Mc - Spark plugs on a diesel ?
RIGHT.... that's why there's a after that comment.
there's no question... I'm a smart-a**.....

Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 PM

I see, very helpful, thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  6.0 KB

Hi codafile.....don't know too much about the diesel Jags, but having run diesels for quite a few years I have a few thoughts.

Wrong fuel up at any point? Poor quality fuel ( ie - water in fuel etc )
Fuel pump problem
turbo related? I had a pin ***** size hole in my diaphragm caused similar traits.

Just a few ideas, sorry I can't be more helpful.

McJag - some high powered diesel "sports " cars can outrun some serious petrol equivalents nowadays. They can be tuned much easier too, gaining more bhp and much higher torque gains as well as getting seriously better mpg.......no real downsides these days!

All the best

Jim

Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 PM

okay.... so, i feel the need to remind everyone at this juncture that I AM JUST KIDDING..... when I put the smiley on it. That's its purpose, right?

So: Codafile: real sorry dood, if a lighthearted comment has offended your tiny sensibilities...... if you feel that it wasted your time in some fashion... then perhaps check back a little less frequently... or skip my posts....

and Jim: Elsewhere in this forum you'll see that I am 'intimately' familiar with the Audi ALMS car... yes, the twin-turbo'd one that dominated the racing world 2 yrs ago in its maiden year.

I'm just kidding folks.
I don't know why ANYONE would take me serious.... I don't.[&:]

Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 AM

We have a saying" Make sure your brain is engaged before you open your mouth" calling me names does not impress anyone apart from those who make them, I apologise to the forum for even replying to this comment. no doubt the forum will get more comments from McJaguar, I wont see them because they will be blocked just as he sujested.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Of course I have no direct jaguar deisel experience being in the U.S. but I do have considerable experience with other deisels. Sounds like a misfire, perhaps not a completely dead cylinder but at least weak. This would account for both the "judder" and excess smoke from the exhaust. I think I would perform a cylinder balance test to confirm. I have to assume that a cylinder balance test is possible with the Jaguar diagnostic equipment since these tests have been common on U.S. speced deisels for quite some time now. If the dealer is not an option and the injectors are accessible and electronically fired rather than mechanically you could individually disconnect electrical feed to each injector as the engine is running at idle and judge cylinder balance by ear. This assumes the balance is far enough out to be heard by ear and my experience with deisels is that even a small imbalance can cause the "judder" you describe, especially in a hard working small deisel engine. My experience is mostly with large V8-V12 deisels where imbalance is a little harder to pin down without computer aided diagnostics.

Perhaps a Jaguar tech with factory deisel training will add a response.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Why....why...why can't we all just getalong??

Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: codafile5

We have a saying" Make sure your brain is engaged before you open your mouth" calling me names does not impress anyone apart from those who make them, I apologise to the forum for even replying to this comment. no doubt the forum will get more comments from McJaguar, I wont see them because they will be blocked just as he sujested.
huh. I've looked, and then looked again.... and I just can't see ANYWHERE that I've called you a name. As a matter of principle, I am not a name-caller. As a matter of character, I tend to like pretty much EVERYBODY. So I am of course saddened that you, someone whom I have no reason to dislike, would dislike me to the point of taking such a serious offense to some playful comments.
But I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.

ORIGINAL: Racex82
Why....why...why can't we all just getalong??
Racer, dood, sometimes you're my hero on this forum.
Somehow you manage to be funny, abrupt, even coarse on occasion, and yet I don't think I've ever seen people pissed at you.
Me, on the other hand: This is the second time I've pissed-off someone on this forum enough for them to get their panties all twisted-up.

I don't get it. But I am certainly willing to accept that it must be me.

So I guess I'll be checking-out. At least for awhile.

It is not now, and has never been my attempt to do anything here but 'enjoy our time together', such that it is.
I'm not going to tell everyone how much you'll miss me, like the last guy did though....

catch ya in the funny-papers.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM

Real_Tech, many thanks for the most imformative possible causes, I will check this out and let you know, thats 2 items to check thanks.
ken

Old 01-24-2009, 01:09 PM

We all know you were kidding mcjaguar, no need to explain

Old 01-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 1248
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 1310
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  6.0 KB

No need for that McJ.....you've always beena a valued member here. I can't see anywhere where you've called anybody a name either.
I reckon all it is....is that the guy has some serious problems ( really pissing him off and or worrying him ) as I'm sure you can imagine. I know I could....and you're havin a laugh. He just din't find it funny I guess

Jim

Old 01-25-2009, 05:49 AM

Mcjaguar, the last thing I'd want was foryou to stop joining the forum, that's unfair to those who have valued your service in the past so please don't drop out, I will be going back to Afghanistan in a few days so it's me that will be missing and you have to agree your experteeze is more valued than mine. this will be my last post for some time and hopefully enough time to settle things back to normal.....Stay onthe forum chin up and keep smilling...........................I'am gone........

Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 PM

codafile:
not sure if you'll get this or not. That's nice of you to post up like that. But truly, it's not about just your response to my joust. A while ago, I gave some advice to another member of this forum; something to the effect of "if enough people tell you you're acting like an ***, then maybe there's something to that!" So, you being the second on this forum to get bent over something I said, I gotta take my own advice and do a little inventory..... I'm okay with that.

And as for whose 'experteeze' is more valuable....? I think there are plenty of very knowledgeable people here, and nobody's gonna miss the little bit that I know.

Good luck in Afghanistan.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

[sm=boohoo.gif][sm=boohoo.gif][sm=boohoo.gif][sm=boohoo.gif] someone had to post these guys. lol

Old 11-09-2015, 02:45 PM

Same car, same model, same year and exactly the same problem! At a steady speed around 2000RPM the car would judder, drop the speed and the car ran smoothly or alternately accelerate and again would run fine, only problem being the car behind would disappear in a cloud of black smoke!!! Just dropped off at the garage and the engineer took the car up the road and back, opened the bonnet stuck his hand down the front right under the main vac hose, pulled his hand out, covered in oil......thats your problem, the hose has split!! Replacement needs to be genuine jag hose, but hopefully this will solve the issue. Will keep updated.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:31 PM
Default X type judders

Following on from my last post, my X type 2.0l diesel sport, was taken to the garage, juddering when held at a steady speed around 2000RPM and when accelerating would blow out a heavy black cloud of smoke. Engineer drove it less than than 400m, opened the bonnet and put his hand down the front right and pulled it back out covered in oil!! Easy job he said. Collected yesterday with a new "boost pipe" fiitted, total cost £50. No juddering, no black smoke and drives like a dream.