X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Jurking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Jurking

Today while driving to work ( around 80 miles one way) I sped up teh car to over take from 70 to 85-90 the started to slow down to my normal speed 70-75 but I noticed the a kind of jerk in the engine ( may be its the gear box not sure), it kept propping up for say 5-6 miles run, the I had to stop for Gas I could not hear or feel the jerks there after. I know I have seen similar issues been discussed here
thanks

Old 02-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Clarify a little bit of when the jerks take place - is it between gear changes?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

its common between gear chages, i've noticed in my 02 2.5, with sport mode on there felt less.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

It doesn't sound to me like this is the normal gear change. It shouldn't "jerk" in any mode. The last time mine jerked on a gear change it blew the tranny out (see my Tranny is Toast thread for symptom description on my 02). An occasional jerk when the tranny searches for the right gear under hard acceleration or if you drop the throttle then let of real quick will happen.

What I mean to ask is does the jerk/lurch/miss whatever happen between gears or is it the engine misfiring......

Old 02-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Unhappy

Actually I was feeling the jerk when in fifth gear, one more additional thing happened while driving back form work the Transmission malfunction light has come up on the taco meter though i didn't feel any jerks driving back i have driven the car 35 mile after the light came up... is it ok to drive
how do i remove this light ( turn it off) do i have to take it tot the dealer..

I remember seeing some where how you could clear this any help is appreciated as always.
its a 05 x with 68k

Last edited by bbjack; 02-04-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Don't clear the light without finding out why it is on. Get the codes read and go from there.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Question codes

The light went of in the morning , i checked the codes
i got
p2635
p1111
?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Arrow OBD error code P 2635

I had the engine light come up again today while driving, i checked it using my scanner i get the same code P2635
I have google'd it and I get some generic pointers' could any of you guys here advice

here what i found
'P2635 Fuel Pump "A" Low Flow / Performance'

Old 02-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it jerking when you let off the gas to coast down?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

When was your last fuel filter change?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Default fuel filter

Deep -
Normally i have this sort of jerk ( which now looks as if the there may me fuel blockage) when I am around 70-80 MPH ..yes when coasting

CrisX-

I haven't changed the fuel filter yet it has 70 K miles on the ODO I am expecting to get this done this service, does that mean I will have to change the fuel pump?
or the fuel filter should set it right..

thanks guyshttps://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

bbjack, the fuel filter is a regular maintenance item. It is on the underside of the vehicle, looks kinda like a small oil filter inline with your fuel line. You do not need to change your fuel pump to change the fuel filter.

I hope that it is just the filter, they are cheap and pretty easy to replace. It would be a little odd to have one fail at only 70k, but it's hard to say what the quality of the fuel has been through the car's life. One dirty fill up can do some damage to the filter.

I change mine every 30k mi as a matter of practice.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by bbjack
Today while driving to work ( around 80 miles one way) I sped up teh car to over take from 70 to 85-90 the started to slow down to my normal speed 70-75 but I noticed the a kind of jerk in the engine ( may be its the gear box not sure), it kept propping up for say 5-6 miles run, the I had to stop for Gas I could not hear or feel the jerks there after. I know I have seen similar issues been discussed here
thanks
i had the same problem and changed my glow plugs that sit on the spark plugs and the air flow sensor and the jurking stopped i dont think its the gears it must be misfiring

Old 03-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Is it jerking when you let off the gas to coast down?
yes, this happens to my X, what is that? And it happens sometimes when I put in reverse and hit the gas.

Also, you are in Aurora, IL, cool, so am I. What are some good shops in Aurora? I take mine to Ogden Motorcar in Lisle, IL.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:01 PM

I also get a lurch/jerk too when i let off the gas to coast. What is it?

Old 03-06-2010, 02:20 AM

Yep I get this randomly. It doesn't always happen. But whenever it happens, I'm usually in 4th. Everytime I get off the gas or get on the gas, the car shudders forward and backward a little bit. It goes on for a few minutes and goes away.

Possibly a transmission issue?

Ok I read the fuel filter and spark plugs may be a cause. Hmm...

Last edited by Master Deep; 03-06-2010 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Humy
yes, this happens to my X, what is that? And it happens sometimes when I put in reverse and hit the gas.

Also, you are in Aurora, IL, cool, so am I. What are some good shops in Aurora? I take mine to Ogden Motorcar in Lisle, IL.
Yea there are a lot of chicago area jag owners on this board. I have been taking my car to Patrick Jaguar for the past 7 years. But this last visit was terrible. Normally they have good service and don't charge me to check my car, even if I don't have any of the issues fixed. This last visit I was charged for checking my door lock mechanism and they then never called me to tell me my car was finished and ready for pickup. I had to call them 4x to find out my car is done. Took them several days longer than it should have.

I'm looking for a new shop now. I'll have a look at Ogden Motor cars. There is also a shop that specializes in European Cars right next to the Rt. 59 train station. I keep getting flyers from them. I might try them one of these days.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:49 AM

change the fuel filter and see if that makes a difference. If it's fuel flow, then your filter may be getting a little old. Also change the air filter, it'll help with buring the fuel more efficiently.

Last edited by richardtj; 09-22-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I mentioned the lurch a couple times here but didn't find too many other people experiencing it, until this thread. I did however post in the S-Type forum which has a huge thread dedicated to "The Lurch" which seems to be related back to the adaptive transmission. Not sure if ours is the same one, but here is my posts:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...d.php?p=148111

For me, the lurch has occurred less and less over time and seems to be also occur less when not in sport mode. If we do have the adaptive transmission, it would make sense that the lurch disappears as the car adapts to your driving habits. Not sure if that is the case though. However, I don't see any signs of it being a tranny problem over the last 8 months since I got my X, so that is encouraging.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I have been taking my car to Patrick Jaguar for the past 7 years. But this last visit was terrible. Normally they have good service and don't charge me to check my car, even if I don't have any of the issues fixed. This last visit I was charged for checking my door lock mechanism and they then never called me to tell me my car was finished and ready for pickup. I had to call them 4x to find out my car is done. Took them several days longer than it should have.
LOL, I took my car there for about 4 years too. I remember when they used to have hot women wearing revealing clothing to divert your attention away from the high prices and lack of customer service. Now with that gone, I could think clearly about what the hell I was doing there. It is like you are selling something to them when it comes to getting hold of someone on the status of your car. I noticed the best way to contact them is get their email address. You at least get a response within 24 hours. I remember leaving messages and not getting call backs repeatedly, LOL.

I have some stories too, where a Firestone was able to correctly diagnose an issue on my X, rather than the Jag dealer (alignment... lower arm issue, etc). Anyway, always looking for a good shop closer to home.

Are you talking about the shop right by the Naperville emissions station, with the sign outside it "did you fail emissions", another LOL

Last edited by Humy; 03-08-2010 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Jurking