Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine light won't go off!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracus
ok, they called and they said that they will not service my vehicle in there anymore because I do not believe them and because I called Jaguar Canada. Period! So she hanged up.

Now, what?

That is unbelievable. You have concerns and their solution is "Since you tattled on us, for what you deem poor customer service, we're going to cut you off. Don't come back!" I would demand an immediate meeting with the manager of the dealership. I would also start writing Jaguar Canada.

Like I mentioned before, I don't live in Calgary but, I visited that dealership when I was in Calgary looking to talk with a Tech about the melted headlight connector fix. The service advisor wouldn't let me near a tech, told me there was no other fix besides a complete harness for $1100. When I pushed back he stood up and said "That will teach you for buying a US model. Good day, thanks for visiting Jaguar Calgary" and then walked away. I was in shock. I don't want to dealer bash and thought it was just someone having a bad day but, this may be a problem at this particular dealership and the manager/owner should be made aware.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello everyone.
Jaguar Canada called me yesterday. The lady said that my vehicle it is not in warranty anymore and thet they will not cover anything. I told her that something is not normal about this whole thing since my car was fairly ok. She said is nothing she can do regarding my problem with the dealership.
But she asked me if I want a new Jaguar because she can give me a fairly doscount!
Honestly, If I will have the money for a new Jaguar I wouldn't buy a 2003!
So, no help from Jaguar Canada.

In the meantime I went to the dealership to pick up my car.
I talked to the service manager who was ready to pull me out from the dealership.
I explained to him that Friday they should give me a sheet with some results after my car was done (everything what they replaced) and that they should check again everything before let me go under the impression that everything works fine especially when I left in there over $33oo in labor). But, they let me go instead, and after a day the engine light showed again now implying that the catalytic converter is gone. Why they didn't see that before?
He said that this one probably got broken Saturday! "But no! Actually we told you in december that there are some problems with this and some misfire codes are showing up."

He said that they do not want to work on my vehicle because I called Jaguar Canada instead of trusting them.
However, in a certain moment he agreed that they should give me a notice or some results with the last computer reading before let me go.

They cleaned again the engine light. It did not appear untill today, yet, but my ABS light is going ON all the time when the doors are locking.

And this is the sheet that I have received from them yesterday:

"P0430 (bank 2 catalysit) - previously noted. As this code has returned, it will need a new catalytic converter. a New O2 senzor is also recommended at this time. A code for the LH wheel speed sensor is also present which may be due to a faulty wire harness. The main ABS fault present which may be due before this could be verified. No further repairs to be completed on this vehicle at this time.

Parts necessary - $1399.74
Labor - $1210

Now,
I went to Canadian Tire last night and as you guys suggested I bought a code reader. I bought and OBD2 3130 which was $299 plus Tax. My wife gave me this as a gift when she saw me so upset.
Last night I was reading the book in order to read some codes and let you know what I can see.
This is what I got so far:
Code Sequence 01
Code enumarator 01
Pending code is present (the yellow LED is on)

In the screen I have this code:
P1111
System Pass

Manufacturer code icon is ON also.

Now, please keep in mind that my ABS light does not go on except after a certain speed (when the doors are locking) so I really don't know what this code is related too.

How should I measure the new code when the ABS is on since I did the test with the ignition On but the engine OFF? As soon as the key is turned OFF the ABS light goes away. As soon as I am driving it shows up.

I tried to do this until my engine light will show up again. After that I need to deal with that one too.

Help please because I am desperate.

I am very keen with my vehicles and very careful. It seems like buying this specifical vehicle wasn't the best ideea. However, now I bought it, I've worked on the engine one day and now is very very clean and lots of stuff done, I should probably continue to finish this problems.

I thank you all!

Last edited by Tracus; 02-24-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM

Hello Guys,

Today in my way home the engine light showed up again.
As soon as I was home I connected the OBD2 to find out the code.

This is what I've got so far:

Code Number Sequence 01

MIL - on
Red LED - on
Freeze Frame
Generic

P0430
CATALYST SYSTEM
EFFICIENCY BELLOW
THRESHOLD (BANK 2)

FREEZE FRAME DATA
FUEL SYS1 CL
FUEL SYS2 CL
Calc LOAD (%) 18.4
ECT (*F) 185
STFT B1 (%) -7.0
LIFT B1 (%) -2.3
STFT B2 (%) -4.6
LIFT B2 (%) -3.1
FUEL PRES (PSI) 55.2
MAP (inHg) 8.5
ENG RPM 1404
VEH SPEED 36
IAT (*F) 17
MAF (lb/min) 0.784
TPS (%) 3.5

-------------------------
And I do have also
the Code Sequence Number 02
Pending
Yellow LED - on
Manufacturer Code

P1111
System Pass
--------------------------

In the meantime I found in the OBD2 wesite the description given by the technician last week
C1266 - ABS valve power relay circuit failure

However, I still don't know what I should replace to have the ABS back. As I mentioned in my previous post in their sheet the tech is saying that " code for the LH wheel speed sensor is also present which may be due to a faulty wire harness".

---------------------------

I hope you guys will give me an advice..

Thank you!

Last edited by Tracus; 02-24-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I believe the wiring to the ABS wheel sensor can develop shorts or faults - search this board, some of the techs had discussed it before.

You may need a cat converter. Perhaps try to have a local independent shop confirm these results before you replace it.

You are at a crossroads of sorts. It sounds like the dealer has washed its hands of you. So you either dig in and go up the management chain there, or drop it, move on to another shop and just try to get your car fixed and worry about the dealer later.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM

Thank you Chris,

Now, I am looking for parts. If you guys know someone please let me know asap.

Cheers

Old 02-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Tarcus, just because your sensor is reading a defiiciency does not mean that your cat is bad. It could be either set of sensors. the easiest way to test them is to back probe them with T-pins and a DVOM and see what values the O2 sensors are putting out. Its confusing but the after-cat 02's work in conjunction with the from sensors. so it is hard to tell which 02 sensor is bad. But beleive me you will know when the cat is bad. It will either rattle or clog up. The catalyst VERY VERY rarely will go bad without these symptoms. You will have to search for the acceptable values for these sensors. Another way to tell is to use your flash frame data and see which sensor is out of parameters and it would be a good place to start.

I will say though in previous experiences the after cat 02 will cause bad gas mileage and typically is the one to throw a catalyst defficiency code. I would start with it.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 AM

jaxtype, thank you for your reply.

My gas mileage is very bad. With one tank i get 200-230km. that's all. My trip computer used to show 18-19 litres/100km. After I changed all the parts that I mentioned at the begining of this post the computer shows 15-16 litres/100km. However, that is still too much gas... plus is premium...

Sometimes I am getting a weird smell of overheating or something.

How can I obtain the flash frame data ? OBD2 will work?
Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge: what is T-pins and DVOM (digital volt-ohm meter?)?

And if I can measure that through some pins where are they located and what is the procedure? Do we have a "how to" post regarding this measurements?

Do you know the code for after cat O2 sensor?

The technician write on my sheet that I need
C2S38497 OXYGEN SENSOR
C2S21143 CATALYST EXHAUST
C2S2695 GASKET
JZN100021 NUT FLANGE

Last edited by Tracus; 02-25-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont be a push over.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by pu5hkar
dont be a push over.

I am sorry, I am here to find some answers and I found very nice people.

If I am pushing too much then I apologize, I am not a car technician but I am willing to learn and find some answers to my questions as well as I am willing to share what I know. I always thought that giving to the technician as much information as possible, they will be more able to see with more accuracy the problem.
If the moderator of this website consider that I shouldn't belong to this community then he will probably let me know.

I really think your post is rude.

And if you do not have a good advice for me, why you feel like you should address me in a rude manner?
If you don't have anything related to say regarding my car problems, please do not polute my thread with your personal thoughts. I am not interested in them.

I am here to find answers, be a part of this community, share and learn about my vehicle.

Note:
Please forgive me if my english is not perfect this is my forth language and the last one I have learned.

I thank you all for your understanding.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Tracus he's not insulting you. He's saying his opinion is that you are letting the dealer off easy. He's not saying anything about your posts on the board and he's not calling you pushy.

You are wound up right now. Take a deep breath, relax, do something other than worry about this car for a few hours. It will serve you well.

Your english is fine.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 AM

I apologize then.
I am sorry, from my knowledge "don't be a push over" means something else. I thought that asking too many questions drive some of the members nuts and probably they are right, but I am willing to learn and find answers.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hang in there, Tracus. You have the right attitude here, in trying to learn what you don't know, and using common sense too. You'll get through this okay. ChrisX's suggestion to go take a deep breath and find a distraction for a bit is probably a good idea.
If I'm not mistaken, (and I could be?) Pu5hkar's native language is not english either. He does fine, but it is probably more difficult for him to express himself in a non-native language, and so his short reply needed the context of the entire thread to be understood, not simply the last few posts. I don;t think he meant to be rude at all.
(And pu5hkar; I've made an assumption based on the language patterns you use in your posts, if I'm wrong about your language, please don;t be offended, as I meant no harm)

Old 02-25-2009, 01:44 PM

I must say, I am a litle bit frustrated... I put already o lot of money in the car and still got problems. My engine light is on , my ABS light is on...
Not to mention that if I want to sell it I will probably loose money...
However, with all those things done, it's like a new car...

Thank you for your support!

Old 02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a CONVERTER for $350. It is used in the back of the motor. I am still not sure about these "BANK 1, Bank 2" numbers.
Guys a little help here, Is Bank 1 the bank that has Cylinder #1 in it and is that the "First" cylinder on the Crank? Or is it simple like Bank 1 is the front of the car and Bank 2 is the rear of the car? Or is it from Left to Right Facing the front of the engine or is it looking from the Rear of the engine. JTIS has me confused. look up the firing order and then look up cylinder order. This is fuzzy!
Anyway $350 for the cat in the REAR of the motor
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190281694207

$440 for the Cat in the FRONT of the motor
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150325883922

If it were my money I would replace the O2 sensors before replacing the cats. At that age the original O2 sensors will be less effective.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the O2 sensors can cause these very same codes. Plus they are WAY easier to replace.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM

jfenley, thank you for your reply.

Guys, in the meantime the service manager from the dealership called me and he said that they will replace the oxygen sensor for me but I will pay the sensor at cost.
I said ok. At least I will have installed the Oxygen sensor and we can see if the engine light will show again after.

That is for now.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

alright. but i would compare the cost of the sensor at an auto parts store just for reference. But the sensor should be the problem. keep us posted

Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM

I will pay $152 (tax in) for the sensor OED. It will be installed by them.
Tuesday I have appointment. I will deffinetely keep you updated!

You are awesome guys! Truly!

Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Good day guys,

I have received a phone call from the service manager from the dealership. He is saying that replacing just the O2 sensor it may be a bad ideea because the catalytic converter can destroy the new sensor as well, so his technician said that replacing both parts is the way to go. Is that true?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Can these guys really not figure out if your cat converter is garbage or not?

Old 02-26-2009, 01:31 PM

It seems like they don't know or they don't care. What can I say?
From their point of view it must be replaced and the O2 too.

But from what I know the Cat Converter will not simply die without a reason. Right?
What makes the converter to die? It must be the too much unburned fuel who gives to the catalytic converter more work and that it will melt it, right?

After all the work done, my vehicle is still "eating" lots of gas so it must be a problem somewhere. Can still be something wrong or now it is because of the catalytic converter?
However no other codes are present except the catalytic converter one.

I really don't know what to think and if I should by the Catalytic Converter or not.

The engine can run with a bad catalytic converter?

Last edited by Tracus; 02-26-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine light won't go off!