X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Varnish

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rothe
Adam - While I believe that you are correct to state that the original handbook for your car explicitly said that you should not use synthetic motor oils, it is apparent to the rest of us that this guidance has been superseded by more recent factory guidance. Please try again to download and review the handbook supplement that I referenced earlier in this thread. You will see for yourself that synthetics are now approved.

mmolaik - you have correctly stated that additives shouldn't be used, as per the current factory guidance. However, I believe that you have mis-stated the factory's position on synthetics; the current guidance does not state that only synthetics should be used, but only that they are an option.
I stated that all the oils recommended by Jagaur in the Owners handbook are synthetic oils. The oils are: 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40. These are synthetic oils. Theses are multigrade oils and they perform satisfactory in both cold and hot climates and they do not carbonise/degrade as fast as monograde oils (mineral oils). Using any other oil is a personal choice.

Please do research on these oils so that we are on the same level.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mmolaik
I stated that all the oils recommended by Jagaur in the Owners handbook are synthetic oils. The oils are: 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40. These are synthetic oils. Theses are multigrade oils and they perform satisfactory in both cold and hot climates and they do not carbonise/degrade as fast as monograde oils (mineral oils). Using any other oil is a personal choice.

Not all multigrade oils are synthetics. Most petroleum-based motor oils are not monograde. Not all 5W-30 and 5W-40 oils are synthetics. FWIW, I would agree that the only 0W oils that I have seen, to date, are synthetics.

None of the Jaguar handbooks explicitly state that only synthetic motor oils should be used. They merely state that they are allowable options. We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

But we agree that synthetic motor oils are better for our cars than petroleum-based motor oils.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
I downloaded the thread provided, however once I downloaded it none of the documents would open, so I can read what the new direction Jaguar has taken.
You'll need to install a PDF-file reader on your system. Adobe Reader is the most popular one, available here:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO

Old 10-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Files

Originally Posted by rothe
You'll need to install a PDF-file reader on your system. Adobe Reader is the most popular one, available here:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/?promoid=BUIGO
I do have Adobe reader on my computer and up to date also and still could not open your files.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Smile For the record

Originally Posted by mmolaik

I did not say Jaguar said explicitly that you had to use dino oil in the X type V6 I said "Jaguar do not recommend us of synthetic oil in the V6 engine." you write Jaguar recommends synthetic oil in their cars. So IMHO you can use either Dino or synthetic oils in these engines, I do agree that synthetic is better then a dino oil. Also motor oil is not mineral oil. Motor oils are carbon based oils.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

The line between conventional and synthetic oils is getting more and more blurred. I have no problem running synthetic oils and have been running in in my 2001 S-Type - which btw. had a VVT code set when I bought it. I have been running synthetic oils in it ever since and it's been working great, and no more P1383/P1388 codes.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:34 AM
LEB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an update regarding English Varnish and changing my oil: I did put in 'CD2' and ran the engine for about 100 miles. Didn't notice any changes or problems. Anyways, changed the oil to royal purple synthetic and for the past 1,200 miles (busy month), I've also had no problems. Engine and drive-train runs great I have to say. Doesn't seem as sluggish but that also includes changing the TC, Diff and Trans fluids to synthetic as well and topping them off at the right levels. I should mention that if you don't top up the trans fluid, you most likely will have squeaking/grinding noises like I did hehe.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Smile Vvt

Originally Posted by cstich
The line between conventional and synthetic oils is getting more and more blurred. I have no problem running synthetic oils and have been running in in my 2001 S-Type - which btw. had a VVT code set when I bought it. I have been running synthetic oils in it ever since and it's been working great, and no more P1383/P1388 codes.
Do you mean the car had a trouble VVT code set? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I running Castrol 5w 30 conventional oil and everything seems to be OK.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, it had the VVT error codes set. This stopped occuring a while after I had changed the oil to a high quality synthetic.

Several thousand miles later I had the PCM reflashed (mainly to improve transmission shifting - but this also takes care of the overly eager VVT error reporting) - but for those few thousand miles before the reflash but running synthetic oil, the codes no longer got set.

The engine in general is very clean - saw that the valvetrain was spotless when I changed the valve cover gaskets a while back.